How many dash cams are there in the USA?

tooshy

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I'm doing a little research project.
Does anyone know where I can find estimated numbers on how many dash cams are sold per year in the USA or how many dash cams there are?

Tooshy I don't think youll find any research on that...could be wrong. I think the idea is still relatively new in the US. I have read in Russia one in three people have one. They just arnt popular here yet, so the research, the tech support, the market etc just isnt there..

Good luck finding that info. Where I live in the US it's probably 1 cam per 3000 cars; they have not become popular yet but that is changing. It does seem that some people are using their phones as dashcams based on how those are mounted on their dash; they will discover the limitations of that when summer comes again :eek: The few true dashcams which I've noticed are mostly low-end models. Only those of us who spend time doing our research seem to know the value the good cams and have them :)

I doubt that we will ever equal Russia but a 10%-15% figure in my state wouldn't surprise me a few years from now; nationally will probably be half of that.

Phil

Yeah .. Hard to tell ...
Just look on GB and BG , as well as Ebay ...
GB has dropped quite a lot of its listing ( Probably because they were not in stock and would possibly never be in stock )

As for how many run cams ?
Quite a lot in Russia , especially due to corruption and seriously bad driving ..
Not so popular in the west for some reason .. Perhaps too many fearful of the double edged sword ..
Expect cam use to explode in the next 5 years .. ( People watch U tube )

These two articles are a bit dated but I think the basic gist of them still applies.

I've been using dash cams for six and a half years and in all this time I have seen only a few in other vehicles. Also, I happen to live in an area that brings in thousands of tourists from all over the country year round and I've only seen one out of state car with a dash cam.

I do see more and more overpriced but very low end, essentially obsolete dash cams sold in chain and Big Box stores. These are generic Chinese cameras that don't even get mentioned here on DCT anymore and didn't get much attention in the first place except in the early days of this site. Perhaps the crappy performance and ridiculous prices of some of these cameras is a factor in their less than stellar adoption?

Why Americans Don't Use Dash Cams

Dashcams can reveal so much, but they rarely lure U.S. drivers

My opinion about the lack of dash cam interest in the US is it's more a matter of complacency than anything else. As the one article mentioned in passing if there's no immediate pay back and no requirement to have it (as there is for insurance) many people acknowledge there is 'some' benefit to having one but take the attitude that "I haven't needed it up until now so it can wait a bit longer".

My wife was that way until she was rear ended some time back and, even though there was no damage, she saw the potential need. Just this past weekend I was having dinner with a family member who's been 'thinking about' getting one for well over a year now. o_O

I even fell into that category up until the time a pedestrian (with her face firmly planted into her cell phone) nearly walked into the side of my car in a shopping center. No doubt if she had run into me the claim would have been that I hit her. That was enough to convince me it was time for an impartial full-time witness.

Roughly the dash camera market is worth about 2.2billion USD worldwide. This is anticipated to increase to 4b USD worldwide by 2020. This is based on readily available research and our own research.

It gets complicated in estimating how many dash cameras there are as with cross boarder buying prices can vary. If you stick to a model of: whatever country that person is in they bought it from it's far simpler. However, doing this globally is going to be a ball ache. The main 4 countries for dash cameras are:
1) Russia
2) USA
3) China
4) UK

The dash camera world can be roughly split into three areas:

- Europe (inc Russia)
- Asia
- USA

Each one is roughly worth 30% (ish - and I mean very ish).

So the average price for the UK is about £45ish give or take.

The exchange rate back in 2016 had an average I think of about 1.4 so 45*1.4 = 63 so split 2.2billion into 30% = 733million. Divide 733million/63=11.6million dash cameras roughly in Europe.

***DISCLAIMER***
The maths is not right. THERE ARE NOT 11.6MILLION DASH CAMERAS IN EUROPE (INCLUDING RUSSIA). However, this will give you a guide on how to roughly find out.

I have a more complicated model and more accurate that I cannot share, but this model gives a decent idea. The more detail you put in the closer it will be. The more data you give it, the more accurate it will be. It just depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Kind regards,

Dan

"The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) estimates dash cams will become more mainstream in US cars soon, and dash cam sales rose 9 percent in 2016 (wholesale) and 7 percent in dollars. By 2017, dash cam sales could reach a total of $52 million, possibly even $90 million when combined with rear windshield or backup camera sales."

Sorry I didn't define:
Dash cams are classes as vehicle cameras such as ones on trains, trams, busses, refuse vehicles, street cleaners, and the ones you install.in cars.

Car dash cams are relatively new compared to the above ones.

PS
I also clearly stated that this was NOT accurate but gave some workings out.

Perhaps try your "secret", complicated and more accurate model before publicly posting the "Main" countries that have adopted dash cams. That must be a very, very deep rabbit hole indeed.

I've only seen maybe a handful of cameras while driving around over the past year, but, in supermarket car parks there are ALWAYS one or two cameras on display and that's only walking past a small number of the total cars parked there. Halfords (very popular UK shop for motorists and cyclists alike) have sold them for a while. Just about every fuel station has had one of those bargain bucket things in at some point. Citroen are now offering a built-in dashcam, called the Citroen ConnectedCam, available on new C3 models. I think there is a lot of interest but some folk aren't willing to take the plunge yet for whatever reason. :confused:

By penetration rate as a percentage South Korea and Taiwan are the highest, their total volume isn't the largest though and are still dwarfed by other markets

That's an interesting distinction. I guess the OP is asking for numbers of units but as far as I can tell, no one seems able to answer that question beyond estimates; referring more to gross wholesale sales figures.

Last edited:
That's an interesting distinction. I guess the OP is asking for numbers of units but as far as I can tell, no one seems able to answer that question beyond estimates; referring to more to gross wholesale sales figures.
very hard to get numbers (accurate numbers at least), even things like GFK reports are skewed as they are voluntary and generally only major brands contribute their data to the service, if I were to take a guess based on the numbers I know of I would say the USA market would be lucky to be 1% of cars having dashcams, that might go as high as 2% though if you look at the industrial side of things where their use has been happening a lot longer in fleet vehicles etc but they're not the type of product that gets talked about here so I'd guess those are of little interest to whatever the OP is trying to work out

I have seen less than 5 dash cam in cars here in US, incl go pro. So I would say, not so many cams.
One time you could buy not cheap, but not great camera in Costco.
Insurance company won't give any benefits either.
So it more for my safety to have video to back up my statement and some drive video.

I'm doing a little research project.
What is that research for?

On the local morning TV news there was a short snippet about consumer dashcams. They may put a link to it on their website overnight which I will then post here. They showed a few oddball models which looked like retail displays but they didn't say where they were. That TV station uses viewer-donated dashcam vids for driving weather pics and accident scene pics so I know some are out there though I rarely see any. The vids they've shown so far are all good IQ, 1080p or better.

It's still a growing market but not growing fast in the US. I'm not sure when the growth will stop and at what level, but I'll always have mine- once you've had one it's hard to drive without one ;)

Back