I bought 16GB class 10 Sandisk for Yi cam. Is it enough?

George1985

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hello. As the title said, i bought this sd card for my yi cam

Sandisk Ultra microSDHC 16GB class 10

Is it ok for yi cam? For manual upgrades firmware is it ok too?
I mean not only about speed, but with space also? Did i make a mistake and should buy 32GB? How much time can record at 1080p 60fps video with 100% battery and how many GB? I see many people chose 32Gb that why i ask. And if i made wrong i will buy 32Gb.

Thank you very much and sorry for my english!

Last edited:
Is it ok for yi cam? For manual upgrades firmware is it ok too?
I mean not only about speed, but with space also? Did i make a mistake and should buy 32GB? How much time can record at 1080p 60fps video with 100% battery and how many GB? I see many people chose 32Gb
Yes, it will be OK for firmware updating
You can record a little more than a hour (maybe up to 1.5 hours) 1080p 60fps video (if quality in menu is set to High). And you can record 60-70 min 1080p 60fps video using one fully charged battery - so your card is enough for one battery. If you are going to record more and have a few batteries, you need another card

Thank you for your post. Just thought that 32Gb would work more easily for xiaomy yi without lags, but if i understood right from your most the diferrences are only about time of recording videos, nothing else (lag, speed etc no problem with these).
You said at 1080p 60 fps can record 60-70 min with one battery. How much Gb would be about? I just wanna be sure that my 16Gb card will be enough for 1 hour recording at 1080p/60fps. The card says 16Gb but the real space is less i think... Maybe 14-15Gb ? Correct if i m wrong.
I hope i made a good choise about 16Gb card and no waste money..

Thank you again!

You said at 1080p 60 fps can record 60-70 min with one battery. How much Gb would be about? I just wanna be sure that my 16Gb card will be enough for 1 hour recording at 1080p/60fps. The card says 16Gb but the real space is less i think... Maybe 14-15Gb ? Correct if i m wrong.
Bitrate of 1080p 60fps video is about 28 Mb/s (you can increase it by using scripts, but as for me, the quality with default settings is quite well). So 1 hour video weights 28/8*3600=12600 MB or 12,3 GB. So you have enough space for 1 hour video.

Ok one more question please.. Can i use this card with 2K video quality?
Or 2K requirements faster cards like U3 ?
Will have lag problems with Class 10 and 2K? Overheating the cam?
If there is no problem, how much time about with 16GB card and 2K quality?

Thank you very much and sorry for posting again....

Ok one more question please.. Can i use this card with 2K video quality?
Or 2K requirements faster cards like U3 ?
Will have lag problems with Class 10 and 2K? Overheating the cam?
If there is no problem, how much time about with 16GB card and 2K quality?

Thank you very much and sorry for posting again....
2K video has 30fps and bitrate a little bit more than 15 Mb/s (by default, can be increased with scripts). So you don't need a faster card. And 16GB card is more tha a hour of 2K video - you can calculate it easily

I recently got a Xiaomi Yi, not for use as a dashcam but for skydiving (see my Avatar) and primarily for shooting 16 megapixel stills, hopefully 2 per second in timelapse mode. It`s winter here in Canada so we haven`t had a chance to try it in the sky yet but I`m trying to be ready for spring:). I bought what I thought was a Sandisk class 10 Micro SD card (not Ultra) on eBay. I`m wondering if it`s fake (it certainly looks legit). I`ve tried taking 16 MP time lapse sequences at 2 frames per second and it can`t seem to keep up. I tried some burst mode sequences (set for 7 frames in 2 seconds) and not only didn`t it quite do that but it changed the size from 16 MP to 8 MP. I ran the card through the benchmarking program IsMyHdOK and the card`s sustained write speed is half a Lexar class 10 Micro SD, about a third of an old Lexar class 6 SD and between a 10th and a 20th of some real Sandisk Extreme Pro SD cards I have. I`m patiently waiting for some Sandisk Extreme Pro Micro SD cards from Amazon that hopefully will allow the Yi to do what I want.

Is it possible that basic class 10 (minimum 10 MB per second) is good enough for 1080p60 video but not good enough for timelapse or burst mode 16MP stills ?

Possible. An 16MP picture is perhaps 2MB in size. That's 7MB/sec. right there. The 35Mbps firmware lets you write video at ~4.4MB/sec.
Look for u3 cards. https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/
I went with a bunch of the samsung pro and pro+ cards. So far they've been great for me.

Card capacity is really just related to how much you want to be able to shoot before you either delete or swap cards.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
vegetaleb Yi Action Camera 1
B Yi Action Camera 12
Back