I installed my dash cam adhesive mount too high up. How can I remove it and reposition it?

manifest

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just noticed that I mounted it too far into the black dot area of my car, so if I tilt my camera up far enough, it includes the black dots in my video. Can somebody tell me how I can remove and reposition that material? Is there any special trick I need to do. It's quite a fresh mount, only has been 10 hours.

you want to have about 40% above the horizon and 60% below for the best results from the auto exposure, how far are you trying to point it up?

You can not reuse it, you can most like scrape the worst of using the plastic pry bar, and the rest or at least even more you can rub off with a thumb and "roll" it off the windscreen.
Last you can use some solvent too, but as you are going to position there again just a little lower ( i did the very same with my first SG camera )

Every Street Guardian dashcam comes with a plastic trim-tool pry bar. You stick it in a corner of the mount and slowly twist until it starts to lift up.

1564706147482.png

you want to have about 40% above the horizon and 60% below for the best results from the auto exposure, how far are you trying to point it up?

I don't know about ratios, but I just wanted it to not show my windshield wipers, or only show a very tiny bit of them.

You can not reuse it, you can most like scrape the worst of using the plastic pry bar, and the rest or at least even more you can rub off with a thumb and "roll" it off the windscreen.
Last you can use some solvent too, but as you are going to position there again just a little lower ( i did the very same with my first SG camera )

not show my windshield wipers or only show a tiny portion of them.

I managed to get it off but if you can't reuse it, what do I do now? Buy another mount? I see some additional sticky stuff in my box, but I haven't looked through what they are all used for TBH. I should have just bought a simplier one wiht suction mounts because I'm the kind of person who finnesses with everything and never gets it right.

Every Street Guardian dashcam comes with a plastic trim-tool pry bar. You stick it in a corner of the mount and slowly twist until it starts to lift up.

View attachment 47689

I was wondering what that did. I did use it to pry it off in about 10 minutes.

I don't know about ratios, but I just wanted it to not show my windshield wipers, or only show a very tiny bit of them.
unless you're shooting travel videos better to aim the camera correctly for best results, in most vehicles you'll end up with a couple of inches of your dashboard in view but a better end result

SG always have a spare sticky pad in the box, both for the camera and the GPS antenna, if you run out just hit up Jon that run SG in the states and he will have a few spares going out to you..
The plastic mount itself you can of course reuse the camera should also come with 2 of them, a thick one and a thin one, i have done this several times donating my old cameras to people i care about, but the sticky pad thats a 1 shot deal.

Regarding aim it is a bit silly to have parts of your dashboard in the frame, as nothing happen there, but you could also say the same about what extra sky you will have in frame if you aim dashcam too high.
As jokiin say it is a matter of the light metering of the camera, so if it is aimed too high it will adjust its settings for the lots of bright sky, and then you can have scenarios where the road level can be underexposed, and really it is what go on at / on the road that are of interest for a dashcam.

As jokiin say it is a matter of the light metering of the camera, so if it is aimed too high it will adjust its settings for the lots of bright sky, and then you can have scenarios where the road level can be underexposed, and really it is what go on at / on the road that are of interest for a dashcam.
^^^This is the key factor. If the camera is set up so it compromises the recording quality of the most important stuff then it's set up wrong.

Back