How to minimize radio interference from rear camera?

spaceballsrules

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
AGPtek GD26 > F70/i1000 > FineVu CR2000G > Mini 0906
My father drives a 2008 Mazda3 and I installed an i1000/F70 in it a few years ago. Miraculously, the dashcam is actually still going strong, and he is pleased enough with the quality. His biggest complaint is that the rear camera creates a lot of interference with some of the radio stations he wants to listen to. I wrapped the cable going to the rear camera with electrical tape and that seems to have improved the situation, but there is still enough interference that it makes some stations unusable. I am going to try routing the cable away from the radio antenna as much as possible, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to further minimize the interference. Maybe some sort of cheap and easy Faraday cage? Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the link. I missed that one when searching the subject here on DCT. At least I know that the interference is coming from the rear camera because if I unplug the rear camera from the dashcam with the engine running, the interference immediately goes away.

If the interference persists after rerouting the cables away from the car's antenna, I will get some ferrite chokes and see if those help. If none of that helps, I will just pop back in this thread. :rolleyes:

I know this is late but I saw this post and registered so I could reply. I had three issue where my camera was causing interference with my radio and was going crazy thinking it was from bad wires or converters. It turned out that my ground point wasn't a very good ground and changing to a different ground point completely fixed the problem.

Hopefully this can help someone.

Hi, sorry I haven't read all of the answers to rear camera interference as I'm still buzzing as I've just cured mine.
I have a 66 plate Octavia estate, I've had front cameras for years and decided to put a rear camera in. I didn't want wires everywhere so I used auto badge double sided tape and stuck it to the boot cover bar.
I ran the wire down the back of of a seat, held in place with velcro then under the rear seat across what used to be transmission tunnel, and under the armrest. Great very neat... We went shopping and found we had lost Dab radio, thought it must be weather conditions. No Dab on the way home... My wife suggested the dashcam must be at fault. Tried looking on Google for answers, one said to fit chokes as near to the camera as possible and was selling them at £4.95 each. I went onto Amazon Prime and found loads of them, I bought 10 for £5.79. They arrived 16 hours later. I tried one next to the camera, still no Dab, I fitted another at the cigar adapter end, nothing I fitted four more along the cable, nothing... I fitted a second one near as possible to the camera... Bingo... Back came my Dab, I fitted a third and drove around the block.... Perfect, no loss of signal.
Sorry for rabbiting on but I'm thrilled at curing the problem for just a few pounds
Hope this helps others.
Here is the link to the chokes
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07P3GDMGS

Back