i change car/van every day......... and i would like a cam

fearlessbob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello..... if you wouldnt mind me picking your brains...

im self employed, and i freelance for 6 or so companies, they each have about 5 vans, in any given week i normally drive at least 3, though im not a professional driver, none of them have a camera in and i would like one that is suited to switching around alot

essentially i need one with a really good suction mount thats like old tomtom ones....ie is built to last, not one of the crap ones thats clearly meant to be suckered on and left there for ages
and have power leads that wont go loose and crap when there repeatably taken in and out, and then its left in a case when not in use

be powered by usb rather then a hard wired lighter socket plug, so i can power my phone as well

i dont care about almost any features, parking stuff, as it wont be left in there, i dont care if its even that good, even if it isnt good enough to show peoples numberplates that well, there not my vans after all..... just so long as i can prove things werent my fault

and ideally, be cheap (obvs),

as you may have guessed thats been a problem for me in the past a few times where people just lie and you have no comeback..... even when a dude in a bmw t-boned me.... literally, claimed it was my fault and he had wiplash, which even the insurance company laughed at but you get my point lol

penny for your thoughts

and cheers in advance

G1W Camera comes with suction mount, also one rearview mirror holder, both holders are simple to remove!

The mobius action/dash cam is kind of dated, but small and reliable. Night time video isn't so great.
You can replace the internal battery with a capacitor, which increases longevity and reliability a bit.
I use a mobius often in rental cars. $80 +/-
A Viofo WR1 has pretty good overall video, small, no screen, has a suction cup mount, app you can use via your smartphone. recorded audio is a bit low. $80 US -//+

The Yi dashcam is pretty good for the money, has a screen, good overall video, not so small. $50 ish.

cheers for the replys... ive been thinking i should get something like this

https://blackpointsecurity.com/prod...-dvr-camera-spy-dash-cam-ir-night-vision.html

so i can point the cameras out at 45 degrees or whatever so the images overlap a bit giving me super wide angle, as the vans have no rear window obviously....

except not that one as i live in the uk, and i dont think they sell them here, ive spotted a few of that design but this is the only one i seem to able to find that has 2 lens that are the same focal length, most of them have one wide angle and one tight for the back window.....

any thoughts

cheers
joe

You pretty much want to skip any dashcam that claims to have 'night vision' and some illuminating LEDS on it.

i dont actually want that one..... not just for those reasons lol,

i was hoping someone might now of a sililar form factor one i can get in the uk that isnt a stupid one that has 2 cameras with the same focal lenth on each

not sure of the specs but Nextbase have a model similar to the first one you posted, quality will be higher though

The new A119 Pro comes with a suction cup mount. It's currently on offer for £53. It has a USB adapter so you can power the A119 Pro and your phone at the same time.
A119 Pro on Amazon UK

How about a Blueskysea B1W, plus enough mounts to leave one in each vehicle?

For your purposes I'd get a G1W-S. Old-fashioned and clunky looking but good enough video day and night, highly reliable, and about as cheap as any good cam gets. Plus it has a good suction mount. These never sold well but are better quality than any other G1W series cams and you get more than your moneys worth from them. The "T-slot" mount is a very common one so there are a number of aftermarket units to be found if you want something different or yours wears out.

The B1W is also good but the mount is proprietary and it's better suited for more permanent installs. It's a better cam in every way otherwise. Nextbase has a line of cams we don't get over here but they seem to be pretty popular and have good customer support so that's another possibility for you. Even though you don't want to spend a lot of money, keep in mind that any cam which isn't solidly reliable will likely die when you need it the most, so resolve to spend what you have to in order to get that.

Phil

Back