Idiot merging into motorway.

I think they should come up with a two second gap for the mergers.
The one that was all over the slower driver was an idiot, the slower driver probably didn't go too much faster since a car was tailgating him, that is actually smart and defensive driving, you shouldn't tailgate no matter how slow the vehicles in front is, you'll be able to overtake once on the motorway.

on the other hand, when someone is going 20 mph up an on-ramp, and you know there isn't much acceleration lane, and traffic on the main lanes is doing at least 60 mph if not 80... the slow driver is way more of a hazard than the people tailgating the slowpoke. more than once i have screamed at people (and laid on the horn) to "F***ING ACCELERATE IN THE ACCELERATION LANE!!!"

i dunno about over there but here they post suggested speeds on many exit ramps, but there aren't any on entrance ramps. but apparently some people think there are and so they go stupidly slow, causing extra problems for people behind them as well as people on the main lanes who now have to slow down for this slowpoke moron.

if you're that scared of going "fast" then you have absolutely no business getting on a highway, and probably ought to have your license revoked.

We have a rule that says merge as the same speed as traffic already on the motorway, few drivers would know of this walking out of the RMS with their new Drivers licence. It is one of the things I hate, since I go on the hwys each day of work.

The lead car was going only few kmh slower and not doing anything wrong, since the truck in front moved over anyway, and the only reason he moved over, was because of the tailgater and not the leading car.

We have a rule that says drivers coming down the sliproad (on ramp) must match motorway speeds, find a gap and slot into it.
No end of people just love to have a go and say how people should move over to let these in - be considerate towards your fellow drivers, it's morally right, the right thing to do blha blah blah.
And yet none consider the fact that the big stuff is doing 50 - 60 mph (I physically can't get above 62, lorries aren't allowed over 56).
So, we check our offside & see a nice big gap, move into it & bang - everyone coming up behind doing 70 (and often more) now has to hit the anchors because everything that wants to go fast is forced into lane 3.
Polite and considerate might help that one driver on the sliproad but it sure as hell pisses off the hundreds who are coming up fast behind you.
I've also seen this where you move over to let someone out - and they sit there, matching your speed. So you cannot pass & have to slow to pull in behind them - and end up going even slower still!

The small car is at no fault.
1st, he was not too slow.
2nd, the idiot tailgater blocked his view so he wasn't sure if the lane was clear or not so had to be more careful and slower.

on the other hand, when someone is going 20 mph up an on-ramp, and you know there isn't much acceleration lane, and traffic on the main lanes is doing at least 60 mph if not 80... the slow driver is way more of a hazard than the people tailgating the slowpoke. more than once i have screamed at people (and laid on the horn) to "F***ING ACCELERATE IN THE ACCELERATION LANE!!!"
Hahahaha! Well it looked like the lead car was barely moving at the rate they were passed, and not just a "few kmh slower". Definitely a few 10's of kmh slower, or at least that's what it looked like.

I have this same problem here on this one particular entrance ramp every single time. I think because it's actually a slightly off-camber turn coming into the main acceleration lane, that people are rightly afraid to take the turn too fast. Except they clear the turn and have this not so long acceleration lane in front of them, and STILL aren't accelerating. They're going 35 tops as the acceleration lane is running out, trying to get into the main lanes with a 55 mph limit. Except that this area is loaded with complete aholes. The nice people clear out of the slow lane for mergers as they should, but the "hyper-aholes" will actually CUT INTO the slow lane to pass everybody else going 80+ sometimes, even though people are trying to merge!! If I had a rear camera in my car, I'd have had a great near-accident video today, good God!!!

If there's space they'll merge over, and I'll use the rest of the acceleration lane to actually go past them. Or I'll really hit the "ahole Bimmer driver button" and merge two lanes over, being considerate and still giving them a lane to merge into, and just put my foot down to get up to speed quickly. I am not going to be the person sitting duck behind someone going 35 as they merge onto the highway with traffic coming up behind me at potentially 80+. Nope. Never again. Road rage story, near accident, police called, etc. They can be that person. 'Backwards switch' for me. I'm gone.

The lead car was doing only a few kph slower than us but slowed down from 8 seconds on, due to the tailgater, if you look at the merging truck in front of the leading car it was 1.5 sec ahead of the lead car but leave it for dead after the 10 sec Mark.
Basically the lead car was keeping a 1.5~2 sec gap from the little truck in front of it, so why are you guys blaming it;)
Tha lens makes the truck very far away from the lead car but to the lead car it wasn't....

New drivers are nervous on motorways over here - I've seen a few actually come to a complete stop as the junction merges because they don't know what to do - that's about as dangerous as it gets as then they have to go from a standstill to motorway speed with no run up at all.

If anything motorways are easier to use than normal roads but the speeds just freak some people out

Rules need to be more clearly defined ..
Entering @ 100kmh ( ? ) motor way @ slow kmh is seriously dangerous
In NZ they will book you for going too slow on the motor way .. And the police will tell you to get off if you are not capable of going fast enough .
Some people are afraid when in traffic or fast moving freeways ( ? )
They either need to stay away or get more driver training .. Nervous Nellie's are just as dangerous or more so than Hoons , they are unpredictable to the extreme .
But never forget , people can only react as quickly as they can think . Not everyone is Einstein ... ( So its important to give them space )

The lead car was doing only a few kph slower than us but slowed down from 8 seconds on, due to the tailgater, if you look at the merging truck in front of the leading car it was 1.5 sec ahead of the lead car but leave it for dead after the 10 sec Mark.
Basically the lead car was keeping a 1.5~2 sec gap from the little truck in front of it, so why are you guys blaming it;)
Tha lens makes the truck very far away from the lead car but to the lead car it wasn't....
Oh, now I see. They were probably confused wondering if they were going to be run off the road or not.

The small car in front was going too slow and waited too long to merge. In the US the correct name for the slip road is the acceleration lane. You are required to match your speed with that of the traffic so that you can seamlessly merge. Find a rear bumper, match speed, pull in behind it. Don't wait until the lane ends to merge because if you don't have space to merge you end up on the shoulder. And there could be a disabled vehicle there. Just like this video.

From the Tennessee driver's handbook : "Good judgment and good timing are necessary to merge smoothly with fast-moving traffic. Upon entering the interstate on-ramp, stay to the right and increase your speed in the acceleration lane/entrance ramp. Use the ramp to reach interstate speed so you can merge smoothly into the travel lane when the way is clear. Be sure to give the proper left turn signal to indicate your need to enter the traffic lane. Drivers already on the interstate should, for their own safety, make allowance for vehicles attempting to enter. It is your responsibility to yield the right-of-way to other cars on the interstate."

Oh, now I see. They were probably confused wondering if they were going to be run off the road or not.
or maybe they were having a minor road rage with the tailgater... "oh you want to tailgate? ok, i'll make it difficult for you too." nevermind they're making it more difficult for themselves in the process. of course, nobody ever said that road ragers were smart...

If we going to go by the handbooks, ours mentions keeping a 3 second following gap, if people abuse it severely then they make merging (etc) harder than it needs to be for other drivers.;)

Here is another.

It is a habit for some it seems.

The first car may have also been cautious, and paying attention to the stopped car on the shoulder ahead, curious if it was going to pull out in front of it, or slowly.

The car in the first video may have been distracted by the car parked on the shoulder of the road, ahead, or overly cautious in case it pulled out into the road in front of him.
(Can't tell if it's an abandoned car or what)
Nothing really happened. The Tailgating SUV even backed off, although straddling two lanes.

Back