How to recover dash cam footage clips from formatted sd card

Tony lovelock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 422gw/Nextbase 212G & möbius C3 wide angle lens
Is there any way to recover files? What's the best programme online to recover clips for free?

Thanks

No real simple answer to that question because of a number of variables.

1. Was it a 'quick' format or a 'low level' format? If the latter there's no chance.

2. Has the card been used since the format? If so what you're looking to recover has been overwritten, either partially or completely.

I done a format through my dash cam last night mistakenly, so I'm hoping there's a chance I can recover the footage as I like to keep previous files

You didn't say which camera but most that I know of do a quick format which only resets the FAT, leaving the actual data on the card untouched.

Do a 'Google' search on 'file recovery software' for the platform you're using (PC, MAC, etc.) to see what's available. There are many out there - some free, some with a cost. All have different features.

Three that I've used in the past (although not very recently) are "PCI File Recovery", "Smart Recovery", and "Zero Assumption Recovery" - all for Windows.

Keep in mind that even if the files themselves are recovered the original file names may not be so identifying what you recover can still be challenging.

Nextbase dash cam I done a format on

There are some free or trial software for recovery of lost files, but i can not offer up any names im afraid.
There are a industry for this, and those guys are often asking for a nice paycheck to restore your data.

if you formatted it and turned it off there's a decent chance of getting files back, if you did any recording after formatting the chances of recovery drop dramatically

I managed to download a free software programme and manged to get all the files back but unfortunately a couple wouldn't play as they were too large of a file to play which was strange as other files were the same quality/mb etc

Last edited:
I managed to dowoad a free software programme and manged to get all the files back but unfortunately a couple wouldn't play as they were too large of a file to play which was strange as other files were the same quality/mb etc

Try a different media player. Maybe you'll get lucky?

The files that didn't play back never played back on the actual programme video player

The files that didn't play back never played back on the actual programme video player
File recovery (with any program) is never absolutely guaranteed. The files in question may have been corrupted in some manner.

Was weird though as it was about 2/3 clips that wouldn't work but the exact same files for the front & rear camera lol

Back