How many cameras do u get?

Lettuce1234

Reaction score
Country
United States
i have two now one with supercapsicator for rear recording and the other to use as needed? Would getting another to focus in the car be overkill? Can I plug 1,2, or 3 cameras into one cigarette plug?

Lettuce1234

i have two now one with supercapsicator for rear recording and the other to use as needed? Would getting another to focus in the car be overkill? Can I plug 1,2, or 3 cameras into one cigarette plug?

Lettuce1234

You mean you want to hardwire all 3-4 dashcams into 1 cigarette lighter plug and then connect into cigarette lighter socket, or you want to use 4-way cigarette lighter splitter ?

For multiple dashcams side by side tests I am using THIS and had no problems so far.

I've got four supercaps mobius powered off the same fuse through a Power Magic Pro. No problems whatsoever.

There are lots of folk who have placed a camera recording inside the car, it's popular with taxi drivers. If that's what you want to do, then go ahead. I have 4 devices plugged into my lighter socket. I've read that you can plug in a maximum of 7 devices.

depends entirely on the fuse rating of your cigarette adapter. check your car's fuse box diagram for CIG or ACC or similar and see what it's rated to. most are 10 to 15 amps which is enough for 8 or so 1-amp devices before you run the risk of blowing the fuse (cigarette adapters are not 100% efficient as they regulate the voltage from ~14v off your battery down to 5v for the camera)

DO NOT swap out the fuse for a higher one, there is a reason the fuse is rated at that amperage!

but basically unless you're working for the NSA you should have more than enough juice for however many cameras and other gizmos you want. and if not you can always hardwire them.

Last edited:
A circuit intended for an actual cigarette lighter will be robust, but ones intended for use only as a 'power point' may be far less so. They should still be adequate for 4 of the common dashcams and more anyway. The usual problems found here are inadequate cheap 'splitters'. I have a 30A direct-to-battery circuit and a real cigarette lighter socket to power mine. Going to add a couple more sockets soon.

A cheap way to create a "fat" circuit like mine is to use some economy jumper cables and a fuseholder at the battery. Cut the clamps off and wire direct with an appropriate terminal. These have thick insulation and they usually cost about half of what regular wire of that size costs. You may have problems finding a place to penetrate the firewall with something this big though. Be sure to fuse this as close to the battery as is possible, that much current shorted out equals huge amounts of smoke!

Phil

Back