I really need some help in deciding on the right cameras.

Lola

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119
I just don't have the experience necessary to pick the right cameras and need the help of you guys that are really in the know. I have a 2001 Black Toyota Tacoma 2 door, Extended cab, totally stock, electric doors and windows.
This has become an extreme necessity for me because of people hitting me in the rear of my truck, another good hit and I might very well be in a wheel chair the rest of my life or worse!!

What I need or want, budget is 2 to $300.00 plus.

Cams I can depend on with a excellent/really good manufacture warranty. 3M stick pads to install the cams, I do NOT want suction cups, there are to many stories about them falling off!! All necessary wiring and accessories or place to get quality parts needed.
2 channel, or 2 separate cam connected together to run off the cars battery one for the dash and one for the rear, By far the rear camera is the most important to me as this is where I keep getting hit, but I would like the dash cam to be of excellent quality also. Both to be easy to service, take off mount and/or remove storage card

If I need an internal battery for some reason I want "capacitor's", to withstand the heat better.
Excellent quality video or as good as I can get, on a loop with 32 GB or hopefully larger storage that is easy to find. That I can take out, put in a formatted spare, put the original one in my computer and store files or reformat for the next exchange into the cam's.

I really don't care if they have a parking mode I don't need it, if sound/voice record I need a way to disable it. Not legal in my state. Jerks in my state want to protect the criminals!

I really don't want anything from China because of their reputation for producing junk or it taking a month or more to send something back for service.

I sure hope you guys can help me, every thing I said above is from reading on the Internet for the last few days day and night. NO practical experience!
If you see something I said that's wrong pleas tell me. Anyone wanting to make any suggestions whatever please don't hesitate to expound to your hearts content.

I'm editing this at 5.55 est to add that having "WDR" would really be great because of the enhancement of images/video.

Last edited:
China is okay, but you will want to stay with brands that work with the high standards and not the firms that's just freewheeling doing their own stuff.
And offcourse go for a local seller, cuz as you say doing a RMA on the other side of the world is a PITA.

Right now the Lukas / qvia seem to make the best dual channel systems, but they are made as the S Koreans like them, and that is with a not small front unit, and if some more bling can be added to make the camera be seen that's no bad for them.

Most cameras have so you can mute the microphone, so audio recording is not really a issue, normally i mute my own microphone too on the count of my foul mouth and me uploading dumbasses to youtube.
And also i tend to speak english so that would just confuse the hell out of my fellow Danes watching my youtube uploads.

Jon that have pier28 in Nevada is part of the LUKAS US branch, and he also carry the SG brand that is the dashcam brand with the best customer care around, O and they also do good cameras.

I was hoping that I could get some ideas on which camera's to get relative to my needs. but thanks for your reply KamKar1. Hopefully some more people will join in with recommendations.

Lola,
Dash riposki brings up a good question.
We need a little more detail about this vehicle. Does your truck have an accessory cap mounted over the truck bed?
If yes, then is there a dark tinted window in the cap back door, or is the rear window clear?
Also it makes some difference whether this rear cam is mounted to view from the rear window directly behind your seat (no cap over bed), or mounted much further back near the tailgate.

Truck Cap.jpg
Assuming there is no cap, then if the dashcam is inside your cab, you will need a narrow view angle to capture best detail directly behind the vehicle. When the mad crasher car is close, your tailgate will block their license plate. You will need to get the best image while they are a couple car lengths away. A wide angle lens gets broad coverage, but sacrifices the detail of the middle viewing area.

If your cab or cap has a dark tinted rear window, then you have a loss in the ease of getting good details. At night there will be almost nothing. There is an alternative, but it has limitations too. You could mount an external lens outside the back area. Pick the best place protected from the winter weather. With the lense being outside, it has the disadvantage of needing to be cleaned often. (probably each day).

Tell us more about your truck and then we can be more helpful on which dashcams we suggest.

For an example, look at post by "flank", page 38 in forum thread Where did you mount the camera.
He has a cam mounted to the rear cap window and it seems to get a good daytime image. Not sure how dark his window tint is.

