I was going to get a Blendmount for my DR900S-2CH, but ended up doing this instead....

Rearview mirrors pick up vibrations and it will get worse if you extend it. I'd mount it to the windshield.

Can you give us some cam vids from rough roads and bumps? Got to agree on Blendmount being pricey :eek: but it's there for the non-DIY types.

Having the lens as close to the glass as possible isn't always necessary; that will vary by car, dash type and color, windshield tint and angle, CFPL usage, and more. Worth trying if you're not getting the vid quality you want but I've found distant mounting works just as well for me and it keeps the cam out of the sun too ;)

Phil

Here is an unedited 1 minute from this morning's coffee run. It will be in 4K when youtube finishes processing it... which could be more than an hour. Posting now so I don't forget. The second half of the video is the roughest section. Keep in mind, I am driving a lowered Golf R with the suspension in race mode... so it's no cushy ride, tbh. ;-)

1594035778383.png

bit of movement there but not a lot, probably less than you would get with a typical suction mounted camera
Yes, less than most suction cups, and not very visible, but putting my cursor on one of the spots on the windscreen, there is more than enough movement for motion blur (camera shake) to blur the pixels.

More solid than I'd expected- thanks!

Phil

Because of how the camera hangs right below the mirror cover, I could actually put a small square of hook and loop or VHB on the bottom of that cover and raise the camera a couple of mm to attach to it. It would be there to hold the weight of the camera, but only to stabilize it. I wonder if it will make a difference.

1594037619970.png

Because of how the camera hangs right below the mirror cover, I could actually put a small square of hook and loop or VHB on the bottom of that cover and raise the camera a couple of mm to attach to it. It would be there to hold the weight of the camera, but only to stabilize it. I wonder if it will make a difference.

View attachment 52523
It would certainly help more than hurt. The only issue I see with that would be if it were necessary to adjust the mirror - having 2 mounting points would make the mirror and camera both kind of 'unmovable objects'.

Might not work for everyone but given he's the only one who drives the car being fixed in position is likely no problem for him

It would certainly help more than hurt. The only issue I see with that would be if it were necessary to adjust the mirror - having 2 mounting points would make the mirror and camera both kind of 'unmovable objects'.

Once my mirror is set, I rarely touch it again, unless I make a major seat adjustment. That is why I was thinking velcro so I can just separate, make any adjustments and then push it back into place.

View attachment 52523
curious, couldnt you just mount the camera to this area, and eliminate the ball joint thingy all together?

curious, couldnt you just mount the camera to this area, and eliminate the ball joint thingy all together?
Not really... It's just a plastic cover that isn't nearly as stable as the rearview mirror itself. It's just a clamshell that snaps over the actual hardware. I think it would allow way too much movement if it was the only source of connection.

Once my mirror is set, I rarely touch it again, unless I make a major seat adjustment. That is why I was thinking velcro so I can just separate, make any adjustments and then push it back into place.

Seems like a good approach to me (y) and you'd end up with a pretty darn secure mounting that way.

Phil

Back