IATF certification for dashcam reliability

Vortex Radar

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've been researching dashcam reliability lately and in one of the YouTube comments, someone mentioned certification to IATF standards. Is anyone familiar with this? Sounds like it's a way to set industry standards for quality management.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 10.11.09 AM.png

Vugera has some information about this on their website.

I didn't find anything Googling about Thinkware though.

Vugera mentioned IATF 16949:2016 which is specifically for the automotive industry and so I asked ChatGPT about it to learn more. Here's what it told me:

IATF 16949:2016 is indeed an international standard for Quality Management Systems in the automotive industry. While not specifically designed for dashcams, it could be applicable to dashcam manufacturers as they are part of the automotive supply chain. This certification is aimed at improving product quality and reliability, eliminating defects and reducing variations and waste in the supply chain.

Manufacturers following the IATF 16949:2016 guidelines will have a quality management system in place that encompasses the entire process, from design and development, to production, installation, and service of automotive-related products, which would include dashcams.

To comply with IATF 16949:2016, dashcam manufacturers would need to ensure:

1. Design and Development: Manufacturers must rigorously test new designs under various conditions (temperature, humidity, vibration, etc.) and ensure that their products meet or exceed performance specifications.
  2. Production Process: The production process must be well-defined, controlled, and consistent to ensure that every product that comes off the line meets the established quality standards.
  3. Customer Satisfaction: Manufacturers need to establish a process for gathering and responding to customer feedback and must also have a system in place for managing product recalls or other issues.
  4. Continuous Improvement: Manufacturers are expected to continuously monitor and improve their processes to reduce waste and improve quality.
Products from manufacturers that adhere to IATF 16949:2016 are typically of higher quality compared to those that do not follow these guidelines. This is because of the rigorous testing and continuous improvement that are inherent in the IATF 16949:2016 standard.

To determine if a particular dashcam model has been manufactured under IATF 16949:2016 standards, you can check the product specifications or the manufacturer's website. In many cases, manufacturers who have earned this certification will highlight it in their marketing materials because it can be a significant selling point.

Apart from IATF 16949:2016, other common quality control standards include ISO 9001 (a general quality management standard) and ISO/TS 22163 (a standard specifically for railway applications). Additionally, manufacturers may also conduct their own internal quality control and assurance procedures, which could include additional reliability tests or tighter production controls.

Finally, to ensure that video footage is reliably recorded and saved, manufacturers need to test their dashcams with various memory cards, in different recording modes, and under a range of conditions. This should include testing the device's ability to manage memory (i.e., overwrite old footage when the memory card is full), its resistance to corruption or data loss, and its performance when transferring data to other devices. The manufacturer should also ensure that the dashcam’s software is stable and regularly updated to fix bugs or improve functionality.
Sounds like this could be a way to help ensure higher standards of reliability. Is anyone else familiar with this?

I was not aware there would be standards for dashcameras, but automotive sensors, many of which are visual sensors i would assume there was a standard.

I noticed my sisters car that could read roadside signs to warn about overspeed, it also did so at speed & light levels i did not expect to work, even if the lettering on Danish roadside speed signs are by no means small.

I looked into the IATF (International Automotive Task Force).
It does not appear to be a legitimate organization.
Calling @rcg530 to confirm.
-Chuck

I just heard back from Thinkware and they confirmed they are a registered member of IATF and that they follow IATF16949 guidelines.

They're gonna back to me with more detail, but they said it's for stricter manufacturing standards during the production process to minimize injuries and/or hazards (whether it’s a crash, electrical, etc.) and to increase the quality/reliability of the end product.

I just heard back from Thinkware and they confirmed they are a registered member of IATF and that they follow IATF16949 guidelines.

They're gonna back to me with more detail, but they said it's for stricter manufacturing standards during the production process to minimize injuries and/or hazards (whether it’s a crash, electrical, etc.) and to increase the quality/reliability of the end product.
I left the Automotive Industry in 2015, so it looks like I've not kept up with current standards.
I just realized that was 8 years ago.
Oops. lol

IATF 16949:2016 which is specifically for the automotive industry
Yes, it is. As far as I know, a few big manufacturers have this IATF16949 certification, which makes dash cams for famous brands like Nextbase, 70mai, and Vanture...

Not an expert but worked in automotive industry that has ISO and won Deming Prize

Tesla doesnt follow either, https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...tions-the-iatf-16949-and-iso-9001-203551.html
Overview on IATF 16949

In general you certify and assure on QC for all the components that goes into making of the final product. Think like all the chipsets, boards, chassis, sensors all have QC done. The cost of QC can be enormous, so many companies skip and offer cheap products and when it fails, either they give you replacement or they hope you dont nag them. Here is a reddit sales pitch. It gets interesting as there is a firmware update that can totally screw how the dashcam behaves, so not sure how this would be followed in IATF.

Not an expert but worked in automotive industry that has ISO and won Deming Prize

Tesla doesnt follow either, https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...tions-the-iatf-16949-and-iso-9001-203551.html
Overview on IATF 16949

In general you certify and assure on QC for all the components that goes into making of the final product. Think like all the chipsets, boards, chassis, sensors all have QC done. The cost of QC can be enormous, so many companies skip and offer cheap products and when it fails, either they give you replacement or they hope you dont nag them. Here is a reddit sales pitch. It gets interesting as there is a firmware update that can totally screw how the dashcam behaves, so not sure how this would be followed in IATF.
I'm familiar with ISO 9001.
I first learned about it in 1995 during company training.
I thought ISO 9001 was the end all be all for maintaining standards.

What I want to know about IATF is;
Who is making money off, or from this organization?
Who is behind it?
Who stared it?
Who has the authority to grant, or deny a manufacturer IATF "certified" or "compliant"?
The reason I first said IATF "appears" to not be a legitimate organization is because when I started googling their headquarters, and field offices around the globe, I found their addresees.
I put those addresses into google maps, and more than one appeared to be vacant business buildings in commercial areas. lol
-Chuck

I thought ISO 9001 was the end all be all for maintaining standards.

I'm sure you have realised buy now that the only thing that is a true standard is the word "Standard" never changes and always means the same thing unlike all the things that use the word.

A variation to a standard is no longer THE standard!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Dash Cam Discussion 0
Back