TKSX

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My apologies if this is a silly question.

Is there any way to forgot the memory card on the dashcam? The user manual didn't mention anything and unlike the F100 / Q800 Pro,

Ha. Nevermind. Just press and hold the REC button for ~ 3 - 4 seconds until you hear the message..

i still don't understand how the automatic formatting feature works. (what happens to the files ?)
or did i misunderstand and do they mean to say that formatting is not necessary ?

I think what they mean is that occsional format of the card (back in 2016) is no longer necessary. I think most IT geeks still does that.

For me, I like to manaully format the SD card (new) when I first install it into the camera. I don't think the occasional format is necessary.

Whether you format or not, you do need to pull the card and check it occasionally as no cam can detect and warn you of every kind of card error. I always view the vids of the first, last, and some in-between files on the card at least bi-monthly and preferably monthly. Also if there has seemed to be any anomalous operation of the cam at all. Look too at the file sizes; except for the 'closing' files they should be roughly the same size. I always format my cards after doing a 'check-up' first in PC then in-cam, as that seems to keeps things running smoothly. It really doesn't work the card much to format it.

The usual simple or quick formatting does not actually erase or remove any recording files from the card; what it does do is erase the file-name data on the card's file system which prevents finding those files through the usual means, so that the PC and cam now "see" an empty card which is actually still full. Only doing a full-formatting actually erases your vid files, which does work the entire card instead of just a tiny part of it. One "caveat" here is that MAC systems are notorious for inserting hidden files onto your drives, which includes SD cards plugged into a MAC computer. Those files can cause anomalous cam operation so anytime your card goes into a MAC device you should format it in-cam before driving again ;)

As always, the best advice is to do exactly what the manufacturer says to do. But do at least periodically check your recordings so you can know for certain that your card is still good and that the cam is still recording and closing files correctly :cool:

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A U1000 13
ilovepurple159 U1000 5
N U1000 2
I U1000 3
E U1000 15
Back