Lola,
Dash riposki brings up a good question.
We need a little more detail about this vehicle. Does your truck have an accessory cap mounted over the truck bed?
If yes, then is there a dark tinted window in the cap back door, or is the rear window clear?
Also it makes some difference whether this rear cam is mounted to view from the rear window directly behind your seat (no cap over bed), or mounted much further back near the tailgate.

View attachment 24742
Assuming there is no cap, then if the dashcam is inside your cab, you will need a narrow view angle to capture best detail directly behind the vehicle. When the mad crasher car is close, your tailgate will block their license plate. You will need to get the best image while they are a couple car lengths away. A wide angle lens gets broad coverage, but sacrifices the detail of the middle viewing area.

If your cab or cap has a dark tinted rear window, then you have a loss in the ease of getting good details. At night there will be almost nothing. There is an alternative, but it has limitations too. You could mount an external lens outside the back area. Pick the best place protected from the winter weather. With the lense being outside, it has the disadvantage of needing to be cleaned often. (probably each day).

Tell us more about your truck and then we can be more helpful on which dashcams we suggest.

Sorry Albertson, I should have realized you needed that Information. Thanks for the reply and help.
It has cap but it's coming off. It is an extended cab. Rear window is not tinted. From the rear window to the tail gate it is approximately 6 feet with black bed liner.
I realize what you say about the wide lens (narrow lens would be better) but all good cameras have wide lens don't they?

My intention at this point is to mount the rear camera inside the truck flat/slightly tilted downward against the rear window. One good thing about the wide angle lens is it will catch other traffic and possible escape action of hit and run.

I would like you to know I have been hit in the rear a few times badly. I have to live with pain from spine damage and neck/shoulder. That's why I'm going to fight back against these lousy drivers. You should hear them lie in court!!!!!

Any more information you are anyone needs just ask.

I've been reading about the Lucas and Street Guardian, they sound interesting but I really don't know.

Street Guardian has good product support, and it doesn't hurt to message Pier28 to see what he suggests.

Last edited:
I hope you guys aren't going to abandon me at this point, if there is more information anyone needs just ask. I looked at the Lucas LK-7900 on Amazon but people seem to have some problems with it in the reviews plus it is very expensive with all options.
So far it looks like the Street guard SG-9665GC V2 for the rear camera unless you guys see something else as being a better idea. Still don't know on the front cam.

Edit @5:21 Jul 23, 2016. Need to rephrase the last sentence. I don't know whether to use the SG as the front or rear cam!
The rear is very important to me (both actually), I was thinking about a "Barrel" type round and 2 or 3 inches long or so with Capacitor, great video quality, and reliability (that's for you guys to tell me)
This is what most people will see since they are in back looking at you so it would probably be easier to conceal, and the average person sees Square as camera and short tube as "what is that", understand? Just food for thought, because I'll be following what you say. Up till now I have been discounting the barrel type for NO operant reason and I need to stop that.

One question, a lot of the dash cam's seem to fail ! What in your opinion/experience fails the most?
I ask this because I basically just want to have the cam's run when I'm driving, not so much interested in things happening when I'm parked or "voice" it's illegal in Maryland, we ar infringing on those poor soles rights!!!!!!! Yes, I did say what you thought I said!

Last edited:
I hope you guys aren't going to abandon me at this point, if there is more information anyone needs just ask. I looked at the Lucas LK-7900 on Amazon but people seem to have some problems with it in the reviews plus it is very expensive with all options
So far it looks like the Street guard SG-9665GC V2 for the rear camera unless you guys see something else as being a better idea. Still don't know on the front cam.
You will not be abandoned as most here are straight up guys & gals just trying to help. The SG9665GC in my opinion is one of the best around. Nothing is perfect, but with the outstanding service and support it certainly stands out as the best around. @Pier28 would be your seller in the US and you can count on him for great after sale service and support.

Lola,
Sorry for the long comment/opinion.
Do not trust the Amazon reviews. There is a mixture of honest and fake reviews posted there. There is a trend for some people to "blackmail" sellers, posting bad reviews as punishment for not hiring them to write fake positive reviews. Pier28 (Jon) can give you trustworthy recommendations or comparison to brands/models he represents. He has been honest and accurate to me. There are some other good distributors. The great thing about this forum is there are so many users providing their experience and covering so many makes & models. This is much more valuable that the manufactures specs or internet retailers review log. The user comments on this forum are valuable. I hope some others in this forum will add their recommendations.

