StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
Original Video:

Check out the newer updated "express" version of this video:
"HOW TO SUPER CLEAN YOUR WINDSHIELD... SUPER FAST!"

From Youtube:

Featured products, available on Amazon:
Rain-X: http://bit.ly/rain-x-glass-treatment
Invisible Glass (for the inside windows): http://bit.ly/invisible-glass
Invisible Glass with Rain Repellent (for the outside!): http://bit.ly/invisble-glass-rain-rep...
0000 Steel Wool: http://bit.ly/steel-wool-0000

We demonstrate how to make the windshield of your RV or car cleaner and clearer. We'll show you how to improve the clarity of the glass and improve visibility.
------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: A viewer wrote to say that he experienced some areas of scratching after trying this. I've never heard of it scratching before, so I just did a little Googling, and while there seem to be some people who question using steel wool, others swear by it. Some also think you should never us a razor blade on glass, and others do it all the time. One suggestion was to use wet steel wool (of course it will then rust, so pitch it afterwards). Another mentioned buying something called "Poli-Flex Rubberized Clayblock" for cleaning. Although I cannot guarantee that scratching is impossible, many people who've tried steel wool since seeing this video have been thrilled with the results. Either way, proceed slowly and with caution and at your own risk.
------------------------------------------------------
After a little time goes by, every windshield gets a little hazy. That goes double for autos that are towed right behind a large motorhome. Using our toad (towed car), we show you how to use fine steel wool, Rain-X and Invisible Glass to make your view just a little bit clearer.

Although our car's windshield has a lot of little nicks from over 9 years of being towed around North America, we still want to keep it as clear as possible. Regular washing can't remove the fine dirt that gets into the pores of the glass, so we use a little detailer's trick that we learned years ago: 0000 steel wool. While you'd expect that steel wool would scratch the glass, it's exactly the opposite. Just like furniture makers use extra-fine steel wool to rub out the surface of the wood after each coat of stain, it polishes glass the same way. Everybody we've told about this little detailing trick seemed really surprised that steel wool does not scratch glass.

NOTE: We mention using fine 0000 steel wool in this video. It is EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE, and care should be used in storing and using it. To see our video demonstrating how to start a fire using only steel wool and a 9-volt battery, click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjYecQ...

To hear about new videos, giveaways and other great RVing content as soon as it's released, visit our website and subscribe!
http://TheRVgeeks.com

The intro music is my own piano performance of Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag from 1899.

Any task you perform or product you purchase based on any information we provide is strictly at your own risk.

Comments welcome! Thanks for watching!

I think it has something to do with surface hardness and how vigorously one applies the steel wool. Same for the razor blade, but it might also depend on the angle at which the blade is applied. While I'm not that concerned with the glass scratching, I would be nervous with the steel wool around the trim and paint around the edges. I've had some really good results with Stoner's glass cleaner so those who are not as adventurous might consider looking into that.

KuoH

UPDATE: A viewer wrote to say that he experienced some areas of scratching after trying this. I've never heard of it scratching before, so I just did a little Googling, and while there seem to be some people who question using steel wool, others swear by it. Some also think you should never us a razor blade on glass, and others do it all the time.

I worked in the smash repair (body shop) industry many years ago and 0000 steel wool was always used by the detailers to remover any overspray from windows, used correctly it won't scratch the glass, I would clean the windows of anything large first though

Credit goes to @jokiin about this post by the way.

Using a Razor Blade takes ages, and I've made the mistake of digging in too hard on my last car. (left a divot/scratch)
The 0000 Steel Wool seems safe enough as long as the glass is pre-cleaned first.
The more pro stone/clay cleaner is probably pretty good too though. (can't imagine it's very cheap though)

I tried this method but even after repeated rubbing the windshield with steel wool, it didn't turn the way this guy mentions. The smooth surface was spotty.
After application of RainX, he asks to leave it as it is so that it turns a bit foggy. I don't know what was the temp. when he did all this stuff, mine was about 80F but it never turned foggy. I wiped it after 10 minutes. The final product wasn't as finished as he claims.

If you want to remove RainX, use RainX Xtreme Clean. It works pretty fast and no work is needed. I applied rainX first time without thinking much and there were bubbles all over the windshield. This product removed it pretty well. Also make sure that your wipers aren't leaving any streaks, else all your work down the drain.

Pitted? Mine has craters that started as pits 20 years ago :D

I've read this stuff and if it works for you then good. But it ain't the best way. I had a friend in the window tinting business where a speck of anything left behind before applying the film meant a free warranty repair, which he only had one from defective film. He rinsed with water then wiped the window dry, then he used newspaper balled up and rubbed like crazy till it didn't feel like it was 'catching' or dragging on anything anymore. He renewed the paper as it disintegrated. Too soft to possibly scratch, the paper not only absorbed any contaminants but it lightly polished the window too, and when he was done you could drag a pressed-down fingertip across the window and hear it squeak. It takes a lot of effort and newspaper but there's no better way. It removes silicone (rainX etc) and nicotine too. I wouldn't try it on optical glass (lenses) but on car and house windows it's the holy grail of clean.

Phil

I know @Dashmellow has recommended Invisible Glass a lot - it's on offer on Amazon UK as a deal of the day today down from £13 something to £9 something.

I've just ordered one as fancy trying it on the other half's glass table before we pack it up and I need to redo the car interior soon :)

I know @Dashmellow has recommended Invisible Glass a lot - it's on offer on Amazon UK as a deal of the day today down from £13 something to £9 something.

I've just ordered one as fancy trying it on the other half's glass table before we pack it up and I need to redo the car interior soon :)

You won't be disappointed. The stuff works quite well. For some reason it seems to keep the glass in my vehicle clean and clear longer than other products as well. (interior) At first I thought I was imagining this but it's true.

I'm rather shocked to hear that the "Deal of the Day" price for Invisible Glass is £9 on Amazon UK. :( That's $13.72 USD! I'm accustomed to paying less than $4.00 for a 22 ounce trigger pump spray bottle at the local Walmart. The aerosol spray can tends to be more expensive but you could still buy a couple of cans of the stuff for £9.

IG.png

Well I bought some glass cleaner from Poundland (or was it the 99p Store?) that claims to be the "Best glass cleaner in the world!"
I ordered the Invisible Glass from AmazonUK while it was reduced. We'll see how it compares. :D

Well I bought some glass cleaner from Poundland (or was it the 99p Store?) that claims to be the "Best glass cleaner in the world!"
I ordered the Invisible Glass from AmazonUK while it was reduced. We'll see how it compares. :D

The main thing is to stay away from "blue" glass cleaners that contain ammonia when cleaning automobile windscreens and windows.

Actually, I have an amusing little consumer experience story to tell about Walmart. I've slowly come to realize that Walmart places the same product or very similar versions of products in different parts of the store at different prices. So, Invisible Glass is sold in the automotive section next to the car waxes and similar supplies where they only feature the spray can and it is much more expensive per ounce than it is available elsewhere in the store. Over in the "household cleaning products" section where they have other brands of glass cleaners they sell the pump spray Invisible Glass and it is much cheaper. It seems their logic is that a guy looking for something to clean his windshield when waxing his car will just pay the price but that people looking for household cleaning products are more likely to be price conscious comparison shoppers.

The stuff I got is ammonia free. It's Valma Excalibur luxury glass cleaner. "The world's finest glass cleaner." ;)
I wasn't expecting much for a quid, I only bought it to get some change for parking. Still, it's £6 on Amazon, so I got quite a bargain!

Anyone ever try those products designed to clean ceramic stove tops? Any thoughts on why it would not work?

Back