How important is dual cam?

komobu

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really dont know what to buy, but would like to be under 200 dollars. I would really like something with front and rear cameras. I was considering the the vantrue N3 which has a display in a mirror that is put over you mirror. I would kind of like a display for reverse parking where I could see any obstacles that do not appear in my mirror.

I would like it to be reliable and use super caps instead of batteries. I looked at the Street Guardian but it doesnt look like they have any dual cams. I also looked at the blackvue DR490-2ch but it would probably end up being closer to 300 dollars.

I would also like to use it to capture vandalism and parking lot bumps.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Two cameras .. ( A118c perhaps ) If you buy them on special you might do it for $100

Street Guardian does have the SG9663DC dual cam which is just hitting the market right now. This one does not have perking mode but if they can implement it well that is in their future plans for this cam. Not too many cams have a really good 'parking mode' so careful study is due there to make sure the one you choose will do what you want.. Blackvue do a good parking mode and are reliable but there's nothing more good to say about them. The Mini 0906 has a quasi-parking mode which might be suitable for you but it has sensitivity issues according to some users. And I'm not sure if the rear cam can activate recording with it.

Every cam is a compromise but dual cams are moreso. And there are fewer of them to choose from but that is improving. Some of us choose to use two separate cams to get more of the specific qualities we want. You may want to consider that option if you can't find a dual cam you like. For driving purposes, a single cam in front is generally more than enough to show that you bear no fault in an incident but unless you back into a parking space it may not capture an incident there. The A119V2 series cams have a decent quasi-parking mode though they are single cams, but if fitment of the rear cam is workable I believe that will give you the best you can get near your stated budget.

Phil

Dual cameras are nice, but one camera on the windscreen should be fine to document you do nothing wrong with your driving, and so what ever happen off camera cant be your fault.

Off course with more cameras you stand a larger chance of capturing things directly.

Street Guardian does have the SG9663DC dual cam which is just hitting the market right now. This one does not have perking mode but if they can implement it well that is in their future plans for this cam. Not too many cams have a really good 'parking mode' so careful study is due there to make sure the one you choose will do what you want.. Blackvue do a good parking mode and are reliable but there's nothing more good to say about them. The Mini 0906 has a quasi-parking mode which might be suitable for you but it has sensitivity issues according to some users. And I'm not sure if the rear cam can activate recording with it.

Every cam is a compromise but dual cams are moreso. And there are fewer of them to choose from but that is improving. Some of us choose to use two separate cams to get more of the specific qualities we want. You may want to consider that option if you can't find a dual cam you like. For driving purposes, a single cam in front is generally more than enough to show that you bear no fault in an incident but unless you back into a parking space it may not capture an incident there. The A119V2 series cams have a decent quasi-parking mode though they are single cams, but if fitment of the rear cam is workable I believe that will give you the best you can get near your stated budget.

Phil
+1

If budget is an issue, I might recommend getting a separate 1CH later on for the rear.
As far as how important it goes, if you get rear ended, having the front camera is going to prove what lane you were in and whether you did or didn't brake check anyone.
Where it may fall short is if someone rear ends you, pulls a U-turn and takes off as you don't have their plate (eyewitnesses may help of course)

For parking incidents, if you only have a front camera, back in whenever possible.
If the car is parallel parked, you're probably more likely to get backed into rather than rear ended just by nature of how well drivers can judge distance in front vs. behind.

Back