How to remove/reduce dashboard glare with A119?

JeeYem

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have A119 set up on 2016 Civic. It's good but I am not sure of how to get rid of dashboard reflection on windshield. One solution I see is to cover the dashboard with black cloth, but I'm not up for it. I would rather live with dash reflection instead of doing something drastic. Anything else I can try? Does polarizing filter help with this? If so, does that filter brings down the night-video quality?

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2017-04-09-16h47m03s100 - Copy.jpg
    vlcsnap-2017-04-09-16h47m03s100 - Copy.jpg
    880.1 KB · Views: 87
I have A119 set up on 2016 Civic. It's good but I am not sure of how to get rid of dashboard reflection on windshield. One solution I see is to cover the dashboard with black cloth, but I'm not up for it. I would rather live with dash reflection instead of doing something drastic. Anything else I can try? Does polarizing filter help with this? If so, does that filter brings down the night-video quality?
Yes, the Viofo CPL will help with that reflection. It will also cut down on some of the light coming in at night affecting the night time image quality. I think most accept the trade off and leave the CPL on all the time.

Thanks, that's great! I did quick check on Amazon and I find $15-20 too high for a filter. Do you know of any DIY solutions?
Btw, I just found this thread where dashcam with and without CPL filter during day and night were compared. Figured somebody browsing through this thread in future may find this helpful. - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ns-filter-for-street-guardian-sg9665gc.14256/
Actually, that's pretty cheap for a CPL filter specifically made for a particular camera. I'm sure there are DYI ways, but I doubt you'll be saving much money, if any, in the end.

I see. Thanks for the perspective. I think I'll get one soon.

It is possible to make DIY custom CPL filter, it will be only around 5-7usd cheaper. You need patience and time to source out 3rd party parts. Time and labout put into DIY CPL project is not worth vs what you save.

The official VIOFO (Part number A11CPL) is available on Amazon and works great. Note, Some of the cheaper non VIOFO branded ones might not arrive calibrated correctly.

Too bad that if you live in the Netherlands you can only order the CPL from China, If I try to order from you on Amazon.com I get the error message: "Sorry, this item can't be shipped to your selected address"
I ordered from estore009 on eBay on the 26th of February and it still haven't arrived, the first CPL is lost in the mail and the second attempt is still on it's way :( ( http://www.ebay.nl/itm/132019044779?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT ) They resend it on the 31st of March so it could take another 3 weeks before it arrives
If I order on Amazon.de (Germany) it will be sent also from China and it is not clear if it is the "official" CPL (https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B01NBML3QF/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new)
Ordering directly in the US isn't also a good idea because of the high shipping costs. Oh, well it are all luxury problems :D

Let's hope it's also the one that will be send (on eBay you'll never know)

Too bad that if you live in the Netherlands you can only order the CPL from China, If I try to order from you on Amazon.com I get the error message: "Sorry, this item can't be shipped to your selected address"
:D

I ordered one from amazon.de without any problem. (Must have been posted from the EU, given the delivery time)

But from Amazon.de it will also be shipped from China if I'm not mistaken, at least the CPL I found was from CS Priority and will be shipped from China taking weeks to arrive.
On the other hand I'm still waiting for a CPL ordered the 26th of February, it was lost in the mail and another one is sent about the 31st of March and I'm still waiting :(

cpl-from-china.png

I received the CPL from SpyTecInc, delivered by Amazon. (Was a package with Viofo logos, but order info called it a SpyTec CPL); most likely from London. Delivered in less than 5 working days.

see my A119 vs A119S for exactly this comparison CPL on/off

My CPL just arrived today YEA!!! Need to pop it on and dial it in! Have some nasty dash reflections that got to go. Did anyone else after attaching the CPL adjust the exposure settings and if so to what value?

My CPL just arrived today YEA!!! Need to pop it on and dial it in! Have some nasty dash reflections that got to go. Did anyone else after attaching the CPL adjust the exposure settings and if so to what value?

the best accessory to any dashcam is a CPL Filter, glad yours arrived, i'll view your clips later.
haven't posted my Exposure clips yet but suggest for A119 plus CPL to set EX=0 and record day & nite clips then repeat with EX=(+1/3)
the colors improve at nite with CPL + EX=(-1/3)
the CPL will dim the overall image slightly and Exposure=0 works fine in all driving.
its just nice to have the ability to adjust it when needed.
the setting that really needs accurate testing is Wide Dynamic Range (WDR), will post results on this next month.

trying a new video editor (VideoPad). Its rendering a comparison video I made now. I'll post a link when I can get it on youtube.

Here is my Before and After CPL video!

I do think I'll need to give a small bump in the exposure setting as its a shade darker than I would like, but does a great job of toning down the interior reflections

For today's recordings I bumped the EV setting to +1/3. Not sure if this was enough just yet, still reviewing the footage, but I do notice the Night time with the CPL looks a bit grainier than without the CPL (maybe its just my imagination). I did clean the windshield inside and out before recording for this clip. Maybe there is some streaking my eyes don't see that the camera is or maybe I need to clean the CPL and the Camera lens both though looked clean.

Just uploaded a new day time test. I used the original without CPL clip in this video also a bit longer and at a different start point, but the new clip With CPL has different settings.

I set the Exposure Value to +2/3. I like this setting for both day and night. I also have WDR turned on where it was off in the previous clips.

Back