I screwed up

Wow, you were very lucky and that was a very close call. I have to admit that wet roads and being dark outside makes not the safest driver in night, I am quite blinded by the reflections on the road making it hard for me to see which lane I am in. I hate driving in the rain as well.

That didn't look like that was your fault, and your recovery was pretty good - keep it smooth, small moves without overcorrecting, and stay in the throttle. Only thing that struck me as odd was how long it took to get back in the right lane.
Partly was my fault for not getting some grip from the snow on the sides of the lane when I noticed the tires nearly losing grip at around 0:34, should of either slow down a bit or find better grip.

The grip also was the reason for staying in the overtaking lane long enough the steep hill was about to end.

i haven't driven in enough snow/ice to know... does left-foot-braking (while still giving it some throttle) help stabilize the car in a minor skid on snow/ice? i left-foot-brake when racing, and it's definitely an important part of my driving style in terms of keeping the car stable through various track elements. the few times i've been skidding on snow/ice, i was able to recover using only throttle and steering - it didn't occur to me to use the brakes at all until after i had the car pointed the right way again. that's probably my racing instincts though - i know better than to come off the throttle in a skid.

i haven't driven in enough snow/ice to know... does left-foot-braking (while still giving it some throttle) help stabilize the car in a minor skid on snow/ice? i left-foot-brake when racing, and it's definitely an important part of my driving style in terms of keeping the car stable through various track elements. the few times i've been skidding on snow/ice, i was able to recover using only throttle and steering - it didn't occur to me to use the brakes at all until after i had the car pointed the right way again. that's probably my racing instincts though - i know better than to come off the throttle in a skid.
I don't know about that since I have never tried to do that.

What I did on the video was not to touch either gas or brake until I was going straight again (see the speed posted in the video), as far as I know braking while you have no grip at all should end in a disaster but haven't tried that either.

Braking while skidding in ice could probably throw the car off. Usually throttle in a FWD car can get you in the right position to stabilize, but only if you're going in a relatively slow speed and you feel that not using it would cause you to spin out.

Well this was a bit embarrassing, even if it wasn't dramatic...

A bit of a brain fart there, but I doubt I was the first to take the road sign too literally.

Well this was a bit embarrassing, even if it wasn't dramatic...

A bit of a brain fart there, but I doubt I was the first to take the road sign too literally.
Lol,That does look like it would be too easy to do.

Back