Idiot randomly stops in middle of traffic

peodi3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had almost got into a collision when this guy randomly decides to stop in the middle of the roadway. I was lucky I had no traffic to the right of me when I braked and swerved into that lane. And then just when I pass him (you can see from the rear camera) he cuts in front of the turning lane. Had I have been in an accident , who would've been at fault?

Seems fairly obvious that you would have been legally at fault, although it was him that did something unusual and it is unexpected actions that create most accidents - doing what he did is definitely not recommended!

So you miss your left turn, but you can just pull in front of the 2 lanes you missed and stop on the crosswalk,,,,,, good to know :rolleyes:

Seems fairly obvious that you would have been legally at fault, although it was him that did something unusual and it is unexpected actions that create most accidents - doing what he did is definitely not recommended!

So how would it be my fault?

State laws vary. But in most states they would be charged for illegal stopping in traffic as well as several violations for cutting off the folks turning. You might have been charged for following too closely or too fast for conditions had you hit them; not sure how that would work combined with the illegal stopping. . Glad you avoided them and are OK- that's what matters most (y) But you might want to add a bit to your following distance so that you always have the ability to stop before colliding without leaving your lane ;) Idiots abound and you've got to allow for them.

Just after leaving work today aching and tired, I was distracted for a moment by a fire truck crossing the intersection just ahead of me at speed. On getting my eyes back where they belonged I saw the truck in front of me stopped and I had to panic brake hard to miss them as I had cars beside me. I wound up with a car's length between us but had they stopped sooner it might not have gone well. It's an easy thing to do on both our parts :rolleyes: Let's both be a little more careful :)

Phil

Just go on to the next intersection down the street, make a 180 there, go back to this intersection and then make a right, you don't even need NAV for that.
It still amaze me people in this day and age are able to panic this much.

Last edited:
Back