How to record parking on electric car and save your battery - hasslefree?

Foolfully

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I have Fiat 500e electric car that's being leased and am wondering how can I best do the battery connection without having to charge external battery in house and reconnect it everyday.

There are lots of homeless where it is parked for 8 hours during day and sometimes it seems feces gets poured on it somehow so I want to see what's going on. No one I see says anything about connecting dashcam to electric car and how would it wouldn't drain car battery dead. I definitely don't want to drain the car battery as it only gets like 70 miles per charge but if external battery could be charged as car is charged at night then I suppose that may be best.

Please help me choose a good setup. I need a discreet cam and external battery. Can external battery be charged while car is being charged and how would I connect it to the battery so it can record in parking mode?

How would you record parking in an electric car?

A dashcam doesn't use nearly enough power to have any effect on your car battery. Even a normal starting battery can run a dash cam all day or maybe even multiple days

The dashcam will use about 2 watts of power, and overnight will run on the charging power anyway. When driving the dashcam will use about 2 watts of battery power, but the car motors will average, about 10,000 watts (guess), I don't think you will loose more than 500 foot of your 70 mile range...

you might consider hardwiring to your interior fuse box via BDP (battery discharge prevention device) and use the time limit option. I use a multi-safer BDP on my 500.

Maybe use a solar panel on dash, my cam uses 356 ma but that is twin cam, I would say maybe around 200 ma would be fine to run single cam, unless it's not sunny all the time, most electric cars still have a small 12 volt battery so could hook wires to this ?, I know on my bros leaf he wired ciggy lighter direct to 12 volt battery and uses that to charge iphones etc when parked all day.

Maybe use a solar panel on dash, my cam uses 356 ma but that is twin cam, I would say maybe around 200 ma would be fine to run single cam, unless it's not sunny all the time, most electric cars still have a small 12 volt battery so could hook wires to this ?, I know on my bros leaf he wired ciggy lighter direct to 12 volt battery and uses that to charge iphones etc when parked all day.

Does the leaf have a 12v battery? If it does that's what I would use

powerbank?

be sure you have a big enough memory card for 8 hours if that's your requirement, unless you're using motion detect/parking mode, to just capture incidents

Back