I finally got my dash cam wired - now to see if everything works correctly ...

iBud

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR650GW-1CH
Aloha everyone,

I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of good information here. I've never had a dash cam before and I didn't want to screw anything up, so I want to thank y'all for all the responses to my other threads.

I worked with a coworker today and installed the add-a-circuit fuse adapters and everything seems to be working well. After I get home today, I'll check the microSD card to see if I got any Parking events, but the installation of the Power Magic Pro couldn't have been simpler. I have a 64GB card and set it to 12v and infinite recording. I probably could've set it for a shorter time, but I'm curious as to what I will pick up.

All I know is that my wife is pleased with the footage thus far and knowing that we have no exposed wires will please her even more. She didn't like that I had to use the power outlet behind our center console, so she'll really like it now.

Personally for the Blackvue cameras, I set the motion detection to about 5/100, the default is 40/100 and is overly sensitive.
What firmware are you currently running?

Personally for the Blackvue cameras, I set the motion detection to about 5/100, the default is 40/100 and is overly sensitive.
What firmware are you currently running?

I'm running the 2.005 (the Cloud version). I can verify that the video is 10Mbps bit rate. Everything is working very well indeed, except the GPS seems to take its sweet time to lock on, and then loses its lock intermittently while I'm driving. Still, it's easy enough to follow on the map. I'm not sure if the legacy firmware has this option, but I remember seeing an option to omit showing the current speed, while still getting location data. Thanks for the tip on the motion detector - I'll put that into play later.

I see, Perhaps V2.006 might fix your GPS issue. I wonder if the mounting position is what's causing the issue, there may be some interference.
Not sure about the ML/GLE but for Tesla they are notoriously difficult to get a built-in GPS working

I see, Perhaps V2.006 might fix your GPS issue. I wonder if the mounting position is what's causing the issue, there may be some interference.
Not sure about the ML/GLE but for Tesla they are notoriously difficult to get a built-in GPS working

You may be right with the interference thing. I put it directly below the housing for the rear-view window, but I have both rain and light sensors and what not there. This pic shows what I mean. The nice thing is that mounted there, I don't even see it while I drive - no visual obstruction.

51Pm5E2zvaL.jpg

I have a question about Parking Mode. I've noticed that after I get in the car and begin driving, after 2-3 minutes I finally hear the announcement about Parking Mode being turned off. Is that normal? Shouldn't Parking Mode be turned off as soon as the engine starts? Maybe I need to tap a different fuse. What do y'all think?

Don't worry about it. That's the way my camera has been operating since new. Your camera is still running and if anything happens until then, "event mode" should kick in.

I have a question about Parking Mode. I've noticed that after I get in the car and begin driving, after 2-3 minutes I finally hear the announcement about Parking Mode being turned off. Is that normal? Shouldn't Parking Mode be turned off as soon as the engine starts? Maybe I need to tap a different fuse. What do y'all think?
That.. is the way it is designed to work. As "I" understand it.. using PMP with the switch "ON" your camera is powered continuously from the battery (subject to the controls provided by the PMP). With the switch "OFF" you are essentially bypassing the PMP and your camera is powered only from a source that comes on with ignition.
So.. using the PMP and the parking mode of the camera there is no interruption of power and thus nothing to tell the camera that conditions have changed. It is the activity of the motion sensors that switch the camera from parking mode to driving mode...
Or.. perhaps, the content of the video changing from casual movement as with parking compared to massive movement as in driving. In any case it takes some time for the camera to recognize the change in status.

That.. is the way it is designed to work. As "I" understand it.. using PMP with the switch "ON" your camera is powered continuously from the battery (subject to the controls provided by the PMP). With the switch "OFF" you are essentially bypassing the PMP and your camera is powered only from a source that comes on with ignition.
So.. using the PMP and the parking mode of the camera there is no interruption of power and thus nothing to tell the camera that conditions have changed. It is the activity of the motion sensors that switch the camera from parking mode to driving mode...
Or.. perhaps, the content of the video changing from casual movement as with parking compared to massive movement as in driving. In any case it takes some time for the camera to recognize the change in status.

This is the info I was looking for after finishing my install today. Thanks. This forum is great.

Last edited:
Back