How to repair/recover cam after firmware update fail?

Mike_Mike

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

I just updated my 0805 with firmware from https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0805/#Latest_Firmware -- 20141204_0805_GPS.zip
After putting the .bin file on the memory card and restarting the cam, the installation of the firmware was started and succesfully finished.
When I tried to restart the cam it was dead. Only the red LED light was shown. Also via USB the pc does not recognize the cam anymore...

I only copied the .bin file to the memory card.. not the .elf file --> should I have done that? ; in previous updates only the .bin file was needed and update was ok...

Can someone please help and tell me how to recover or repair to a working version of the firmware?!?

Only the bin file is needed

The elf file is used to recover the camera, if this is the wrong firmware for your model though this elf won't help

Always better to get the firmware from your vendor

Hi Jokiin,
thanks for the info about the elf/bin files. But now the million dollar question: is there a way to recover or repair my cam? or can I just throw it away now...? do you know?

Yes it can be recovered, details in the 0803 section, has been covered a few times, you will need to make sure you have the correct elf version though

Ok, I created the micro USB pin 4+5 shorted and installed DirectUSB... Also have connection with DirectUSB. Now I need an 0805 .elf file which is ok. Do you know where I can find these files?

Ok, I created the micro USB pin 4+5 shorted and installed DirectUSB... Also have connection with DirectUSB. Now I need an 0805 .elf file which is ok. Do you know where I can find these files?

Check @Tobi@s signature, he maintains a repository with all the files that are available

Thanks a lot for your fast help Jokiin!
Got the cam back to life... however.. by using a 0803 .elf... all 0805 elf files did not seem to work. This means I don't have a 0805 cam? --> the vendor sent me the wrong version? or can it be that an 0803 elf file also works for 0805?

Today had a phone call with the vendor, his answer was that there are 3 chinese manufacturers for this mini dashcam which all use their own firmware (no compatibility between them). Therefor it might happen that by installing 0805 firmware of a wrong manufacturer, the cam crashes.
Also the vendor states that the firmware of 0803 cams can work for 0805 cams as they use the same chip set. Only the sensor is different. The thing you will see with 0803 firmware on 0805 cam is that the footage will not be as clear as with 0805 firmware and some options might be missing in the settings.

Any idea if this explination is plausible?

Ahha, that's possible the reason why the firmware for 0805 from the website (bought by same vendor) did work for me.

After installing other firmware (from this site and for 0805), I got screwed :(.
Mike did you just use a regular usb to micro usb cable to modify?
I've tried so, but screwed 3 cable's already ;).

Do you also got the download link/website name from the .elf file you used to get the life back in your Mini?

I got it 1 time so far that Direct USB II finds my Mini and installing firmware, but that seems to be with the wrong .elf file so the installation failed (probably same you got).
Think when I got my Mini back in action again, I install the firmware from the vendor again and keep my hands of it ;).

Ahha, that's possible the reason why the firmware for 0805 from the website (bought by same vendor) did work for me.

After installing other firmware (from this site and for 0805), I got screwed :(.
Mike did you just use a regular usb to micro usb cable to modify?
I've tried so, but screwed 3 cable's already ;).

Do you also got the download link/website name from the .elf file you used to get the life back in your Mini?

I got it 1 time so far that Direct USB II finds my Mini and installing firmware, but that seems to be with the wrong .elf file so the installation failed (probably same you got).
Think when I got my Mini back in action again, I install the firmware from the vendor again and keep my hands of it ;).

Dennis,
I used indeed a normal USB to micro USB cable to modify.
I got the .elf file from the site: http://dc.p-mc.eu/0803/firmware and downloaded "20140611 GPS + 2CARDS ELF Linux Executable, A7LAXX" which you can find somewhere in the middle of the list.
After that I used the firmware from the vendors site to update to firmware version 20140826.
This at least gives the cam back it's functionality :)

Ahhh nice, thanks :).

But strange, you installed a 0803 .elf file and 0805.
If we really got the 0803, then can it also be that the firmware we see on the website, looks like 0805 software but every one can write that.....
(which means that the seller knows what he does)

I will not deny your statement... :cool:
let's wait what they come up with as explanation and solution...

The Mini 0805 ELF file can be found here in the first post.
Here is a video about 0806 but also there are the steps needed for 0805:

enjoy,
Mtz

Update:
I have contacted the supplier and they proposed to me to send back the camera I had and receive another one from the "new" 0805 serie. I just received the replacement, and this one looks to be a genuine 0805, including the correct settings, menu layout and golden mount contacts. Perfect service from their side, although they will not admit (or still don't know for themselves) they're selling the 0803 as 0805.

At least they made me a happy guy now :D

hi there,ive recently got a garmin dash cam 20 and tried updating the firmware,was going to plan until it turned off,now it wont power up,when i connect it to the computer i get a bing like it recognises it,but still nothing. Have i killed the cam or can it be recovered?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kotysoft Mini 0805 6
DaveTheJoker Mini 0805 0
Egon Bor Mini 0805 11
A Mini 0805 3
Back