How to speed up your video

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
Because recording long trips, some people want to speedup their videos. Here is my method to speed-up a video up to 6x times.
I am using only free tools and best quality is my goal.

If you want to join video files recorded by your dashcam use MP4Cam2AVI.
If you want to just speed up your video in short time, use VirtualDubMod.

A. Method 1, recommended:

1. Load the video
2. Set the Direct Stream Copy at the video tab:
vduba.jpg

3. Speed up the video by the frame rate method:
vdubb.jpg

4. Save as.
vdubc.jpg

B. Method 2, recommended only if you want to add some logo, subtitles over video:
If you want to reencode the video you need also an encoder and I suggest X264 VFW
Video:

Screenshots:

Who want to post their method can use this thread.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Estimated time was slowly going up; it was already over 10 hours after 2 minutes of saving the video. What am I doing wrong ? The AVI file is the same as yesterday with Windows Movie Maker, that's about 3GB

clipboard01.jpg

clipboard03.jpg

clipboard04.jpg

clipboard05.jpg

clipboard06.jpg

clipboard07.jpg

clipboard08.jpg

clipboard10.jpg

You forgot to Decimate by 6 in the Frame Rate window option.
You didn't used all my settings for X264 encoder, for example checking the Virtual Dub Hack.
You are encoding a HD video at 2fps which means you don't have a powerful PC. Regarding speed you are not doing anything wrong because your video is long. The HD videos are encoding slow compared to SD videos and this is normal.
If you want to speed up your encoding check the Fast decode box for X264 and choose a some faster preset. The faster the preset will be the lower the quality will be.

You can make first a test on a short video, for example 1-2 minutes.

If you will have a 30 minute file and the encoding speed is 30fps then your encoding time will be 1/2 hour.
If you will have a 30 minute file and the encoding speed is 15fps then your encoding time will be 1 hour.
If you will have a 30 minute file and the encoding speed is 5fps then your encoding time will be 3 hours.

This is how HD video encoding is working. Any program which will encode your file in less time using the same computer will result in a lower quality video.
Few years ago my HD encoded video took more than 24 hours/movie.

If you want to to a good job take more care to details. This is true also in real life. Good luck!

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• vdub.jpg
    vdub.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 392
thank you, my settings were wrong, because I couldn't see the settings in your video. I should watch it in full screen mode with maximum quality.
I will try again.

OK, edited the first post and uploaded also the screenshots.

enjoy,
Mtz

thank you, I copied all your settings, and it still climbed to estimated time 7 hours. I'll just stick to Win Movie Maker. And leave it to work over night if the conversion time will be in hours instead of minutes.

I made a mistake and I forgot one important thing called direct stream copy.
1. Load the video
2. Set the Direct Stream Copy at the video tab:
vduba.jpg
3. Speed up the video by the frame rate method:
vdubb.jpg
4. Save as.
vdubc.jpg

Because the video is not re-encoded the duration of the process will be short. Just minutes, not hours.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
thank you, it works now, 3GB AVI file speeded up in 4 minutes. But another problem appeared: the new AVI file is 670MB big; in my case, that means 9 hour upload to Youtube (upload speed 20kb/s.) I have to figure out how to make file smaller. With Win Movie maker it is 52MB.

Your long video just in 52MB will look poor. Maybe some phone resolution, or VGA, not HD.
In video world, quality is based on bitrate, on resolution, which are connected with the final size. There is no magic in the video world. I think you know a 1080p movie in Blu-Ray is about 25GB (excluding extras, audio languages, etc). If they can put the same quality on CD or DVD they never invented the Blu-Ray disc.

enjoy,
Mtz

Registrator Viewer has that feature
it also has an option to rotate video 180 degrees (flip vertical and horizontal, F9 and F10), but there's no way I can make this work. Any suggestion, pls ?
And another strange thing with this software: it opens video in a separate window, named "ActiveMovie Window". What am I doing wrong ? The version is 5.2 . Tnx.

it also has an option to rotate video 180 degrees (flip vertical and horizontal, F9 and F10), but there's no way I can make this work. Any suggestion, pls ?
And another strange thing with this software: it opens video in a separate window, named "ActiveMovie Window". What am I doing wrong ? The version is 5.2 . Tnx.

The latest version is 5.3 Try that.

I use power director 8 (latest version is 12).
You can speed up or slow down video in a couple of simple steps - with the video imported, drag to timeline (it shows as a 'clip'), click 'power tools' and you get the option to rotate clockwise by 90, 180 or 270deg. Adjust the speed up to 10x or down to 0.1 or slo-mo with frame interpolation. Crop the video - so zoom into a section of the screen and play the video in reverse.
By splitting the track, you can perform all these actions on a small section of vid -
showing an increase in speed for a small section of the vid.

Yeah it's all about PowerDirector when you want to speed up certain moments and not the whole thing.

Here's a decent tutorial. (pretty powerful yet easy!)

I might have to have a look at this software. It looks easier to use then the one I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI: I contacted Vadim from RegistratorViewer about the video/audio sync issues when speeding up videos. He fixed things in the latest Beta 5.4 so the Audio and Video matches up from start to finish. (perfectly)
http://download.registratorviewer.com/download/RegistratorViewerB.exe

I posted a bunch of speed videos here: (flying in a Cessna 150, Vicovation WF1)
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/airplane-testing-vico-wf1-hello-from-4500ft-cessna-150.2920/

Here's one example where we barely got off the ground with 40MPH gusts rolling over the hills. (100HP engine = sucky climb rate)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mtz
Back