Idiot numpty problems with formatting card and installing latest firmware

John Edgington

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have managed to get the WR1 to talk to my Samsung via the built in wi-fi and I can see what it sees on my phone, so far so good.
I have used the in camera format process and it does that almost instantaneously so I assume its formatted, the card is a brand new 64g Lexar.
I have downloaded the update onto my pc as instructed below. I then plug the camera into the PC via the small lead and I am then supposed to copy the file thus
  1. Use Micro SD card formatted by camera or on computer as FAT32
  2. Insert card in camera and connect it to computer using USB cable
  3. Copy just the FWWR1.bin on the root of the card
  4. After FWWR1.bin is copied to the card disconnect the camera from computer
  5. Reconnect the camera to your computer and wait few seconds until the camera is powered on.
However my PC is telling me that there is insufficient room to copy the file onto the card so I must be doing something completely wrong or just being plain stupid. When the camera is connected to my phone by wi-fi in the car the card size is showing as 32kb.

Help please

Have you tried to format your sd card in your PC or in another dashcam ( If you have one another ) ? Or maybe you should try format your sd card in your WR 1 once more and see what is showing then about your sd card size.

Hi. I have formatted the card a couple of times in the camera but it is not telling me that I have anything like 64g available. My windows 10 PC will only format it to exFAT and not FAT32

After formatting sd card in your dashcam it should be showing you about 57-58GB free card space. Do you have any saved/locked videos recorded with your WR 1, if you do try to erase them?
I cant imagine how do you managed to format your sd card in your WR 1, because, I think several members here on DCT could do that in their WR 1's,instead they first format their sd cards in PC or other dashcams.

Last edited:
the card is brand new as is the camera. This is what I see on my PC. The original update unzipped and the open file and the message about storage space.

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Untitled4.jpg
    Untitled4.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 13
Could be something wrong with your sd card or you didnt formatted her good at all. Cant show that less free space if formatted properly. I recommend you try format your card in some other dashcam first.

thank you. If I can find someone who has one but if not I will get another card and try that

Your welcome, if you have another card to try and dont have to buy it is the best solution.

I have looked at the card on my pc and its certainly showing 60+ gbytes so its there somewhere. The formatting on the camera is almost instantaneous, is that normal

I have looked at the card on my pc and its certainly showing 60+ gbytes so its there somewhere. The formatting on the camera is almost instantaneous, is that normal
Dont know really if si that normal, but if your PC shows you 60+GB free space on your card try to update firmware version and try your sd card in your dashcam.

Tried another card and it wouldnt format that either, showing that it had 36kb of space so I reckon that its a duff camera. Back in the box and back to Amazon it goes. Thanks for your help

Tried another card and it wouldnt format that either, showing that it had 36kb of space so I reckon that its a duff camera. Back in the box and back to Amazon it goes. Thanks for your help
No need to send back your dashcam, as I said before, several people here on DCT forum cant format sd cards in their WR 1's, I couldnt do it also, I format my new Toshiba 64GB U3 sdxc card in my Yi dashcam first and then insert it in WR 1 and it work properly. I havent card reader for my PC, so I must figure out how to format it without WR 1 and did that and it worked fine.

I'm curious if that card is a fake or not... Try formatting using SDFormatter or h2testw to do a check/overwrite test to see if it writes successfully on your computer.

Works best if you have a USB card reader. I'm not sure the PC software is designed to let you format it in the cam! Maybe Viofo could chip in here.

I have one of these (mine is actually the HS3 version, but that's discontinued in preference to this, the HC4):

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/k...ard-reader-fcr-hs4-with-usb-cable-wh2-fcr-hs4

With this and my 64gb Lexar card, it was formatted in seconds and went straight into my WR1 on faactory settings and worked flawlessly. Highly recommend a media reader for situations like this.

Back