i1000

petepete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In noticing this camera has infra red night time lights....

Has anyone tried parking under an infra security light to see what the quality of night time vision is like when properly lit soley by infra red ?

If under these conditions it were to be as clear as my motorhome revearse camera in pitch black, itwould open up endless posibilities using "invisible to the naked eye" infra red lights

All dash cams have IR cut filters installed between the sensor and the lens. Otherwise you would not see normal color balance in your videos. If you removed the IR-cut filter (not especially easy to do on most cams) the camera would be sensitive to artificial IR illumination at night (to one degree or another). All infra-red equipped fixed CCTV cameras have the same IR-cut filters but the filter is mechanically removed from the light path at night after a photo-diode detects nightfall. Some newer technology CCTV cams do the same thing electronically instead of mechanically.

Last edited:
Glad i asked, i hadnt a clue about ir filters !!

And manufactures claim ir night vision as a selling point ??? !!!

Next question - any reason i couldnt wire a cctv camera output signal into the camera ??

Actually, when I get a little time one of these days I plan to experiment with installing a lens with no IR cut-off filter in an old dash cam and using it under the IR illumination of my CCTV system. I have an area in a dark section of my driveway that has separate IR illumination with no cameras that would be perfect for testing this.

CCTV cameras and dash cams are two different animals so your idea petepete won't work.

I have some experience removing IR filters from things, for instance doint it on a camcorder dont give you the same look as a dedicated CCTV camera.
I think i have seen similar in some ghost hunting programmes, and there its called a full spectrum camera.

The footage have this purple hue to it, and the sensors ( confirmed with my modified G1w ) is by no means as sensetive as in a regular cctv camers ( comparing my modified G1w to a 700 TVL bord camers with sony effio e chipset )

If you want to say capture a room just illuminate with IR light its no problem, but my G1W with a 4 X zoom lens fitted cant even see the IR light on my car parked in the back of my appartment building ( 20-25 M distance )
And on my IP camera allso using a 4 x zoom lens the car is "flooded" in IR light ( using a single 10 W IR ermitter that just illuminate my car and the grund around it )

But my camcorder with the ir filter removed and the same IR light pointed up at the sealing and with maximun spread on the light just flood a 6 x 6 M room.
Same camcorder pointed at my illuminated car see just darkness in spite of the 10 W IR lamp.

I will do a little demorecordings in a hour or so, camcorder G1W and so on chargin atm.

Last edited:
Here you go.
A ir modified Toshiba camcorder ( 8 mpix 3-4 years old ) and then after that my G1W with a 15 mm IR pass pinhole lens.

No doubt the G1W is better with IR, but its still no Dedicated CCTV camera :D

Back