Huge no of Russian Dashcam recordings ... mainly crashes!

Submariner Gold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Vicovation MF3
Just wondered did Russians get into dashcams way before the rest of Europe?

In light if the huge number of russian crashes on the net., is their driving really that BAD, and hence they have to have a dashcam? Or is it just that they started recording stuff before the rest of Europe?

I did go to St Petersburg nearly 17 years ago.
I didnt notice many bad driving incidents, but to be honest then it seemed like only the rich and connected all had nice Mercedes Jeeps and Limos and the rest used public transport or walked.

Do they have a driving test?
Their driving standard and general driving awareness seems to be utterly abysmal.

yes they got into dashcams earlier, and yes they drive that bad, I was in Saint Petersberg 10 years ago, beautiful city but full of insane drivers

I am not going driving in Russia, unless its a rental T 72 tank, and it have a 4 channel dashcam system.

I was in Russia ( Odessa ) in August 1990 when it all collapsed. ( not my fault ) ;)

They may have let me off easy, i was after all the son of "one of our western comrades" :D

When i started sailing i was amazed the US embassy here just stamped visas in my passport so i could come and go over there as i pleased with no additional paperwork.
This i am sure will not do today in this world we have propped up on lies and paranoia, and me who thought the cold war era was bad :rolleyes:

Last edited:
there is no such thing as lane discipline in Russia, nor is there the ability to perceive hazards. It's a case of "if I'm in the right I'll continue my course, if you get in my way I'll drive into you". It's pretty safe to say damn near all collisions on Russian dashcam clips are no accident and are EASILY avoidable (I know, some aren't)

However, Russia is a very big country so I imagine while it seems like there are crashes on every street every week in Russia, it's probably not that bad, it's all relative!

However, Russia is a very big country so I imagine while it seems like there are crashes on every street every week in Russia, it's probably not that bad, it's all relative!

the amount of cameras certainly allows for a lot more incidents to be captured, any kind of inclement weather though and it's on for young and old, I took a 45 minute drive from my hotel to the airport when I was leaving and it was raining lightly, people seemed to drive even worse in those conditions, we passed 5 big accidents during that trip, I was there for other business at the time but I can credit that 5 day Russian trip (and one taxi ride in particular) as the point where I started to get interested in the idea of recording while you're driving

You say that but how do we know for sure? :D
Because he said "Russia" and not USSR. The latter had already collapsed. :p:giggle:

Just wondered did Russians get into dashcams way before the rest of Europe?

In light if the huge number of russian crashes on the net., is their driving really that BAD, and hence they have to have a dashcam? Or is it just that they started recording stuff before the rest of Europe?
They did because of the many insurance scams attempted by pedestrians. I'm sure you've seen some examples of that. :)

Too many drink and drive. Maybe this is the first reason of their stupid accidents.

enjoy,
Mtz

One of my favorite YT Russian car crash channels offers some English translation and it does seem that there's much stubborn independence in how they view their driving. Traffic laws and rules are suggestions which can be overlooked at will. If there is space for your vehicle then you can go there. If the car ahead of you moves too slowly you go around them wherever you want to. There is no concern exhibited for other drivers as if only you matter and they should yield to you. It doesn't help that many wide roads have only a center line so if there's room for 3 cars wide there will be at least 2 other cars beside you with others trying to force their way in. And if there is a classic Lada, Taxi, or ambulance nearby there will be a crash happening- count on it :p I can't imagine what their insurance rates are; they must be astronomical :rolleyes: One thing they do get right- it appears that jail time is given for some of the more serious offenses ;) It's all about luck and anything can happen- nobody is safe anywhere near the roads there.

Phil

From my own experience of being in Russia and asking why they were interested in recording everything a few things were mentioned, corruption is a huge problem, even if you were in the right the other party would try and bribe the police to make it your problem, insurance is very expensive so a lot of people only have basic cover and rely on the camera to capture their side of the story, police corruption for on the spot fines was also mentioned as being very common before cameras came along

yes they got into dashcams earlier, and yes they drive that bad, I was in Saint Petersberg 10 years ago, beautiful city but full of insane drivers

Absolutely was a beautiful city, two things really struck me .... one the huge economic division in society, and two the utterly stunning women in the expensive cafes, bars, clubs restaurants and hotels.

And if there is a classic Lada, Taxi, or ambulance nearby there will be a crash happening- count on it :p

Phil
Man, I started watching the Russian car crash videos videos pretty much since they debuted in YT and the amount of Ladas involved in accidents was just insane! There must be thousands of them still in circulation because there are still countless clips of accidents with them. :D

Yes, fools, of course, enough everywhere, but we have a lot of them:rolleyes:, just like we have a lot of dashcams installed in many many cars

Back