I got me some 9800mAh 18650 batteries from Ebay ( For testing )

old4570

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Front: 70MAI , Ausdom A261, Mini 0826 , Rear: A118c
I posted this review over at BLF , but thought it might be worth sharing here as it's a public service announcement .

IMGP2826.jpg

The following is a public service announcement ! I was on Feebay and thought about the Dumpster Brand batteries ! ( Dumpster Brand > Buy some batteries – Throw them in the dumpster cos there so bad ) We all know feebay is flooded with garbage batteries , but I find pleasure in testing them just to see how bad they are . ( Rather than how good ) Have we seen the 9800mAh batteries ? ( 18650 ) Yeah there a joke , unfortunately people are buying them and then doing things with them they should not do . So lets get on with it ! I will discharge them ( well I did ) @ 0.5A , to 3v to see how much , or how little capacity is actually in these alleged 9800mAh batteries .

I got these as a pair , and the first discharge resulted in :
Battery 1 = 518mAh discharged ( yeah > thats 518 mA )
Battery 2 = 684mAh discharged ( Jaw dropping right )

2nd Discharge :
Battery 1 = 548mAh
Battery 2 = 682mAh

Would it be fair to say these are monumentally bad . Possibly dangerous , life threatening , absolute garbage that should not be for sale anywhere ? ( Would that be fair ? )
And so endith the public service announcement !

Last edited:
They were probably really good batteries when they were newly fitted in their Prius, but after 10 years daily use and 100,000 miles, simply wrapping them in a brand new yellow coat doesn't mean that they will regain their original performance!

What you get from an "UltraFire" battery is random, depending on what happened to it in its previous life.

I think any 18650 listed over about 4000mahr is a sure bet to be a fraud. Most 18650's range from 2000mahr to about 3600mahr and even there you should bet the real capacity will be less than advertised. Many of these Chinese offerings use truly insane levels of lying -- often an order of magnitude higher or lower than real.

OTH, there are D-cells from "legitimate" battery makers that are, in fact, an AA battery inside a D sized case with capacity equal to an AA cell.

We live in a time where companies can say and do anything and have little fear the government will do anything to stop them.

brian

On that note, does anyone have an example of decent fleabay batteries?

Largest 18650 batteries i know off are < 4000 MAH, the ones i use in my flashlights are 3000 - 3500 as i recall LG HG2 and Sony VTC6

A fellow Dane run one of the most comprehensive sites for things related to lipo batteries / chargers flashlights and so on.
http://lygte-info.dk/info/BatteriesRidiculousRatings UK.html

Sadly the design of his page are not as good as his tests.

Last edited:
Ultrafire has been around for a very long time .. Maybe more than 10 years ..

So before Ultrafire was cloned / counterfeited , they supplied a decent product ... Unfortunately today , how do you know what is genuine or not ?
So Ultrafire has become very suspect , because of all the fakes .

I have some real Ultrafire 18650s I bought some years back that have performed quite well and are still in regular service.
I also have an original Ultrafire WF501B (T6-XM-L), a classic from the time before the market got flooded with counterfeit clones.

Yeah !
Got my 501 / 502 / 504 and a few others ...
Also have some Ultrafire 18650 that are close to 10 years old .. ( Also 16340 ) Actually my 16340 would be older ..

Counterfeits are so good now , no telling fakes from the real ones .. ( Not from the wrapper - Same with the flashlights )

I too have some ultreafires that work fine, but i doubt they hold the 6000 MAH it say on them, dont take longer to charge than any of my other batteries ( 1 A )

Also use some 18650 from the power packs for my HID torch, they also work well but i have no clue what the hell brand they are.

Back