I have borked my LK-7900 ! FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

superpat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

For those whom English is not their first language or anyone not familiar with the term:-

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=borked

I was attempting to update from AC21 to AC23. It all appeared to go well until after the camera had updated, rebooted, (showed me AC23 in the rear LEDS), it then asked and formatted the card that was in the camera.. After that nada, nothing, zero, zilch, :cry: :oops:

Now when I power up the camera, the FRONT blue LED comes on for a couple of seconds then goes off. Nothing else happens even waiting forever, SD card in or out!

I have been in contact with Lukas, asking if there is a de-bricking procedure, there is apparantly a "master" sdcard which may perform a miracle, which I am waiting for.

In the meantime, has anyone de-bricked one of these devices? Is there a reset procedure?

Any pertinent advice gratefully received! :)

I think it is going to be an RMA job though

cheers

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I have borked my LK-7900 !

superpat said:
HI,

For those whom English is not their first language or anyone not familiar with the term:-

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=borked

I was attempting to update from AC21 to AC23. It all appeared to go well until after the camera had updated, rebooted, (showed me AC23 in the rear LEDS), it then asked and formatted the card that was in the camera.. After that nada, nothing, zero, zilch, :cry: :oops:

Now when I power up the camera, the FRONT blue LED comes on for a couple of seconds then goes off. Nothing else happens even waiting forever, SD card in or out!

I have been in contact with Lukas, asking if there is a de-bricking procedure, there is apparantly a "master" sdcard which may perform a miracle, which I am waiting for.

In the meantime, has anyone de-bricked one of these devices? Is there a reset procedure?

Any pertinent advice gratefully received! :)

I think it is going to be an RMA job though

cheers

Patrick

You probably need to insert a copy of the original card that came with the unit. It has a setup file. I bet the first thing you did when you got your camera was not backing up the SD. Inserting as card with only the firmware should fix it. Did you try another card? Did you see if the card can be read with a PC? Maybe someone can post the setup file somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe it cannot find a config. Did you try creating a setting file from Lukas Viewer on the SD card then put it in the camera to force a new configuration?

Hi Al,

Thanks for your quick reply, unfortunately I've tried all these! No matter whether I use the original card, my "new" card, a card with just the firmware, or no card at all ------ The only thing the camera does at "switch on" is to flash the front blue led for about a second, then NOTHING else happens, no voice messages, no illumination of the 7 segment leds on the back and no videos being recorded.

Replying to your suggestion line by line

"You probably need to insert a copy of the original card that came with the unit. It has a setup file".

I tried that! ( I also produced a new setup file using the new version of the viewer, and created a new formatted SD card complete with setup file, and the three folders for the three types of videos.)

"I bet the first thing you did when you got your camera was not backing up the SD".

( NO I copied it to my PC as a Primary backup!)

"Inserting as card with only the firmware should fix it".

NO it had no effect.

"Did you try another card?"

YES (see above)

"Did you see if the card can be read with a PC?"

YES (see above)

"Maybe someone can post the setup file somewhere."

Don't need it, 1. I have the original and 2) I can generate a set up file any time with the Lukas viewer Bear in mind when you use the tool kit in the viewer and change the parameters the ONLY way the camera will "see" the changes is if you do a SAVE from the viewer to the SD card in the PC, whereupon the new config will be written. Since the AC23 firmware needs different parameters to AC21, for example the new bit rates, I wrote the config file for AC23 using the new version of the viwer.

What I really need is to know if there is a combination of the buttons and power switch to put the device into a recover mode, (like what happens on an Android tablet). I have tried all the combos I can think of to no avail

Thanks again, any more help appreciated.

P

@ Gigitt,

Thanks for your input, but I tried that, (see my reply to Al's suggestions)

