i have heard people say they reverted to official firmware from custom 1.2, what were the issues?

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
i was considering getting the custom firmware to get higher bitrate on my 550 2ch, but i have read many people vaguely mention having issues and going back to the official firmware. it seems like many people had different issues on not one main issue... is it worth using for better picture quality? one user i read even claimed poor picture quality which i thought was the main reason for the custom firmware.

i was considering getting the custom firmware to get higher bitrate on my 550 2ch, but i have read many people vaguely mention having issues and going back to the official firmware. it seems like many people had different issues on not one main issue... is it worth using for better picture quality? one user i read even claimed poor picture quality which i thought was the main reason for the custom firmware.
New FW trully gives wide range of settings to personalize performance and "on the paper" it looks very good, but the problem is that hardware can not cope ( too weak ) with protsessing custom FW commands. Hense all troubles.
FW has to be made in according to HW potentials.

Yes I reverted back, it was just not reliable enough, kept corrupting the SD card and failing.

I need a camera to record not one to consistently fix, so I reverted not had a problem since.

IMO not worth the hassle for a better picture, the genuine picture is good enough!

Like Saj, I'm back on standard again, and god knows I tried to make the custom firmware work.
The picture quality when running at the bitrate I wanted (12/8) looked great, however, the picture kept stopping - and my card was plenty fast enough.
Then the camera started freezing.
It was just so unreliable. (sadly).

So I had to go back to standard for the same reasons as Saj - I needed a constant working video.

thanks guys I think you really backed up my suspicion that it is best to stay on the official firmware. my main concern is just in the event of a hit and run the picture might not be able to clearly show a license plate at a weird angle unless its directly head on. i know thats sort of paranoia but it happens, just a week after i was telling a co worker about my camera and the mobius and he was considering getting one, someone hit and ran his car leaving a fairly large basketball sized dent.

but it seems like even the footage ive seen of higher bitrate cameras arent significantly better either for many situations unless you get a direct head on view of the plate. especially in the case of rear cameras which are all still 720p still right now.

i am putting far too much concern into just a honda civic haha.

How did you revert back to official firmware?
Is there a guide?

As far as license plates go ask yourself how many hit and runs have you been in? That would be only time license plate would be needed. So even if you were not able to capture license plate for most accidents it is still helpful. Main use of the camera will be to prove to the cop or insurance what happened. From what I have seen with this camera I assume you will not capture the license plate. I am hoping the next series from the 650 will have better rate as they did not increase it much/4k resolution. Blackvue still has best form factor, they just lacking behind in quality of the picture.

Back