IDEA: Install Dashcam in the housing of Nightview-Camera

Easy to do if you use camera that has separate lense module, like mobius and at least some models of g90.
With extension cable you can istall lense where it should be, only challenge is cooling for camera chip, and of course memory card place.
Easy solution is to use lense extension cable, but attach camera outside of that housing.

Attachments

• likeso.jpg
    likeso.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 36
That would be the sweet spot, only other than allready mentioned problem i can see is you might have some of the housing in the footage too with the ultra wide angle dashcams use.

The lens on my SG9665GX is pretty close to the windscreen and mounted on top and dead center of my windscreen, but still i have the bottom 10-20 CM of my A pillars in the frame, and i allso have the forward 10-15 CM of my dashbord in the bottom of the frame too. ( suzuki splash )
So with a wide angle lens and even if you install it as far forward as you can, there might still be issues.

To test if and what all i can think off is take the housing apart and then try and hold up a action camera in the place you have in mind, but here you cant go with a gopro shaped camera, you will have to use some form of bullet shaped actioncamera or the little mobius action/dash camera that do have a 20 Cm lens extension kit.

If you buy a mobius to test with, i can say it make a exelent rear camera, and allso a side camera.
Its not the best night performer any more but it do allright, and if you recycle it as rear or side camera it will be "useless" at night anyeay as there is no light in those places when you drive at night in a dark place.
In a lit town rear and side use will be just fine, but there will offcourse be motion blur in low light footage.
I am so happy with my mobius covering the left side of my car, have it mounted in the frame for the back door ( 5 door car ) just behind the B pillar, so it is easy to get in or out without bumping the camera.
This is the old setup it sit even higher mow using neodyne magnets and a pice of steel folded around the headlined of my car.
m3_big_thumb.jpg

Take captures like this ( 80 + 80 kmh higheay speeds )
Crisp_mobie.jpg

death_in_rear_seat.jpg

Last edited:
Back