How to show police video from cam at scene

Patrick Randall

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I have just installed a dashcam (B40) and it produces .MOV files about 2 mins long. I thought I'd be able to pop the Micro SD card into a wireless reader/hub (trying a Kingston 5-in-1 for $30) and then connect via wireless with my iPhone or iPad to play the files for a policeman. Problem is, the is hub streams the video too slowly - frequent pauses.
What do other peeps do? I always have my iPhone and its screen is way better than the little 1" on the cam.

...(trying a Kingston 5-in-1 for $30) and then connect via wireless with my iPhone or iPad to play the files for a policeman. Problem is, the is hub streams the video too slowly - frequent pauses.

This sounds like my Kingston MobileLite...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/kingston-mobilelite-wireless-memory-card-reader-£18.5590/

Mine has been succeeded by a newer version, however, my old model streams video smoothly to my iPad & Android phone. Try another App, e.g. MoliPlayer HD.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like my Kingston MobileLite...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/kingston-mobilelite-wireless-memory-card-reader-£18.5590/

Mine has been succeeded by a newer version, however, my old model streams video smoothly to my iPad & Android phone. Try another App, e.g. MoliPlayer HD.
Hi Russ, yes in fact I think your post is where I got the thought to try a wireless reader (The MobilLiteG2). Unfortunately I don't think it suppports .MOV files

I just downloaded MoliPlayer but can't seem to get it to see the the card in the Kingston. Is there a trick? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a wireless dashcam and play the movie from your smartphone.

enjoy,
Mtz

I just bung the camera sd in my phone...

Hi Russ, yes in fact I think your post is where I got the thought to try a wireless reader (The MobilLiteG2). Unfortunately I don't think it suppports .MOV files

I just downloaded MoliPlayer but can't seem to get it to see the the card in the Kingston. Is there a trick? :)

I got MoliPlayer HD as a download that was free on the day, but is usually around £3.

You may have downloaded the free version, which may have limited functionality.

In MoliPlayer HD, click on 'Nearby' & you should see the Kingston device listed.

If no luck, try another App like VLC, etc. MOV files should stream smoothly under the Kingston App ... they do with my MobileLite.

Aha thanks Russ, yes under nearby the MobileLite shows up and I can see my list of .MOV files but they don't stream smoothly again- frequent pauses just like the Kingston app :-(
Under MobileLite Media Server - greyed out is upnp - do I need that? I think it's a chargeable add-on.
Can I ask about your .MOV files? What size and def are the files? Maybe the B40 .MOV files are too dense or something (I might try lower def). Each file is 343 MB at the moment.
I *really* want to like this Kingston!
I called Kingston TS Sat and they suggested trying a different wireless channel (under settings) but no change.
The list of mov files is read *really* quickly (faster than MobileLite) but the streaming is as bad.
Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Buy a wireless dashcam and play the movie from your smartphone.

enjoy,
Mtz
Hmm. I might have to return this BlackBox B40 if I can't resolve the issue. What's a good wireless dashcam? I see you have lots of cams!

Can I ask about your .MOV files? What size and def are the files?

My Mobius cams are currently set to record 5 minute clips at high data rate, which is nominally 18mbps. You can see the file sizes from the image below. The small files are those created when the ignition has been switched off part-way through a 5 minute clip. My first generation MobileLite generally streams smoothly, with an occasional bit of stuttering.

image.jpg

Ooh! I have only one slot in my iPhone - I suppose your phone has an SD card slot or something cool?

yes, that's why I bought it !

you just pop the second sim out, and slip the micro sd in.

( I don't understand why anyone is still using the dross we are offered in phone shops when the Chinese market is a flood with some really good products at a fraction of the cost )

you just pop the second sim out, and slip the micro sd in.

What a pita. My current Samsung Android phone has an external MicroSD card slot, so no need to faff about with removing the phone's back cover, battery, sim.

Nevertheless, I still prefer to use the MobileLite & iPad instead of the phone.

I noticed Samsung are dropping the microSD slot completely in their new phones - it looks like form over function is finally starting to win the day :/

What a pita. My current Samsung Android phone has an external MicroSD card slot, so no need to faff about with removing the phone's back cover, battery, sim.

Nevertheless, I still prefer to use the MobileLite & iPad instead of the phone.

So does mine and can also slot a reader into its usb extension ...

5 inch screen is plenty big enough !!

I noticed Samsung are dropping the microSD slot completely in their new phones - it looks like form over function is finally starting to win the day :/
As a fan of Samsung phones I was very upset when I first saw that they were going away from the sd card slot and the user replaceable battery.

i guess they figure since the iphone sold so well without either an sd card slot or a user serviceable battery, they can do it too, AND charge more for it at the same time!

after having a phone with a sealed battery (droid4), i will never do that again - battery life quickly goes down and there's no option to upgrade to a bigger battery. i love the 5000mah extended battery in my current samsung galaxy relay. now if only someone would come out with a modern phone with a qwerty slider... :/

Well kinda pointless honestly.
My DC (Panorama G) uses a Full Size SD Card (not Micro).
So it won't fit in my Phone anyway.

I do carry a Laptop, since I'm in a Semi Truck.
Some DCs have a Small Screen that's another option.

Also some of the Android Phones can accept a wide variety of USB Devices, that may be worth a Shot.
Just need to get a USB on the go Adapter.
http://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/97241.jpg

And get a small SD Reader (or whatever Memory Card)

unfortunately the OP is using iOS devices so his options are limited. i think apple does make some sort of card reader you can plug into the iDevice directly but it isnt cheap and doesnt work with all devices. cant remember whether it uses lightning port but probably does. i'm an android user myself and both mine and my wife's phones have microsd slots, and all our cams use microsd cards, so we're set there (though the phone won't play the rear channel from the cf-100). i also keep a microsd to full sd adapter in each car in case we need to use the police laptop or something.

Another good point actually..
I know in the US it's pretty common for the Police Officers to have a Laptop.
A lot of them these days do have Card Readers built in.

I guess buy a small USB Reader that reads different types of cards and toss it in the Glovebox.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Managing / Editing Videos 21
Back