I have problems with the coordinates.

viggoboy

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I have problems with the coordinates.
It shows a total error.
driving now in Germany and encountering an error. Looking at the camera and comparing to reality
camera = 52.1297 N 8.4991 E
reality = according to Google Maps 52 ° 12'57.9 "N 8 ° 49'54.7" E or 52.216075, 8.831865
An error of about 30 km ( 18 mile)
I have Firmware 2016 11 04 v.2.0

what is the problem

Don't know what dashcam you have, but is it possible the 52.1297 should have the "." replaced by a "°" and an "'" inserted after the "12"?
or maybe it should be "52°12.97'"?

Last edited:
Coordinates are expressed in many different formats. Try this site (one among many) and see if the results are closer. https://www.gps-coordinates.net/gps-coordinates-converter. Your coordinates as they are expressed could also be rounded back and not showing you the full value. The more decimal places the better the accuracy. Or.. you are taking the measurements at a spot where there is some local GPS interference / anomaly.. Could be many reasons why they don't match.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Though I wasn't paying a lot of attention, a S&R group was discussing which GPS format to standardize on and I do remember there were four different ones being discussed. I had presumed dashcams all used one system but I could be wrong.

GPS works to find location by the time difference between signals coming from different satellites. They work at UHF frequencies, and signals up that high can reflect off of any smooth, hard surface. When that occurs it will slow the signal down, and that will alter the displayed location. In a city, the GPS signal may bounce off of several buildings and really make a mess of things. Most GPS receivers have several satelites locked in, so if one shows an error it will compensate for that by ignoring it. Or the displayed location may jump, then go back to true as you move along. The GPS units in dashcams are pretty basic and more prone to errors, but they should not display position errors for very long, just a few seconds. If the errors are for a minute or more then try moving the GPS module toward a clearer view of the sky. If you still see frequent long-time errors then the GPS module itself could be bad, or it may be getting interfered with by another data signal inside the car. Dashcams have been known to cause such interference, and the other way round too.

Phil

Back