How to cut power to the cigarette lighter when the car turns off?

fucu

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a g1w-c (which is fantastic) and I used it for the first time today. The problem is it does not turn off when I turn off my car. Is there a way to cut the power without physically unplugging it each time?

If your socket is permanently powered you could have it rewired, although if you're going to that trouble then perhaps better to have a separate female socket wired in to a switched circuit and hide it away and leave your existing socket free to use for other devices

u'r stuck pulling it out, unless u do what jokiin said.
As u get comfortable w/ the cam, start reading up on what a bunch of us do to hardwire the cams. If it still scares u, u could have a knowledgeable shop do it.

Just don't wire it to the cig lighter if u want it to stop recording when the car is off. Remember however that ur'll lose the Parking mode feature by doing that (w/o an extra battery).

check your vehicle's owner's manual; my wife just bought a used *durang0* & found out the fuse box has two slots for one of the cigarette lighters depending if you want "always on" or "only on w/ ignition".
good luck

I have a permanently on cigarette lighter so I use something like this. It is affixed to the underside of the pull-out ash tray with just the switches visible and I keep the dashcam and GPS unit plugged in at all times. Only on occasion do I forget to flip the switch, but it is very convenient.

cig adapter.jpg

The cig lighter on 'my' (work) bus is always on. I use an adapter which has 2 power sockets, an LED on the top and a switch on the plug.
Never forget to switch it off as the blue LED is quite prominent.

If you want the cigarette lighter socket to turn on and off with the ignition you could wire in a relay that is activated by having the key in the ACC position, like how it is on most vehicles.

However, as mentioned earlier you may as well have it on a separate circuit, preferably not piggybacking directly off another low power feed.

OP: what car? Many cars (my Merc, most Fords) have two different fuse positions for always-on and ignition-switched sockets.

If it's not such a new vehicle I would still suggest the relay method, or second socket.

With using a relay you only got 4 wires, two for the coil (to activate when key is in ACC), and then two to switch the load (in this case the cigarette lighter.

You could get the ACC power from the radio/headunit, ground on a clean bolt, and then just cut the wire going to the cigarette lighter to go through the relay.

If you do this I would suggest a diode across the coil to eliminate back EMF, just make sure the stripe is pointed to the positive, otherwise it goes pop.

I mean there are many different ways to go about this, but all the others seem a bit 'dodgy' IMO.

I'm just going with this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271373348083
It's simple, neat and safe. I can hide all the wiring and female end so I will literally just see the button switch on top. I will have to switch it on/off manually but I can deal with that

If worst comes to worst and I do leave it on it's not going to drain my car battery or become a hazard as I'm planning to install super cap. I'm not away from car long enougth for it to kill the car battery

Back