How to create (above/below) side by side videos (center cropped full screen edge to edge)

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
Thanks @wozzzzza Original Source

I wanted to post this in the Managing / Editing Video section, since it's so good.

It's always best to show side by side videos full screen.

Since there isn't much of a reason to look at the sky on top, or hood & dash below, this editing method makes total sense. (it's all about the road, sides and cars mainly)

Follow this thread to make sure you output 30 frames per second
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/merge-2-videos-together-using-vsdc-free-video-editor.12382/

How to create Picture in Picture videos using Adobe Premiere Pro 17

Example Result:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice but adobe premier is too expensive.

Can be done for free using VSDC video editor like this one:

any how-to videos?
I can create how to video on VSDC but it's so freakin easy that it may not be worth the time.
The video I posted above took around 10 minutes (plus the processing time) after installing it for the 1st time ever.
I never even had heard it before that. :D

Thanks, easy for same is not for others. A demo would help more people take advantage of this editing trick. I'd love to see more proper side by side video posts in the forum. (Or front/rear)

Here is one how to video, it gives option to put four videos in one but you will get the idea:

You'll be a pro video splitter in 5 minutes. :D
It also allows disabling audio in clips so they don't interfere.

Thanks, easy for same is not for others. A demo would help more people take advantage of this editing trick. I'd love to see more proper side by side video posts in the forum. (Or front/rear)
Watch the demo video I posted above and after that, I'm sure it'll be very self explanatory once you play with it.
It's 10 x easier than adobe that you already know so it'll be piece of cake.

Here is another example of front/rear I did, my 2nd video using the VSDC editor for Rexing MX3 dual channel dashcam.
Notice that both front and rear are actual pixels, front is 1920x1080p and rear is 720x480p.
I could make the rear also full half lower screen if I stretch the area...
It may not have all the fancy features of premiere but for splitting purposes, it's more than enough.

Do you need to "crop boarders" as explained in the YouTube comments or do you just move the top video up off the screen a bit and rear video up but beneath?

b7139bce823e0e826e4a9ebf5a570547.jpg

Do you need to "crop boarders" as explained in the YouTube comments or do you just move the top video up off the screen a bit and rear video up but beneath?
No need to... but that's an option.
What I did is this, much easier and quicker without cropping.
On the 1st video where both front/rear were 1080p, I put the rear video to cover entire 1920x1080 area as I wanted the rear to be on the bottom half.
Since half of it was sky, I put the front video on top and moved it up so half of it is outside the area so kind of automatic cropping without cropping.
Get it? :D
Done... as I said, piece of cake.

For the 2nd video, I put 1080p front video first to cover the work area and dropped the rear 720x480p video on top and dragged it in the middle.
I could have put it in any corner or in the center etc...
;)

once I get some decent footage I have been planning for a while to do a front/rear PIP video and post but don't seem to get a lot of idiots when im around on the road.

This is a great tutorial, @wozzzzza. I was able to do the same with Cyberlink PowerDirector using the mask function. There are not many videos on how to use that function but by following this tutorial and a bit more searching on YouTube, I was able to find a method that works.

cant figure out how to actually CROP out the parts I dont want. all it does is make the video the same size with black bars.

New here, but food for thought. I have the K1S and have been wanting to do a split screen video. I use Kubuntu (Linux) for my OS and the Kdenlive for my rendering. I am computer savvy, but not multimedia/video/editing savvy, but with Kdenlive and this tutorial video, it was freakishly easy. I ended up with a fairly simple, but effective split screen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Managing / Editing Videos 6
Back