Thanks

P

Hi Again,

Here is a directory of the ORIGINAL card:-
Code:
ls -la  /media/LUKAS
total 13572
drwx------ 6 patrick patrick    65536 Jan  1  1970 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root    root        4096 Jun 23 14:18 ..
drwx------ 2 patrick patrick    65536 Jun 14 00:37 AlwaysMovie
-rw-r--r-- 1 patrick patrick      268 Jun 13 14:45 config.bin
drwx------ 2 patrick patrick    65536 Jun 14 00:37 EventMovie
-rw-r--r-- 1 patrick patrick 12845676 Jun 13 14:28 firmware
-rw-r--r-- 1 patrick patrick   558101 Apr  4 09:36 LK-7900 ACE User Manual_ENG.pdf
drwx------ 2 patrick patrick    65536 May 31 14:22 Lukas LK-7900 Ace Viewer
drwx------ 2 patrick patrick    65536 Jun 13 22:04 MotionMovie

cheers

P

Here is a directory of my new card
Code:
patrick@silch ~ $ ls -la  /media/LUKAS
total 12996
drwx------ 6 patrick patrick    65536 Jan  1  1970 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root    root        4096 Jun 23 14:22 ..
drwx------ 2 patrick patrick    65536 Jun 20 08:29 AlwaysMovie
-rw-r--r-- 1 patrick patrick      268 Jun 20 08:32 config.bin
drwx------ 2 patrick patrick    65536 Jun 20 08:29 EventMovie
-rw-r--r-- 1 patrick patrick 12845676 Jun 13 14:28 firmware
drwx------ 2 patrick patrick    65536 Jun 20 08:29 MotionMovie
drwx------ 4 patrick patrick    65536 Jun 20 09:49 .Trash-1000

superpat said:
Hi Al,

Thanks for your quick reply, unfortunately I've tried all these! No matter whether I use the original card, my "new" card, a card with just the firmware, or no card at all ------ The only thing the camera does at "switch on" is to flash the front blue led for about a second, then NOTHING else happens, no voice messages, no illumination of the 7 segment leds on the back and no videos being recorded.

Replying to your suggestion line by line

"You probably need to insert a copy of the original card that came with the unit. It has a setup file".

I tried that! ( I also produced a new setup file using the new version of the viewer, and created a new formatted SD card complete with setup file, and the three folders for the three types of videos.)

"I bet the first thing you did when you got your camera was not backing up the SD".

Did you format the card using the viewer and it is FAT32 not done using windows?
( NO I copied it to my PC as a Primary backup!)

"Inserting as card with only the firmware should fix it".

NO it had no effect.

"Did you try another card?"

YES (see above)

"Did you see if the card can be read with a PC?"

YES (see above)

"Maybe someone can post the setup file somewhere."

Don't need it, 1. I have the original and 2) I can generate a set up file any time with the Lukas viewer Bear in mind when you use the tool kit in the viewer and change the parameters the ONLY way the camera will "see" the changes is if you do a SAVE from the viewer to the SD card in the PC, whereupon the new config will be written. Since the AC23 firmware needs different parameters to AC21, for example the new bit rates, I wrote the config file for AC23 using the new version of the viwer.

What I really need is to know if there is a combination of the buttons and power switch to put the device into a recover mode, (like what happens on an Android tablet). I have tried all the combos I can think of to no avail

Thanks again, any more help appreciated.

P

Hi,

Progress -- (or lack of it) update

Lukas have dispatched the magical master recovery sdcard. :D

It is in UK customs at the moment, I will not get it until Monday or Tuesday next week as Parcelfarce don't deliver at normal rates on a weekend. :(

Will keep you posted whether it works next week.

cheers

P

superpat said:
Hi,

Progress -- (or lack of it) update

Lukas have dispatched the magical master recovery sdcard. :D

It is in UK customs at the moment, I will not get it until Monday or Tuesday next week as Parcelfarce don't deliver at normal rates on a weekend. :(

Will keep you posted whether it works next week.

cheers

P

Great news. I'll be waiting for a good report. Good luck.

Re: I have borked my LK-7900 ! FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI

As you can see from the title , I now have a working LK-7900 :D :D :D

This is due to the excellent service Lukas offer their customers.

The "magic" Sd card arrived lunchtime Monday.

I turned off camera, plugged in repair SD card, held M button and powered up, released M button.

Nothing appeared to happen fo a couple of minutes, then AC 23 appeared in the 7 segment LEDS and the Korean lady announced something in Korean.

I powered off removed the "Magic" card and put my own SDCard in, with English settings on Config.bin, (from the viewer program).

All Working Great!

Before I used the repair card, I had a look it on my Linux system, It could not find the card, even at a low level, ( as a new dev, partition or file type), so It must be written in a very funny way. Dmesg reported a media read error, and the wrong bits returned from the sense byte, from the device /dev/sdb. It is indeed written in a most "funny" format.