The forum manager has summarised good guidelines in the "Best Dash Cams" page.

I am going to comment about the lens angle, due to your application and concern for evidence. There are many other considerations, such as placement where the window is clean, etc.

My family has 3 vehicles with dashcams. Two vehicles use front & rear SG model SGcCX12RC. These 4 cams continue to work great over last 1.5 years. Very reliable and they are worked hard (always on, 24/7 in motion detect). These have lens "Field Of View" 135 degree diagonal, which I think is better (less fish-eye image distortion) than the typical cam 150 - 170. I like the small lens housing and separate control box. I also have a vehicle with Panorama 2. This is also a very reliable cam 2-3 years of use. Older model and lower price. Not sure if this model is still available.

The Mobus is very popular and has some lense options to provide a very narrow view if you want that.
The JooVuu X is small like the Mobus. It has a 155 degree view angle.

Based on your comment regarding it being important to have good video evidence, and having a truck, I suggest you consider three cams. One for the front. One inside the cab for the rear. One outside near rear bumper/tailgate. Consider adding the rear/outside cam a few months after you have experience with the two that are inside the cab. You may find the experience with first two causes you to evolve what is vital about the 3rd cam and whether it is really needed or not. The reason I suggest a 3rd cam is you do not get a second chance to capture the video evidence, and a second cam can be mounted to show a different angle of view to capture details not seen in the cab mounted rear cam. Just be sure it is weather tolerant.

If this was my situation, I would buy 2 of either SGcCX12RC or SG9665GC for inside the cab. Both are 135 degree lens. The Mobus with the narrow lens would be another good choice for the rear facing cam.
Then buy one of SGZCX12RC with accessory exterior lense and very long cable (SG89FF) to place near rear of truck. This has the wide lens (170 degree) and many mounting options. Possibly a motorcycle cam would work.

In general, it is worth it to spend more to get a good cam and from a good distributor. This solves the rare problem of a bad cam from a good brand. You also get good advice.

Remember to plan for the fuse tap. Pier28 has a good kit. If you later decide to run the motion detect, then add the battery protect adapter.
The memory card will last a while, but it is a consumable. Only buy one that is recommended for that cam. You may need to format the card 1-3 times per month, depending on how healthy the memory card is. They are worked hard in dashcam use, and eventually wear out.

Edit to correct the SGZCX12RC model number.

Last edited:
Lola,
Sorry for the long comment/opinion.
Do not trust the Amazon reviews. There is a mixture of honest and fake reviews posted there. There is a trend for some people to "blackmail" sellers, posting bad reviews as punishment for not hiring them to write fake positive reviews. Pier28 (Jon) can give you trustworthy recommendations or comparison to brands/models he represents. He has been honest and accurate to me. There are some other good distributors. The great thing about this forum is there are so many users providing their experience and covering so many makes & models. This is much more valuable that the manufactures specs or internet retailers review log. The user comments on this forum are valuable. I hope some others in this forum will add their recommendations.

The forum manager has summarised good guidelines in the "Best Dash Cams" page.

I am going to comment about the lens angle, due to your application and concern for evidence. There are many other considerations, such as placement where the window is clean, etc.

My family has 3 vehicles with dashcams. Two vehicles use front & rear SG model SGcCX12RC. These 4 cams continue to work great over last 1.5 years. Very reliable and they are worked hard (always on, 24/7 in motion detect). These have lens "Field Of View" 135 degree diagonal, which I think is better (less fish-eye image distortion) than the typical cam 150 - 170. I like the small lens housing and separate control box. I also have a vehicle with Panorama 2. This is also a very reliable cam 2-3 years of use. Older model and lower price. Not sure if this model is still available.

The Mobus is very popular and has some lense options to provide a very narrow view if you want that.
The JooVuu X is small like the Mobus. It has a 155 degree view angle.

