I think my K2 just paid for itself

DesertBike

Reaction score
Country
United States
A week ago I ran over something on the highway. I never saw what it was, never had a chance to avoid it, just BUMP!

Pulled over at the next safe place. No obvious damage, somehow.

Rode the rest of the way home.

Hours later, reviewing dashcam footage revealed that I had run over something dropped by some trucks that were hauling cargo in an irresponsible way. No tailgate, no cover, no means of securing their load other than its own weight. On an interstate highway, at 75 mph.

That explains the piece of stuff I saw a semi truck swerve to avoid.

DIdn't ride all week, but when I went out Saturday, I found my front rim was bent & wasn't holding air.

Good news, the company's info was on one of the trucks. Couldn't read it in front cam video due to bug splats, but it was clear on the rear cam.

Timeline of events that I've worked out, with the help of the K2 video:

-I ran over an item that had fallen off a truck. Never saw it, so no chance to avoid.

-Pulled over to have a look for any damage. Didn't see anything, tire seemed fine.

-Back on the highway. Saw a semi swerve to avoid debris.

-Passed a couple of trucks with unsecured load, realized the thing I saw the semi swerve to keep from running over, must have come from one of the trucks.

-Hours later at home, played video at 1/2 speed, realized I had run over something that had also fallen off one of the trucks.

-Almost a week later, went to ride & found my front tire pressure was very low, and rim was bent (which is why it was leaking).

-Reviewed video again. Could read identifying info on one of the trucks. Gotcha.

Getting insurance involved, probably.

I've worked for an insurance company before and getting road hazard with an item falling off a work truck is nearly impossible to confirm which vehicle the item actual came from. If anything your insurance company will write it off as a loss and you'll have to pay your deductible... unless the dash cam actually has the item clearly falling off the truck in the video...the insurance company won't be able to go after any other company to recoup paid claim costs...

We'll see. It's very easy to confirm where the item came from. Without going into too much detail let's just say it's obvious on video that none of the other vehicles on the road could possibly have been the source of the item.

It took a while, but I finally got the responsible party to pay up.

I'm not going to get into the details, but I can say I've been made whole, and then some.

There's no way would I have even known who was responsible, without the dashcam.

Back