How to remove window mount?

McDurbin

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've used this camera for a bit and I'm not satisfied with the quality of the camera for the price I paid for it. But the problem is that I can't seem to get the mount off of my wind shield. I tried using floss and that didn't work, I also tried a flat head screw driver and that seemed like it was gonna crack the glass since the glue wouldn't come off.

Has anyone tried to remove the mount before? I emailed Pittasoft 3 days ago and still haven't gotten a response from them.

McDurbin said:
I tried using floss and that didn't work, I also tried a flat head screw driver and that seemed like it was gonna crack the glass since the glue wouldn't come off.

try something stronger to pass between the mount and the glass, guitar string, fishing line etc, hook it between and pull either end to saw through the foam between the adhesives, once you do that a single edge razor will clean the remnants off the glass, maybe a cleaning solution instead if you've stuck it over the black dots some screens have at the top

McDurbin said:
So I've used this camera for a bit and I'm not satisfied with the quality of the camera for the price I paid for it. But the problem is that I can't seem to get the mount off of my wind shield. I tried using floss and that didn't work, I also tried a flat head screw driver and that seemed like it was gonna crack the glass since the glue wouldn't come off.

Has anyone tried to remove the mount before? I emailed Pittasoft 3 days ago and still haven't gotten a response from them.

A hair dryer and a 3inch wide paint scraper works for me Gently heat the outside of the screen in the area it is mounted and just work the scraper by wiggling it side to side from one end.

By paint scraper I mean a tool like a putty knife but with a straight end like a chisel A putty knife would do however.

.Remove surplus adhesive with either meths or turps Preferably after windscreen has cooled LOL

Yep... Heat that badboy up with a hair dryer. Try and roll / pull it from one side and do it gradually.

Hillbilly said:
McDurbin said:

A hair dryer and a 3inch wide paint scraper works for me Gently heat the outside of the screen in the area it is mounted and just work the scraper by wiggling it side to side from one end.

By paint scraper I mean a tool like a putty knife but with a straight end like a chisel A putty knife would do however.

.Remove surplus adhesive with either meths or turps Preferably after windscreen has cooled LOL
I don't have that type of tool. Would you be afraid to use a flathead screwdriver after heating it up with a hair dryer? I guess I could go buy that tool if necessary but I wouldn't need it after that, I'd rather use something I have.

McDurbin said:
Hillbilly said:
McDurbin said:

I don't have that type of tool. Would you be afraid to use a flathead screwdriver after heating it up with a hair dryer? I guess I could go buy that tool if necessary but I wouldn't need it after that, I'd rather use something I have.

I wouldnt use a screwdriver It would only cost a couple of $ to buy a scraper which is a lot cheaper than fixing a scratched windscreen Use fishing line then but I suppose you dont have that either

The idea of the scraper is to spread the weight over a larger area and not damage the screen Also has rounded edges and being flexible it runs along the glass and not into it as would a screwdriver.

Your car you do it your way we are just trying to help

Use a credit card if you have nothing else

Leave the car facing the sun for an hour or so and then try the fishing line.

or dental floss

dashuser said:
Which one?
one of these should do it
image_12834.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D DR500GW-HD 8
D DR500GW-HD 3
D DR500GW-HD 7
D DR500GW-HD 0
archie_n DR500GW-HD 3
Back