I think I fried my Mobius (12V instead of 5V)

zohardv

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi all,
This is my first post here.

Today I tried connection my Mobius to my car Cigarette lighter.
I inadvertently used a 12V line instead of a 5V line and plugged 12V into the camera.
I could immediately smell burning plastic and smoke came out of the cam's USB jack. I unplugged it, it smelled burnt and felt warm for about 30 minutes afterwards.
Needless to say its not working right now and won't respond at all.

I know its a long-shot, but perhaps there is a way to fix it?

Thanks,
Zohar

electronics run on smoke, once the smoke comes out they never run again ;)

not sure how you managed to send 12v over USB but I think you're up for a new one unfortunately

Hi all,

I inadvertently used a 12V line instead of a 5V line and plugged 12V into the camera.
I could immediately smell burning plastic and smoke came out of the cam's USB jack. I unplugged it, it smelled burnt and felt warm for about 30 minutes afterwards.

Thanks,
Zohar

Sorry about your mishap, you're lucky there was no fire. Perhaps you could tell us how this happened as something doesn't sound quite right.

Hi all,

Thanks,
Zohar
As sad as it is, there is no hope of repair. Besides a couple of diodes and the charging IC, which are dead easy to replace, the high voltage has more than likely damaged the DRAM and the DSP as well as one or two other components. With a bit of luck the lens module and battery will have survived - keep those for spares.

If it's any consolation, you're not the first to do this with a Mobius, and you won't be the last.

Personally, I think it should be supplied with a brief information sheet that mentions basic things like voltage requirements, micro sd card orientation, etc ... I bet some people have stuffed the card in upside down!

Sorry about your mishap, you're lucky there was no fire. Perhaps you could tell us how this happened as something doesn't sound quite right.
@zohardv could you please share how this was possible? Most adapters step down the voltage. Hopefully we can learn and not make a similar mistake. I have heard of cameras shorting out from other reasons

Thanks guys for you replies. I've already figured out that its probably dead. I went and ordered a new one (there goes 70$).

For those who asked how this had happen - fairly easy - I got rid of my old (and crappy) dashcam, which came with an ignition switch adapter. That one used to run on 12VDC and I had all the wires running to the spot where it used to be mounted, and where I had mounted the Mobius. I just thought - Why not using that same wires to juice my Mobius. (Although the wire that came with it was labeled "5VDC"). The rest is history :(

Sorry to hear that you fried it. About the only thing you could do is replace the whole camera. Bummer. At least it was NOT a $300 camera you fried.

The camera isn't warped or deformed. It looks normal from the outside.

While were on the subject - All the the power supplies in my car are 12VDC. How can I get 5VDC for the Mobius? Can I build an adapter circuit (or better yet, buy one)?

The camera isn't warped or deformed. It looks normal from the outside.

While were on the subject - All the the power supplies in my car are 12VDC. How can I get 5VDC for the Mobius? Can I build an adapter circuit (or better yet, buy one)?
You can buy this https://www.ebay.com/itm/180942478506 or similar. Just make sure it at least puts out 1000mA or 1amp because the Mobius needs it. Anything less may damage it.

Of course, you will need the associated USB to mini USB cable to go with it such as this 3 meter one from the same vendor linked by @GJHS

cable.jpg

Thank you guys for all the help.
I like my electronics hidden inside the dashboard, I hate having cables running around the cabin.
I found an old Lighter-to-USB adapter which I'm going to bash and tap right into the appropriate fuse. Be sure I'm going to double check the voltage with a meter this time :rolleyes:

Thank you guys for all the help.
I like my electronics hidden inside the dashboard, I hate having cables running around the cabin.
I found an old Lighter-to-USB adapter which I'm going to bash and tap right into the appropriate fuse. Be sure I'm going to double check the voltage with a meter this time :rolleyes:
Also remember it need to output at least 1000mA or it will damage the Mobius. A lot of cheap ones only output 500mA

How come a 500ma will damage the camera if it needs 1000ma? wont it just charge slower or not charge at all?

Back