Based on your comment regarding it being important to have good video evidence, and having a truck, I suggest you consider three cams. One for the front. One inside the cab for the rear. One outside near rear bumper/tailgate. Consider adding the rear/outside cam a few months after you have experience with the two that are inside the cab. You may find the experience with first two causes you to evolve what is vital about the 3rd cam and whether is is really needed or not. The reason I suggest a 3rd cam is you do not get a second chance to capture the video evidence, and a second cam can be mounted to show a different angle of view to capture details not seen in the cab mounted rear cam. Just be sure it is weather tolerant.

If this was my situation, I would buy 2 of either SGcCX12RC or SG9665GC for inside the cab. Both are 135 degree lens. The Mobus with the narrow lens would be another good choice for the rear facing cam.
Then buy one of SGcCX12RC with accessory exterior lense and very long cable (SG89FF) to place near rear of truck. This has the wide lens (170 degree) and many mounting options. Possibly a motorcycle cam would work.

In general, it is worth it to spend more to get a good cam and from a good distributor. This solves the rare problem of a bad cam from a good brand. You also get good advice.

Remember to plan for the fuse tap. Pier28 has a good kit. If you later decide to run the motion detect, then add the battery protect adapter.
The memory card will last a while, but it is a consumable. Only buy one that is recommended for that cam. You may need to format the card 1-3 times per month, depending on how healthy the memory card is. They are worked hard in dashcam use, and eventually wear out.

Thanks for the reply Albertson. I see what you are saying and it makes sense to me. I couldn't find the SGc12RC camera but I did find the SGZC12RC, is this (SGZC12RC) what you were referring to? They both seem to be the same price ( SGZC12RC and SG9665GC) so which one is better in your opinion?

I looked at the Mobus camera and searched on it. There was a comment about the lens being discontinued for some reason and the new lens not being as good as the old. So I just wrote it off at the time.

Good thing you said something about the memory card I was going to buy 2 per camera. Both cameras are rated for cards up to 200GB (I think) is there any advantage to getting a bigger card? Since they "write over" after the end I can't see an advantage but I don't know.
As for the wiring I was thinking of getting a harness like the Vico Power Plus but this is the first time I have brought that up. What's your opinion? I sure don't want to be stuck out around here with a dead battery.

Last edited:
If you only want to record an incident that happened in the recent past 32GB is plenty (5 hours) you would only need a larger card if you want to record epic road trip's and capture a complete days worth of footage to review later

Vico Power-Plus is the easiest to setup with the most options. It's my current favorite battery discharge prevention device. (Used in my own vehicles)

Both RC and GC have better night performance.

You can't go wrong with SG9665GC. Their support is great. Pier 28 or Jokin are always on this forum to help. If you can afford SG, go for it. You won't regret it. I've tried many dashcam and SG is awsome.

If you only want to record an incident that happened in the recent past 32GB is plenty (5 hours) you would only need a larger card if you want to record epic road trip's and capture a complete days worth of footage to review later

Vico Power-Plus is the easiest to setup with the most options. It's my current favorite battery discharge prevention device. (Used in my own vehicles)

Both RC and GC have better night performance.

Thank you for the reply Pier28, I just saw the SGCZ 12R (pictures) at Amazon and was a little confused. There were 2 pieces the barrel/lens section with 3M tape mount and another small object about 3 x 3 inches (estimate). What is the 2nd 3 x 3" object for, does the barrel section mount to it and then to the glass?

I'm going to your web site now to take a look.

Thank you for the reply Pier28, I just saw the SGCZ 12R (pictures) at Amazon and was a little confused. There were 2 pieces the barrel/lens section with 3M tape mount and another small object about 3 x 3 inches (estimate). What is the 2nd 3 x 3" object for, does the barrel section mount to it and then to the glass?

I'm going to your web site now to take a look.

I'm not sure I understand your question. The SGZC12RC is a two part system. The tiny "remote camera" (aka RC) is attached to the glass via 3M, out the side the long wire is connected to the main unit. Main unit has the touch screen, memory card, CPU inside.

@Lola

Whatever you're using for your decision making process on what to buy, I don't get the sense you're including one the most valuable assets out there. If a picture can say a thousand words, then a video would have to say a million, at least. Whatever camera you're curious about, simply type it into YouTube search (or this forum's reviews section) and you'll most likely find some video that would answer a lot of your questions far better than reading or just looking at pictures, like this for example:

Last edited:
Back