How to obtain permanent power to car cigarette socket

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
Reading some users questions about permanent power for their dashcam I was thinking if is easy to modify something very simple inside the car fuse box to obtain always on also for the fuse of car cigar socket. I think is more easy compared to adding wires through the car if the user still want the car cigarette socket to be used for permanent powering the dash cam.
I am not good in electronics but I am thinking that this is possible by using an ”hot/always on” fuse and a fuse holder bypass.
Ideas come easy by looking at these pictures.
First think if is possible to have permanent power to an empty socket. If not, think what permanent fuse to use to not affect entering in the car for example.

Warning!
Who is afraid that his car will explode because of this mod should not read this topic. ;-)

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a nosey around and found this about some VWs:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/permanent-12v-supply-power-socket-99113.html

That's for a Golf MK7 and you basically have the choice of two locations for the cigar lighter fuse - one is switched and one permanent. Guess it makes it easy for them as they keep the wiring the same and plug the fuse in according to the market its destined for.

I'll get into my car later and see if it is the same (nothing ever is that easy for me though!)

...you basically have the choice of two locations for the cigar lighter fuse...
One fuse is the cigar lighter fuse, the other is the accessory socket fuse. At one time some manufacturers were charging extra for having an accessory socket, if you ordered the expensive optional extra then they swapped the position of the fuse and replaced the cigar lighter by a plastic bung!

If you use one of these:
add-a-circuit.jpg

and replace the blue crimp connector by one of these:

electrical-crimp-connector-terminals-insulated-spade-red-male-6.3mm-tab-width-3344-p.jpg

Then you can connect your cigar lighter into any circuit you wish. Put the original fuse for that circuit in the bottom and the fuse from the cigar lighter circuit in the top, then put the spade connector into the fused end of the now empty cigar lighter fuse socket.

You need to make sure you use the correct size of both as they are both available in different sizes.

This isn't an approved solution so you are responsible for all risk but it is safer than most DIY car electrics!

I've got a few of those add a circuit connectors on the way now (2x mini and 2x normal) just so I can have a tinker - I ordered a Lukas LK-290 as well just to cover discharge protection for when I'm working away and won't be running the car for a week or two so hopefully I'll be covered!

Also ordered some felt tape just to prevent any rattles (car rattles do my head in!)

Well thanks for the pointers in various threads and various others gents - I can't believe how simple that was!

Luckily in my driver side fusebox I had quite a few empty fuse bays with just the live side wired in (the output side wasn't wired in the fuse box).

All the mini ones were ACC / switched, and the two normal size fuses were both permanent live (or at least appear to be so far - I'll see come morning if the cam is still rolling!!)

The switched fuse I used was for the all-wheel drive control unit (10A) and the permanent source was the trailer detector control unit (20A). It was very nice of VW to leave a few live sockets in there for me - I honestly didn't realise how easy a job it was fitting something like this :)

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B DIY Projects 17
Back