How many GB card to get?

yuppicide

Reaction score
Country
United States
I drive up to 8 hours a day. How many GB card should I get for best quality and no sound if I could turn that off? I don't have a lot of money so I'm hoping to find a good deal locally.

If you want to keep all the 8 hours, I think 64GB is just about enough. 30% is reserved for events so you only have 70% for normal recording. If you want to be sure of keeping a full day then maybe get a 128GB, they are good value now and should have twice the lifespan of a 64GB since they wear out based on the number of writes to each byte.

If you don't need to keep all 8 hours, just the events, and you are happy to either press the lock button, or change card, if there is something important to be kept, then you could use a 32GB card, but 64GB doesn't cost much more and if I had a 32GB then I would also want a 2nd card to swap out to ensure important stuff doesn't get overwritten, so a 64GB would be a better choice.

You don't need the most expensive card, any class 10 or UHS 1 is fine.

You can turn sound off, but I don't think it saves any space, just records silence.

Thanks. I didn't know cards were so cheap now. Looks like they only support up to 64GB.

Yeah I plan to keep all recordings for the day. Never know when a lady in a bikini walks by LOL.

Yes, with current prices on memory cards i would recommend 64 Gb too, if 2 channel camera then 128 Gb.
Yeah little things like that are one reason for having a camera or cameras.

I do not plan on wiring this into my car use the g sensor.. it has a supercapacitor.. if I get get out of the car and turn it off for a few minutes and get back in the camera still be running? I deliver auto parts. Sometimes I go right back on the road other times I might have to wait 5 minutes for another order.

if you hard wire the B1W it need to have a discharge prevention in the hard wire kit, but other than then when you leave the car the camera go into parking mode after a minute or so, and a kick to the rear wheel ( wearing snickers ) will be enough to trigger a event recording.
Actually i was amazed it trigger so little while i drive Vs how easy it trigger when in parking mode, but there are just one sensitivity setting i assume only go for driving, and i dont think its the same when it is parked where i think it is more sensitive.
If your ride have a always on cigarette plug, or one with a delayed off, then your deliveries will be fine i think.
But other than that you do need to hard wire the camera to get coverage when parked, otherwise the camera just do the default all dashcams do which is turn of or on with the car.
You can easy use a USB power bank to power the camera all day, then you just need to charge it in the evenings as most power banks dont support both charging and use at the same time.

Using a power bank was how i tested the parking mode of the B1W as i dont have a hard wire kit in my car yet.

I do not plan on wiring this into my car use the g sensor.. it has a supercapacitor.. if I get get out of the car and turn it off for a few minutes and get back in the camera still be running? I deliver auto parts. Sometimes I go right back on the road other times I might have to wait 5 minutes for another order.
As kamkar1 said, the capacitor will not run the camera while you drop off deliveries if the engine is off. It only runs for a few seconds to save the last video file.

A powerbank sounds like a good option to keep the B1W running all day. 10000mah is enough for 8 hours.

If your car has permanent live 12v socket then that would be your first choice.

Thanks. I didn't know cards were so cheap now. Looks like they only support up to 64GB.
As Nigel said, if you want to keep all the 8 hours, a 64GB card is just about enough. 30% (about 10g)is reserved for events so you only have 70%(35Gb) for normal recording.

Just a question also if anyone knows the answer..
As kamkar1 said, the capacitor will not run the camera while you drop off deliveries if the engine is off. It only runs for a few seconds to save the last video file.

A powerbank sounds like a good option to keep the B1W running all day. 10000mah is enough for 8 hours.

If your car has permanent live 12v socket then that would be your first choice.

Thanks I don't think I saw that post until later.

if you hard wire the B1W it need to have a discharge prevention in the hard wire kit, but other than then when you leave the car the camera go into parking mode after a minute or so, and a kick to the rear wheel ( wearing snickers ) will be enough to trigger a event recording.
Actually i was amazed it trigger so little while i drive Vs how easy it trigger when in parking mode, but there are just one sensitivity setting i assume only go for driving, and i dont think its the same when it is parked where i think it is more sensitive.
If your ride have a always on cigarette plug, or one with a delayed off, then your deliveries will be fine i think.
But other than that you do need to hard wire the camera to get coverage when parked, otherwise the camera just do the default all dashcams do which is turn of or on with the car.
You can easy use a USB power bank to power the camera all day, then you just need to charge it in the evenings as most power banks dont support both charging and use at the same time.

Using a power bank was how i tested the parking mode of the B1W as i dont have a hard wire kit in my car yet.

Yeah good idea. Not sure why I never thought of a power bank.

If you get a big one then its just plug in and forget until you punch the clock again, then there is the charging part but i assume that get worked in to a automatic thing.

you can also plug in and out between car power and power bank, but that would be silly and you will probably forget to do it, just when you need it the most.

If you are in one of the hot states temperatures can become a issue for a power bank.

Yeah good idea. Not sure why I never thought of a power bank.
Or you can do hardwire connection with your car always-on socket, so it can keep recording even if your car parking!

Turns out I'm just gonna plug it into the car normally.. no power bank no hard wire. I'll just turn the camera back on every time I go out.

The reason I do not want to hard wire something is because I'll have to pay someone to install it for me. I may do that later, I probably won't.

The reason I don't want to get a power bank now is because I looked at one and saw it said it can only charge 300 times or so.. I won't even get a year's use out of the battery.

Or you can do hardwire connection with your car always-on socket, so it can keep recording even if your car parking!

I do see the hardwire kit. I just don't want to pay someone to do it and don't want to do it myself. My car is my work vehicle.

putting in a hard wire kit for a dashcam are not that bad, you will find several how to videos on this on youtube.
but of course if you are 10 thumbs, or just dont have much in way of tools ( not that much are needed ) then i totally get you.
If you just use the provided charger in the cigarette lighter plug, the camera will start and stop with the car and you dont have to think much about it.

Mine is on a hardwire kit, and even constantly recording (not in parking mode) has little effect on the car battery over 12 hours parking time. In your situation I'd recommend using the ciggie-lighter type PS. Plug it in at the beginning of the day and unplug it when your shift is done. If you forget to unplug it overnight you'll be OK. The G-sensor works pretty well with these but some of us have had to format the card regularly when the 'event' folder gets full from G-sensor files or the cam stops recording. That seems to be a random issue with a few cams; most seem to be OK. I just pull the card and check it in my PC every 2 weeks then format the card when I'm done. You need to regularly check the card in any cam anyway so no big deal really. I haven't checked the recording time on my 64GB card but I'm getting at least 7 hours, maybe more.

Phil

Thanks for all the replies. Mine arrives today (Sunday) however I have to go pick up a memory card still.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W B1W 4
C B1W 1
Y B1W 12
J B1W 2
S B1W 9
Back