Still the magic card worked great!. I hope that the last thing the repair does is not to wipe the card, otherwise if I borke the LK-7900 again, I will have to ask Lukas for another card!

I am very happy I bought a Lukas product.

cheers

Glad you got it fixed, excellent customer service :)

Also did they ask you where you purchased the camera from before sending the magic sd card out?

@jamesbcd

Hi.

No, they never asked !

Not only did they send the repair card 24hr express (took 5 days). They also included a spare plastic screen mount and a sticky, without asking.

I am very impressed with their service.

BTW, The images from the camera with AC23 appear very sharp and clear, from a first look. Tomorrow we will be on a journey, I'll see how many number plates I can read.

cheers

P

superpat said:
HI

As you can see from the title , I now have a working LK-7900 :D :D :D

This is due to the excellent service Lukas offer their customers.

The "magic" Sd card arrived lunchtime Monday.

I turned off camera, plugged in repair SD card, held M button and powered up, released M button.

Nothing appeared to happen fo a couple of minutes, then AC 23 appeared in the 7 segment LEDS and the Korean lady announced something in Korean.

I powered off removed the "Magic" card and put my own SDCard in, with English settings on Config.bin, (from the viewer program).

All Working Great!

Before I used the repair card, I had a look it on my Linux system, It could not find the card, even at a low level, ( as a new dev, partition or file type), so It must be written in a very funny way. Dmesg reported a media read error, and the wrong bits returned from the sense byte, from the device /dev/sdb. It is indeed written in a most "funny" format.

Still the magic card worked great!. I hope that the last thing the repair does is not to wipe the card, otherwise if I borke the LK-7900 again, I will have to ask Lukas for another card!

I am very happy I bought a Lukas product.

cheers

That's great news. Those LUKAS people rule.

Good to hear you're fixed.

Now I hope Lukas put the DEV firmware on a nice Fat 64/128GB SD Card for you :)

Gigitt said:
Good to hear you're fixed.

Now I hope Lukas put the DEV firmware on a nice Fat 64/128GB SD Card for you :)
I don't think he would dare to reformat the card, in case his camera gets busted again. ;)

Hi

@giggitt

Nah -- It was a 4Gb card.

@swordfish

You are absolutely correct.... There is no way I would destroy this magic card. I only hope that the last thing it did when repairing my LK-7900 was NOT to delete the magic spell on itself.

I tried to copy the card before using it to recover my camera, using my Linux system and the cli command "dd" . However the system would not "see" the card at all even at the lowest level. It threw a repeated error:-

Code:
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16381.405645] scsi 6:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Generic- Multi-Card       1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16381.411020] sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.021368] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] 7829504 512-byte logical blocks: (4.00 GB/3.73 GiB)
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.024611] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.024621] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.026466] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page present
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.026475] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.036498] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page present
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.036514] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.092732] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Unhandled sense code
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.092740] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb]  Result: hostbyte=invalid driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.092749] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb]  Sense Key : Medium Error [current] 
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.092759] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb]  Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.092770] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 00
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.092787] end_request: critical target error, dev sdb, sector 0
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.092798] Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0

Since the Linux system thought the card was bad, it would not let me perform any ops on the card. It is obviously written with a very low level recovery code, that is readable by some hard coded routine in the micro proc non volatile memory.

YMMV

cheers

P

Code:
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.092787] end_request: critical target error, dev sdb, sector 0
Jul  1 15:13:41 silch kernel: [16382.092798] Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0

Hmm.. if/when I receive mine for my bricked 7900, I will poke around and see if I can get any further with it than you have. Now I'm deathly curious to see how they did it, because something had to write that card. I don't suppose I can borrow yours for a bit? :)

Hi Superpat ,

i read your topic with great interest .
I had and still have the save problem with my 7300G ,
i wish Qrontech produces a similar solution.

Qrontech blamed me as the culprit : saying there was a power interruption
when i re-install the firmware !!! no way in hundred years there was a power shortage.

See :http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/lukas-7300g-stuck-after-re-install-firmware-solution.3648/

The only solution offered by the seller : redo what i did 20 times already ....no help to fix.

I wrote Qrontech ....they refused to help more than supplying the original firmware \ 1.8

Back