If power supply through the camera unit, how about GPS module?

Atos

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I plan to buy a VIOFO A119 V3. I have read that in order to make parking mode work best, use the '3 Wire Hardwire Kit' power supply and it should be connected to the camera, not the GPS module.
My question is, if the power supply is connected through the camera unit, does the GPS module also receive that power? Can it (GPS module) be able to give gps data to be recorded in video during normal driving as well as parking mode?

advice to connect to the camera was for an older model, not something you need to worry about
Do you mean, for this model (VIOFO A119 V3 ), it can be powered through GPS module and parking mode will also working fine, just like being attached to camera unit?

and, should you decide to power 'the camera', as long as it's on the GPS mount then you still get the GPS data.

or at least mine did when I tried it.

and, should you decide to power 'the camera', as long as it's on the GPS mount then you still get the GPS data.

or at least mine did when I tried it.
Oho, also good info. Thanks!

I never really understood the "wire directly to the dashcam and bypass the GPS module" fix. I know it works 'cause I've done it, but...

Let's say an intermittent exists that momentarily opens one of the lines between the GPS module and the dashcam causing the dashcam to reset. When connecting power directly to the dashcam, that same intermittent will momentarily open that same line between the dashcam and the GPS. So why doesn't the GPS module then squawk? :geek:

This applies only to dashcams that have a parking mode controlled via an additional wire when the ignition is turned off. Initially, some Viofo models did not have a parking mode that could be activated when using the HK3 (three-wire hardwire/power kit), and therefore this additional wire and the corresponding contact were not provided in the GPS module (although, of course, end-to-end power supply to the dashcam through the GPS module, as a type of connector, has already been implemented). In later models, this was added, but rumors are still circulating. :)

Last edited:
and therefore this additional wire and the corresponding contact were not provided in the GPS module
Leonauto are you able to answer my question?

How A119 V3 knows that ignition is off? (HK3 knows about it from ignition status and may know from voltage value) There are two possibilities:
1. HK3 send special packet of data to A119 V3 over USB data lines.
2. HK3 give on PIN 4 (ID pin) either ground signal (instead of open circuit) or it put certain voltage value on that pin.

From my point of view those two possibilities are the only one.
Question is what is used by HK3 to inform about ignition status?

Back