how to watch video from dashcam

joe bloggs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, a newbie so pls be gentle, :)
i have a
i1000 / F70, however according to the review on here it could be marketed under any of the following:
i have transferred all the clips to my laptop and the manual states they are .mov files
however vlc doesnt play them, windows media player doesnt, so i am at a loss, what player should i use?
any help please would be gratefully recieved

Welcome to DCT, joe bloggs!

What are the file's extension? Do any of the players show any error message when trying to play the files?

vlc doesnt give an error, it just sits there doing nothing,
wmp, states server execution failed
just downloaded videopad and tried to load a file and the message was 'failed to load file'
the file format is .mov
i have even tried to upload the file to youtube to see what happens and it seems that its unable to process it.
each file has a time and date ect, which is the file name with .mov at the end

Last edited:
do the files play on the dashcam itself? i'll have to dig up my f70 as i haven't used it in a while, but i do remember that it records front and rear in separate files. what resolution is your f70 set to? i know mine has a fake 1080p which actually records at 1280x720, just with a smaller timestamp to try and fool people who don't check the actual resolution of the file. but i have no issues playing the files in vlc - in linux and in windows 7.

vlc doesnt give an error, it just sits there doing nothing,
wmp, states server execution failed
just downloaded videopad and tried to load a file and the message was 'failed to load file'
the file format is .mov
i have even tried to upload the file to youtube to see what happens and it seems that its unable to process it.
each file has a time and date ect, which is the file name with .mov at the end
How's the file identified in Windows Explorer? Quick Time file, VLC media file or other type of file?
Can you post a screen shot of the file properties or the MediaInfo details, if you have K-Lite's codec pack installed?

i have installed k-lite

Attachments

• mediainfo shot.png
    mediainfo shot.png
    219.3 KB · Views: 9
no its does not show any details at all on the details tab

have you tried playing the files directly in the camera? after stopping recording, i think you press the M button on top to switch between recording or playback mode, and the triangle button to start playing the file. can't remember for sure - it's been a long time since i've used my f70. if they don't play in the camera, it may be a bad memory card. if they DO play in the camera, then there's something wrong with your PC. i don't have klite codecs installed on my work pc, but the files play just fine in VLC. mine is set at vga resolution since i only have an 8gb card in the camera, and don't need high res for what i'm using it for. but i've not had any trouble playing the files when set at higher resolutions like 720p and the fake 1080p.
here's a video from my f70:

no its does not show any details at all on the details tab
The file you show is a B file, so it's probably from the rear camera. Have you checked an A file's info? If all the files are like that, they're all corrupted. As you can see, there's no video or audio info, that's why the media players are unable to play them.

The file you show is a B file, so it's probably from the rear camera. Have you checked an A file's info? If all the files are like that, they're all corrupted. As you can see, there's no video or audio info, that's why the media players are unable to play them.
my B files from the rear cam also show info there. they are 720x480 @25fps, no matter what you have the front camera set to.

well Jason i think you have cracked it for me , i had mine set to 1080, i have altered it to 720p and it recording and playing back, on the cam and now the pc, thank you so much for your help.
i have not had a need to keep any of the footage, ie accidents ,knocks ect, but lucky that i checked when i did, otherwise i would have had useless files. many thanks once again

glad i could help. the f70 was my first dashcam. :) the little allwinner processor inside can never support true 1080p - that's like asking a smart car to tow a 10 ton trailer. here's hoping you never actually NEED your dashcam. ;)

I'm wondering how many people are out there with these cameras set to 1080p, believing it's recording properly until the day they try to play the videos...

I'm wondering how many people are out there with these cameras set to 1080p, believing it's recording properly until the day they try to play the videos...
mine recorded and played back just fine in "1080p". it just wasn't actually 1080. it was 1280x720 with a smaller font for the time stamp to make it LOOK higher resolution. sad thing is, i don't think the sensor can even do 720p... video recorded at 640x480 (vga) looks identical to 720p video, except that 720p is cropped vertically to get 16:9 aspect ratio (640x480 = 4:3 aspect ratio). so i just run mine in 640 to get the larger picture (vertically) and smaller file size. i get like 4 hours of recording time on my 8gb card before the oldest file gets recycled. and that's in 2ch mode.

The information you share is really useful to me, I will visit you more often. Thank you for the supply. <link removed>
Why the link? Smells like a scam or spam to me.

Last edited:
all his 8 posts are like that, reported already

Back