I heard him, before I saw him Dallas area, I-635

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
I was looking for a fast moving car, all I could find was this loud silver Camaro, going 'nowhere'. The driver was also wearing some sort of large hooded garment. You couldn't see his face, and I doubt his peripheral vision was very good.

The car had a paper license plate. My guess is he will total it before making the first monthly payment.

I'll bet his biggest complaint about the car is the terrible gas mileage he gets. :rolleyes:

I was trying to figure out clutch, or automatic, and how powerless that car must be if you can make that much noise and not hit the car ahead?

probably an auto v6 (based on the double downshift under the bridge), and he's punched out the cats and put on straight pipes or something to get such a raspy sound. have to wonder if he knows the guy in the dark sedan ahead of him, the way he kept tailgating...

probably an auto v6 (based on the double downshift under the bridge), and he's punched out the cats and put on straight pipes or something to get such a raspy sound. have to wonder if he knows the guy in the dark sedan ahead of him, the way he kept tailgating...
I was assuming that it was electronic noise rather than exhaust given the total lack of acceleration! Doesn't sound like a V6 to me, more like a 4 cylinder rally car, though why you would choose that noise for a road car if it was electronically produced I have no idea.

I was assuming that it was electronic noise rather than exhaust given the total lack of acceleration! Doesn't sound like a V6 to me, more like a 4 cylinder rally car, though why you would choose that noise for a road car if it was electronically produced I have no idea.
afaik, they don't make a 4cyl camaro. but a naturally aspirated engine needs some backpressure to produce torque, and if you make the exhaust too free-flowing, you lose all torque. sure, you'll maybe get better MPG and maybe better top end power, but down low in the rev range, where most people drive, it'll just be noisy and slow. like all those civics with their fart cans...

afaik, they don't make a 4cyl camaro. but a naturally aspirated engine needs some backpressure to produce torque, and if you make the exhaust too free-flowing, you lose all torque. sure, you'll maybe get better MPG and maybe better top end power, but down low in the rev range, where most people drive, it'll just be noisy and slow. like all those civics with their fart cans...
No, backpressure is always a negative, it wastes power and fuel because the engine has to work against it.

The reason huge pipes tend to lack low down torque is that the wider the pipes the slower the flow and high speed flow is required for a nasp engine to create a good vacuum behind the exhaust gasses to suck the last bit of exhaust out of the cylinders and start sucking in the next batch of fuel. If the exhaust pipes are too wide then the engine doesn't get as much fuel.

Could it be a V8 with no pipes? Don't know what sort of V8 a Camaro has, didn't even know it was a Camaro until you said, we don't have them here.

I thought some backpressure was needed, maybe just for emissions or diesel stuff?

A V-8 with no pipes would be much louder. (Or an old camaro with rusted out pipes)

I thought some backpressure was needed, maybe just for emissions or diesel stuff?
The backpressure requirement is just a myth based on misunderstanding how complex exhaust tuning is. Increasing the diameter of pipes near the front of the exhaust to reduce backpressure often decreases low rev torque due to the slowing of the gas flow in wider pipes, the speed of the gas flow is important in producing the scavenging effect in the cylinders that sucks in the next load of fuel, also removing the front cat or silencer often kills the scavenging because the silencer or cat has been carefully positioned to reflect a pressure wave back down the pipes to arrive at the intake valves to create extra suction as the valves start to open, so again removal of the cat can reduce how much fuel gets into the engine and thus reduce power. Actually reducing backpressure without affecting the tuning will always increase performance and efficiency.

A V-8 with no pipes would be much louder. (Or an old camaro with rusted out pipes)
If he had done more than just touch the throttle then maybe it would have been much louder!

I am getting "This video requires payment to watch. ' for OP's video..

Loudest vehicles here are one of the little Italian sports cars apparently crank out 115 Db but from the factory so its okay, and Ducati or Harley bikes can go over 105 Db too.
But you cant MOD a more silent car to be just as loud,,,,,, so really something need to change if you ask me, cuz rich people being able to buy loud toys and poor / middle class guys have nothing.
Dont get me wrong people should not be allowed to make that much noise, so either they need to make those vehicles less loud or they should be banned from public streets.

If the world was sane by now even petrol cars should be whisper silent.

Back