How long does your Mobius last on battery?

sam81

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought my Mobius in January and I think it has the 500MAH battery. It's always plugged into the car's USB port so battery life for that purpose is not a problem but I need it to make videos in an airplane. I'm wondering how long it would last on battery. I think I read somewhere that it can last up to an hour but I was curious to actual battery usage and life.

I'll probably end up getting a second Mobius and it seems that they're currently selling them with 820MAH batteries. Maybe about an hour and a half of battery life? My flight lessons usually last about 1.00 to 1.30 hours and sometimes up to 2.00 hours so trying to determine if I need the USB power supply.

Thanks.

I bought my Mobius in January and I think it has the 500MAH battery. It's always plugged into the car's USB port so battery life for that purpose is not a problem but I need it to make videos in an airplane. I'm wondering how long it would last on battery. I think I read somewhere that it can last up to an hour but I was curious to actual battery usage and life.

I'll probably end up getting a second Mobius and it seems that they're currently selling them with 820MAH batteries. Maybe about an hour and a half of battery life? My flight lessons usually last about 1.00 to 1.30 hours and sometimes up to 2.00 hours so trying to determine if I need the USB power supply.

Thanks.

A Mobius running on a fresh 820 mAh battery should provide two hours of run time.

You might also consider a small power bank if you need to run the camera for longer periods of time away from a 12V power source.

P.S. It's really best to post threads like this in the Mobius forum.

Hello. Just realized that there is a separate Mobius forum section so I'll re-post my question here:

Thanks.

The hard bit is take off and landing with time passing in between and if you cut your lesson time to under the battery life of your mobius....

You would save a packet on a new mobius !!

And a bit on lesson time!!!!!!!÷÷

In a not too cold climate you should get the 1.5 houres of recording you need, but you can extend that a whole lot with a small USB powerbank, somthing like 3000 mah or smaller will do just fine and have about the same size as the mobius.

Better safe than sorry, and a powerbank in the small end of the spectrum should be pretty cheap too.

Hello. Just realized that there is a separate Mobius forum section so I'll re-post my question here:

Thanks.
My post on RC Groups should tell you almost everything you want to know about the Mobius batteries/power supply
Quick answer: Expect 80 mins. from the original 520mAh battery and over 2 hours with the new 820mAh battery. Times were measured from a new battery.

My post on RC Groups should tell you almost everything you want to know about the Mobius batteries/power supply
Quick answer: Expect 80 mins. from the original 520mAh battery and over 2 hours with the new 820mAh battery. Times were measured from a new battery.

In your write up you mentioned "The Mobius ActionCam will run for about 80 minutes from a new fully charged 520mAh internal battery...".

Does that refer to the camera being on or the camera actually recording video?

I plan to have it make videos on takeoffs and landings, and have it on standby while in the air. Does having it on standby drain just as much battery power as recording, or less? I would guess that standby would drain less.

But I do remember that the camera does shut off automatically after 20 or so seconds of non-use. Can that be disabled (or should it be?)?

In your write up you mentioned "The Mobius ActionCam will run for about 80 minutes from a new fully charged 520mAh internal battery...".

Does that refer to the camera being on or the camera actually recording video?

I plan to have it make videos on takeoffs and landings, and have it on standby while in the air. Does having it on standby drain just as much battery power as recording, or less? I would guess that standby would drain less.

But I do remember that the camera does shut off automatically after 20 or so seconds of non-use. Can that be disabled (or should it be?)?
The times are for recording, without video-out (TV-out). The camera will last a lot longer if in standby mode. You can set or disable the timeout delay. If you have a Windows PC I suggest you download mSetup to see all the settings available. If you don't have a camera connected you can still see all the possible settings and tooltips, they will just be grayed-out. The manual is also integrated in the program so you can view that as well.

Another way to easily see all the available mSetup options without even having to install the software on a computer would be to visit post #6 of the The Mobius ActionCam Support Thread on RCgroups Forum. (One of Isoprop's posts)

Last edited:
Another way to easily see all the available mSetup options without having to install the software on a computer would be to visit post #6 of the The Mobius ActionCam Support Thread on RCgroups Forum. (One of Isoprop's posts)
Good one!
Unfortunately I've been lazy recently, so the Misc. Settings tab is missing the Video File Name parameter. Otherwise all parameters are valid. I'll replace the image when I have a bit more spare time.
Compare these parameters with the parameters available with v0.59 and you won't want 'old' firmware.
I made a comparison video just over a year ago proving that v0.59 is not nearly as good as more recent firmware versions in low light conditions. At least that was the general opinion (100% of all comments I received by email/PM). The comparison was made using 3 identical cameras recording at the same time, at the same position. Only the firmware versions were different. This is the ONLY way to make comparisons.
But, the choice is yours - use whatever firmware version you want - but please don't make any complaints. Old versions are NOT supported.

If you fully drain the battery on the Mobius, when you plug it in to an electrical source, how long does it take for the cam to begin charging, reboot and start recording?

If you fully drain the battery on the Mobius, when you plug it in to an electrical source, how long does it take for the cam to begin charging, reboot and start recording?
I recently updated my Mobius to firmware 2.41 and started using the camera's go-to-motion-detection-after-power-disconnect mode. It's sort of a parking mode that lasts only as long as your battery. My Mobius is fairly old so I only get about 30-45 minutes of "parking mode" motion detection until the battery runs flat and it shuts off. After the battery is drained, when I turn on the car the Mobius immediately turns on and starts recording with no delay whatsoever compared to when it does have some charge left in the battery.

How long should it take to charge? Mine takes hours, much longer than any other device I have.

How long should it take to charge? Mine takes hours, much longer than any other device I have.

It can take up to 2.5 hours to fully charge a depleted Mobius 820 mAh battery. If it takes a lot longer than that it's time to replace it. You should be using a charger than can supply a minimum of 1 amp.

I've just replaced it! I'm using the same charger I use for the iPhone.

Last edited:
New one lasts 3 hours on motion detection mode for me

Back