How long do dash cams last?

BackAndForth

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I really want a dash cam, however possibly a non-existing one: dual channel, reliable, reasonable image quality and time lapse parking mode. I don't want to have to constantly remove and put them back all the time, plus I need my cigarette lighter free for whenever I want to use my GPS. Like another poster said in a previous topic, I want a "dash cam that doesn't suck", in other words, I want it to work without having to rewire it or play with the firmware or watch it reset itself all the time. I do not have the time nor the patience for that.

I'm afraid that might put me in the most expensive dash cams category, and if so, then I would expect them to work for several years, not only for 12 or 24 months. Can I expect that?

What about the temperature variations? I live in Canada and it can get from -28 to +37. I guess I would have no choice but to accept that a dash cam will only work until my car has had time to heat up to some extent, unfortunately, but would that shorten the dash cam's lifespan?

BTW, I drive a 2007 Sedan Yaris, which I love and am planning to keep until it's rusty and unsafe. I'd like to at least try to install it myself. I believe I could manage to conceal the wire, but the hard-wire part to the fusebox scares me. Is it risky to attempt by oneself without a mechanical background? I don't even know how to reach the fusebox right now.

First, a welcome to DCT is in order :)
Almost all dashcams pretty much take care of themselves, starting and stopping with the ignition key switch. It is when you get past this basic function that there is more to deal with.

If you want a parking mode that may require a hardwire kit or you may have to press a button for that. If you want parking mode for more than a few hours you may need a BDP to prevent a dead car battery or a powerbank to run the cam when parked. There are devices which do this automatically for you. It's not that complicated or hard to handle once you get it all installed, and installation is usually pretty easy. An alternative is to leave the cam recording constantly, again for longer times you need to protect the car battery or use a powerbank

Firmware updates can often be forgotten about except with new cam bugs which are still being corrected by the factory. If you cam is working satisfactirily you don't need them but some will improve performance which might be worthwhile.

A battery-equipped cam might work with your temps but a super-cap equipped cam would be more certain. Most good dashcams use super-caps now. And in your climate any good cam should function without delays due to heat or cold.

End price will vary based on your needs, but a good basic cam can be had for $60-$70 US and a good SD card for 8 hours recording time is about $30 US. It is not wise to go much lower than this for normal prices as the cheaper cams and cards will die or disappoint. Really good cams go for just above $100 US and up. Want to dump $1000 into a cam system? You can do that too.

A good cam will last several years- exactly how long is hard to say as there are variables, but many of us here are still using cams over 3 and 4 years old with no problems. Many old but still-working cams go out of service simply because newer and much better cams come to the market so we upgrade.

Every cam will benefit from occasionally checking the SD card for function and errors occasionally and all will benefit from reformatting occasionally too. Just takes a few minutes time every couple three months to do this. It's like a regular check-up with your doctor just to be sure all is well.

The perfect cam has not been made and never will be. You won't get out of it what you don't put into it. The needed effort and care is small but important and if you want a dashcam that satisfies you then you'll have to deal with this same as the rest of us or wait until someone makes something better hoping you don't need a dashcam until then.

As an old friend was fond of saying "You can't always want what you get" because often what you want doesn't exist and what you can get isn't perfect, but it can usually be good enough if you'll bend a little in your wants ;)

Phil

My $30 knockoff K6000 that recorded up to 480p (everything else was upscaled) finally kicked the bucket mid-2017. I bought it in 2013 or so. Not too shabby. It was used every day too, in all sorts of weather.

My lukas LK-7500 still go strong in my sisters car, got it October 2013.
A good dashcam ( not cheap ) should last pretty much as long as you want to use it, and the weak link in it will be the memory card.

Thank you for the warm welcome, @SawMaster. Thank you also for explaining about the BDP, that was still a blurry point for me. I do not mind normal handling of the system, I simply do not want to have to fiddle a lot with it to sort out issues that shouldn't exist in the first place.

I'm starting to think that perhaps I should aim at something relatively simple for the remainder of my car's life, and perhaps save the money for a more complete system, specifically allocating money for it in what I'm going to spend on the new car. In the meantime, dash cams will keep improving as well, I imagine. I'll give it more thoughts and will post again if I'm unsure.

Thanks a lot to everyone for sharing your personal experiences. It's reassuring!

My thoughts are reliability is first and foremost- better to always have a half-decent vid than not getting the crystal clear one you expected :eek: Vid quality is next. I drive some at night and want good night vids, which usually means daytime vids will be a bit lesser. I'm OK with that but if you drive little at night then just go for daytime vid quality :cool: In the latter case the old AR0330 sensor can still hold it's own and can be found in many cheaper cams. You'll see something at night, just not a lot or color or detail. The Viofo A118C, the original Mobius with caps added, or the G1W-C are good there. If like me you want better at night, a cam with the Sony IMX 322 or 323 sensor is the way to go, and most new cams are using that sensor. The Aukey DR 01, G1W-S, or the B1W are good here though the B1W currently has audio issues and the G1W-S isn't so sharp on daytime vids. If you can do without good audio the B1W Is my fave economy cam right now because it is discreet and simple but needs either an Andriod or IOS device to access the menu as it has no screen.

Look for flash sales and with some luck a cam and 32GB card might be had for under $70-$80 :) Still under or at $100 at full retail. This is about the least you'll spend to get that all-important reliability; anything less is taking chances. And if you want, when you get that new car you can keep this cam and put it in the back with a nicer new cam in front ;) Just be careful to not get addicted- I currently have 8 cams and only 2 cars but I can always use another good cheap cam :ROFLMAO:

Phil

My thoughts are reliability is first and foremost- better to always have a half-decent vid than not getting the crystal clear one you expected :eek:
I couldn't agree more! :LOL:

Come to think of it, even though I wanted dual channel, I drive almost all the time in Quebec and we have no front license plates here, so if I am to get a dash cam in the back, I suppose there is no need for it to show every little detail. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I don't drive that much at night, but the days are so short in winter here that nighttime is early.

While searching to find where I could have a dash cam installed if I'd rather not do it myself, I stumbled over a company that is apparently developing entirely their own products. They just released a high-end product: https://www.camaupoint.com/en/5000-camaup-new/ . They are relatively new (2.5 years) and there are very few reviews out there on the web; all I know is that no complaint has been registered yet through the provincial consumers protection agency. I wouldn't be able to tell how reliable it is, but if it really does all that it claims to do, it does look like it's the perfect product on paper. Obviously, the price follows (keep in mind it's in Canadian dollars however). If I compare with the cost for two sets of quality dual channel dash cams, they don't seem out of line to me. What do you think of it?

Back