How is everyone liking their Mobius Maxi? Would you recommend buying this vs. the Mobius C2?

sam81

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was going to pick up another Mobius C2 but noticed the Mobius Maxi. Any recommendations either way?

Thanks.

not quite there yet but I still would choose the Maxi over an M1, there's a lot more left in the Maxi, the M1 has had lens changes but no other development for the past 2 years so it's realistically gone as far as it can from a development perspective

I did a couple of quick comparisons between the Maxi and Mobius 1 C2.
See HERE
and HERE

As has been said many times before, if you want to buy a cam today, then be sure you will be happy with it as it is right now because further development may not happen. The M2 fiasco broke my confidence in Mobius, but they are slowly regaining that with the Maxi. The original M1 is essentially at it's top limits now other than lens swaps, but the Maxi should be able to better that by a good margin by virtue of better hardware. Whether they will do that remains to be seen, but so far they're doing OK.

If they will do the Maxi as thoroughly as they did the M1, it too will have a world-beater reputation of excellence for years to come just like it's older sibling did.

Phil

Indeed the Maxi are okay, and i would personally take that one over the M1 as the footage "as is" now are by no means garbage, and the hardware are better / can be made to do better.
You have to remember the M1 is where it is in relation to its potential due to quite a few years of little improvements, the Maxi should be able to do the same as it also have a defined set or rules to work within.
The M2 was a whole other ball game, where mobius pretty much had to invent the game and the rules for it too, and that proved to be not as easy as expected.

you should certainly judge things on where they're at development wise at time of purchase, I'm sure the Maxi can get better, but I'd still say it has the advantage over the M1 already, would still be my choice of the two

you should certainly judge things on where they're at development wise at time of purchase, I'm sure the Maxi can get better, but I'd still say it has the advantage over the M1 already, would still be my choice of the two

Last question... the existing mSetup Configuration Utility is compatible with the Maxi, correct?

Last question... the existing mSetup Configuration Utility is compatible with the Maxi, correct?
You will find that msetup for the maxi is limited in its options. No 128 step adjustments etc. Msetup worked perfectly when I have used it with my maxi.

You will find that msetup for the maxi is limited in its options. No 128 step adjustments etc. Msetup worked perfectly when I have used it with my maxi.
Yes, the range of setup options for the Maxi is different to the M1. You can preview the options by selecting the default startup camera in mSetup by going to Tools -> Advanced.
1539189462141.png

I'm quite liking my maxi. Stock lens doesn't have the best FOV but pleasantly surprised with the quality and i'm only running at 1440p.

It's had two firmware updates in my time of ownership so far but I can't compare that to the original mobius frequency as I never owned one.

I would call it equal overall at this point. Each one has it's strengths and weaknesses, but only the Maxi has the possibility for substantial firmware improvement. I'd still choose the old one if what I needed was the most reliable cam under tough conditions mainly because it has a track record for that. The Maxi hasn't been out long enough to hold the same esteem in this department but so far so good.

Phil

If the developer brings up the low light image capturing ability the maxi would be quite adequate as a front cam. Other than the fish eye lens distorting the edges (as is true in most affordable dash cams with wide vision) and the signal to noise ratio being excessive this seems like a decent cam overall. It does lack a low light sensor as most cams do.

I only took a chance on this after seeing TonyM's maxi footage. My disappointment came about when I realized the city lights are a cheat and falsify the results when we are determining how well night footage is captured on quiet country roads.

Back