I Am Going to Make a Hard Wire Device

Xklatmachsadx

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a hardwire device and I am not happy with it, I am going to make one with a buck Converter, a power on delay timer circuit made with a 555 chip. It will not use any energy when the engine is off.

I am going to tap on to the LED in the DoubleGuard Shock sensor from my Viper alarm to power it up for a few seconds for small activities like people bumping the vehicle and longer if the activity set the alarm off. With this Parking Gaurd both cameras record at 1080-30 but uses no energy when not recording.

I will also use one of the alarms extra programmable auxiliary wires so that I can start the recording with one of the buttons on the key fob.

I estimate the cost of the materials to be around five dollars worth of things that I already have laying around. Expect pictures soon.

Well, the one that I bought has a delay of about five seconds, I think that it is a good idea for times when the engine is hard to start.

I do not, however, want a delay for the Parking Guard function, I haven't yet figured out the circuitry but it is doable.

I bench tested the buck Converter with the delay on the output and it worked fine with a LED and resistor taking the place of the dash cam BUT! The delay may need to be on the buck Converters input side so that I can bypass it during the Parking Gaurd function.

Last edited:
better option is to have a power off delay, instead of delaying the power up have it power up instantly but hold power in case of power cut, this will allow you to keep it running while you start the car without extra delay that will slow things down for your shock sensor trigger, the camera already takes a couple of seconds to start, if you further delay that then you're going to find it's too late for your shock sensor triggered events to be of much use

The Mini 0906 has a large capacitance that stores enough power to delay shut down until the recording process can complete. When the hardwire kit is installed then it uses the battery instead.

Anyway, you might be right, I am not sure if the power on delay is in the Mini itself or the hardwire kit? Huumm? I will know soon. Stay Tuned.

The shutdown process of the camera is irrelevant in this situation, that's handled already, adding a startup delay will work against you for your shock sensor idea, the camera is slow enough to start already without delaying it any further

Back