How much movement is there in the camera

MarquisOfArgon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just received the A129 Pro, and noticed the camera moves maybe 3mm or so before it clicks into its next position slot.

Is this normal? Concerned it might bounce around on the UK's harsh roads, especially with sports suspension.

Yep, that's normal. (at least my two units are the same)

Is yours black? I thought from photos they were a silvery grey, but mine is black.

Do you mean the colour of the body? Yes, it is black.

No Nigel, the whole car interior including headlining is black, so it will not stand out too much.

I'm surprised at how small it is to be honest. The photos make them appear so much bigger.

I'm surprised at how small it is to be honest. The photos make them appear so much bigger.
Viofo never put a scale in their images, so we are always having to tell people that they are not as big as they look in the advertising!
A lot of people don't want to buy them because they are too big, but they really are not too big.

I have had cameras where the best aim have been in the top of a click, and they have not dropped from there, even thoug they adjust in clicks there are still some friction in the movement within a click.

Even then sensors now are much better in dealing with unfortunate aims of the camera, years ago you should mind more aiming your camera correctly, but now anything near 50/50 will be fine

Just received the A129 Pro, and noticed the camera moves maybe 3mm or so before it clicks into its next position slot.

Is this normal? Concerned it might bounce around on the UK's harsh roads, especially with sports suspension.
Hi,
I bought 2 Viofo A129 Pro Duo's on eBay and one of them had a very loose lens assembly.
We don't leave the dashcam mounted all the time in the cars, so taking it down and putting it up on the GPS mount will knock off the position of the lens.
After reaching out to the company I bought it from, they hooked me up.
I bought both from eBay so eBay has a 30 day return policy.
Requested a return/refund on the first one and ordered another on eBay.
Long story short the next one had a loose lens too, so the company sent me a RMA for a DOA and they are reporting it to Viofo.
The company I was buying from on eBay is awesome (Blackboxmycar.com).
Their support department was wonderful.
They went out of their way for me.
The lady I spoke to in support let me order a new one again from eBay and after I placed that order, she ran down to that department with my new order number and opened the box to test the play in the lens assembly.
She even put a sticky note on the new camera I was getting saying "lens assembly was not loose" and she was right that when I received it, no play in the lens assembly.
Now the funny thing is that I told my friend about ordering the A129 Pro Duo for his ride and he had the same problem and hooked him up with the same support lady at Blackboxmycar.com.
She did a RMA/DOA for his camera and got him a replacement with no loose lens assembly.
The support lady has reported to Viofo that 4 Viofo A129 Pro front cameras with this problem.
Hope this helps maybe you.
Take care.

Once set, you could also wedge something in between the swiveling part and the rest of the camera, that might be a good idea if you take the camera off the mount often as it save you from re orientating the lens aim.

The company I was buying from on eBay is awesome (Blackboxmycar.com)

Yeah one of the prime reasons to buy local.
It is hard to deal with a guy selling out of a garage in China using google translate English, and his initial low price can soon be a pain or a outright write off.

Yeah one of the prime reasons to buy local.
It is hard to deal with a guy selling out of a garage in China using google translate English, and his initial low price can soon be a pain or a outright write off.
Well that is why I went with Blackboxmycar.com because I call them up for a warranty part replacement and not the Viofo company that is in China.
It would take forever to have Viofo ship me any replacement parts under warranty.
Trust me I know.
I ordered some memory foam insole for some of my shoes and my wife's shoes on March 16th and found out they are coming from China and still waiting.
Hopefully I get them soon or I will have to dispute with Paypal to get my money back.
Take care.

I don't think mine moves quite 3mm but I opened it to see if I could somehow stiffen the action but realized that's the best you're going to get because of the parts used. I was amazingly surprised how cheap the build quality is on these VIOFOs but haven't had any real hardware issues so far. When I had it open I noticed that the pinhole for the microphone is just cosmetic. The actual microphone is placed/taped (badly) at the vent hole and I had to reposition it so that it was facing outward. I instantly noticed better sound recording.

Back