How to tamper proof dashcam?

budster

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently took my vehicle in for maintenance. I noticed that during some videos that got recorded when it was in the auto shop, the person driving the vehicle disconnected the power to the dashcam a couple times as I could see some movement of the dashcam right before the video abruptly ended. It was re-connected later as videos were recorded after each of the power disconnects. My dashcam is hardwired so the power disconnect happened when the power cable was unplugged from the dashcam.

This made me wonder if there's any good way to prevent someone (e.g. auto shop worker, valet driver, etc...) from easily disconnecting power to the dashcam or from ejecting the memory card. I know there's no foolproof way to prevent someone from doing so if they're motivated, but I was just thinking how to make it a little harder so that someone trying would be discouraged from doing so. My dashcam is a Viofo A119 V3 which has a mini USB port for power, but this is a general question for any type of dashcam. I saw that for the Viofo A139, there is a tamper proof bracket available (https://www.viofo.com/products/a139...-for-tamper-proof-security-guard-installation).

I was thinking of applying some kind of tape around the memory card slot and cables so that the tape would have to be cut to access these. But not sure how best to make this work.

Last edited:
The A119 V3 is really easy to lift off the mount, so it is going to be hard to do anything unless you block it from being slid upwards by sticking something else above it, in which case if you use an angled power connector then you can block power cable removal as well. However they can still press the power off button!

This made me wonder if there's any good way to prevent someone (e.g. auto shop worker, valet driver, etc...) from easily disconnecting power to the dashcam or from ejecting the memory card. I know there's no foolproof way to prevent someone from doing so if they're motivated, but I was just thinking how to make it a little harder so that someone trying would be discouraged from doing so.

Well, you could always post a custom sticker on your dashboard. It might give someone second thoughts about messing with your camera. :smuggrin:

sticker.jpg

I posted this idea years ago on the forum when this topic came up but now that we've seen exploding pagers and walkie talkies the concept might have greater plausibility. :cool:

Last edited:
That kind of warning sticker would draw attention to the dashcam, which I'd want to avoid. I think you're kind of joking though?

My thought was just to make it so that someone trying to unplug the power cable from the dashcam would know that I would know later if they did so. And maybe this would be enough of a deterrent for them to not touch it in the first place. I realize they could power off the dashcam using the dashcam buttons if they know how to, but I think at least with the A119, it's not immediately obvious that recording needs to be stopped first before the dashcam can be turned off using the power button.

So maybe if the power cable was taped up enough to the dashcam, someone would have to undo all the tape and leave a big mess that can't be easily restored if they tried to unplug the dashcam. And then it would be obvious that the dashcam was tampered with. Sort of like products that have a seal on the box packaging so that it's known whether the product was already opened or has never been opened.

I think you're kind of joking though?
Yes, it was intended to be humorous, although a well crafted message to auto mechanics, valet drivers, etc. without claiming the dash cam will explode might be effective.

Another option is to turn off the screen, LEDS and beep sounds and you might be able to not draw attention to the camera.

Personally, I disconnect my cameras when I bring my truck to my mechanic's garage as I trust the guys who work on my vehicle. This creates a nice positive relationship with everyone and I like the way it feels and they do as well when they see everything is unplugged. I don't feel the need to spy on anyone.

Last edited:
I think I would just remove the camera completely while the car is in the shop.

I think I would just remove the camera completely while the car is in the shop.

I have 5 cameras in my truck and this would be way more trouble than it's worth. The last thing I would want to do when I pick up my vehicle from being serviced at the garage would be having to reinstall all of them them and possibly have to re-aim them.

And like I said, when my mechanics see my cameras are installed but disconnected it sends a good message.

Everyone should do what they are most comfortable with.

Last edited:
If they are that worried about being seen on cam 'doing something', maybe they will just cover the lens up with something?

Back