Howdy ya'll! Long time lurker living in (not from) Indiana, USA

johnny_anon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Figured I should say hi and thanks to everyone that's posted their detailed reviews and installation tips. Hugely informative site.

I debated getting a dash cam until it was too late: last year, I got sideswiped by a road-rager but apparently the officer believed that despite having my 2 YO daughter in my VW Golf GTI, I tried to run a quad-cab full-size pickup off the road. :unsure:

So, I'm finally getting ready to bite the bullet and have kind of settled on the @Street Guardian USA SG9667DC2K due to the Starvis front sensor but also like the idea of the remote SG9663DR since my Volvo V60 already has the giant radar dome by the rearview mirror. I intend to hardwire the installation though parking mode isn't really a concern for me, nor is LTE. I could take or leave wifi and GPS, I think. 128GB card?

Obviously there are less expensive options with similar specifications but SG support and review history is a definite plus. Does anyone have any compelling reasons I should get something else?
Thanks again!

Figured I should say hi and thanks to everyone that's posted their detailed reviews and installation tips. Hugely informative site.

I debated getting a dash cam until it was too late: last year, I got sideswiped by a road-rager but apparently the officer believed that despite having my 2 YO daughter in my VW Golf GTI, I tried to run a quad-cab full-size pickup off the road. :unsure:

So, I'm finally getting ready to bite the bullet and have kind of settled on the @Street Guardian USA SG9667DC2K due to the Starvis front sensor but also like the idea of the remote SG9663DR since my Volvo V60 already has the giant radar dome by the rearview mirror. I intend to hardwire the installation though parking mode isn't really a concern for me, nor is LTE. I could take or leave wifi and GPS, I think. 128GB card?

Obviously there are less expensive options with similar specifications but SG support and review history is a definite plus. Does anyone have any compelling reasons I should get something else?
Thanks again!
Hi @johnny_anon ,
Great choice.
My current recommendation is Street Guardian SG9667DC2K or Viofo A139.
There is currently no compelling reason to get anything besides one of these two dashcams IMO.

Always go with the biggest high endurance card that you can afford. Helps with longevity. 256GB High Endurance Sandisk is only about $35-40 on Amazon (make sure it says both sold by and shipped by Amazon.com if you go the Amazon route).
You can also buy the bundle with this same 256GB High Endurance card from Street Guardian for $35 more vs getting only the dashcam which is exactly the same price as getting it separately from Amazon.

Hi @johnny_anon ,
Great choice.
My current recommendation is Street Guardian SG9667DC2K or Viofo A139.
There is currently no compelling reason to get anything besides one of these two dashcams IMO.

Always go with the biggest high endurance card that you can afford. Helps with longevity. 256GB High Endurance Sandisk is only about $35-40 on Amazon (make sure it says both sold by and shipped by Amazon.com if you go the Amazon route).
You can also buy the bundle with this same 256GB High Endurance card from Street Guardian for $35 more vs getting only the dashcam which is exactly the same price as getting it separately from Amazon.
Thanks for the super-quick reply. Any particular reason you suggest the A139 instead of the 129 plus? It looks like the 129 plus can do 60 FPS front at 2K (not that I think that's critical) and has a newer rear sensor. It gets a better review score here at 7.8 vs. 7.2 for the 139, and is about $60 less. Just a form factor thing or something else I'm missing?

Struggling to reconcile the price differences though. Accounting for CPL filter (for 129+), hard wire, and card, the 129+ is about a third less and the 139 is about 20% less.

Thanks for the card size tip too; makes sense if you're not over-writing as frequently life will improve. Hopefully if I go with SG their shipping is faster than Amazon's 10+ days, and I'd rather buy direct anyway.

Thanks for the super-quick reply. Any particular reason you suggest the A139 instead of the 129 plus? It looks like the 129 plus can do 60 FPS front at 2K (not that I think that's critical) and has a newer rear sensor. It gets a better review score here at 7.8 vs. 7.2 for the 139, and is about $60 less. Just a form factor thing or something else I'm missing?

Struggling to reconcile the price differences though. Accounting for CPL filter (for 129+), hard wire, and card, the 129+ is about a third less and the 139 is about 20% less.

Thanks for the card size tip too; makes sense if you're not over-writing as frequently life will improve. Hopefully if I go with SG their shipping is faster than Amazon's 10+ days, and I'd rather buy direct anyway.
A139 is a newer, premium, more refined product and will likely have a longer support/shelf life than the A129 Plus Duo despite nearly having almost the same sensor.
I know that the A129 Plus Duo had an issue with skipping frames, not sure if that issue was ever fixed.
The difference between A139 2CH and A129 Plus is only $40. Subtract the $15 cost of the free CPL which is not included with the A129 Plus and the difference is now only $25.
The A139 has faster dual band 5GHz WiFi and is also receiving many newer features like Parking Geo-fencing and Emergency-locked video extended which is possible that the A129 Plus may never receive.

See this day/night comparison here at 2K. I can see a visual difference which is very noticeable, despite using the same sensor.

The A129 Plus can do 60fps Front, but if the rear camera is running it can only do 30fps. The A139 can do 60fps front and 30fps rear simultaneously.

The newer rear sensor is about the same. IMX 291 vs IMX 307 is not much of a difference but there is a difference.
Based on this video, I believe that IMX291 is slightly better than IMX307 in most cases just by looking at the leaves, branches, etc....There were fewer cases were IMX307 was better but it did exist.

Last edited:
Welcome to DCT @johnny_anon :)
Pretty much agree with Lothar, but since you mentioned mounting space limitations keep in mind that the A139 has a larger 'footprint' when mounted mthan the remote units of the SG. You also want to ensure that whatever cam you get, the lens will 'see' through an area covered by the windshield wipers.

Phil

Thanks for the added info, @Lothar. I had to watch that comparison in the linked thread a few times looking at a1x9 vs a1y9, etc. but even with my eyes the difference is surprisingly significant. I'm underestimating differences in processing and over-emphasizing spec sheets in some of my research, I think.
Good point and thanks for the welcome, @SawMaster. That's what initially drew me to the remote SG. I'd looked at the Blackvues as well but have seen some negative reviews and I'm not sold on them for the price (and don't want/need the LTE or some of their other options).

Ifv you like the SG it will serve you well, and their US distributor is a long time well-respected member on this site so should you need official assistance and support it is just a post away and peer support from other knowledgeable owners is usually just minutes away. Same for Viofo and a few other manufacturers. You won't go wrong with either choice.

Phil

Hopefully if I go with SG their shipping is faster than Amazon's 10+ days, and I'd rather buy direct anyway.
Their shipping is faster than that for sure based on my personal experience.
You may want to contact @Street Guardian USA directly as I believe that there might be a discount for forum members here and it should also cost less buying it directly from them than from Amazon.

There should also be a sale on Memorial Day if you can wait that long.

Welcome to the forum Johnny

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Introductions 4
P Introductions 2
BlackCloud Introductions 3
S Introductions 2
I Introductions 1
Back