If you were able too

chili

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
change your complete dashcam setup at no cost would you still be happy with what you have? if not what would you choose now?

lets take into account

image quality
camera quality build and asthetics
customer after sales service and help
and last the dreaded apps

currently i am with blackvue i have the dr750x plus love the design and quality of the camera, the app tends to work most of the time picture quality is i suppose ok and after sales i have never had to deal with.
am looking to upgrade to 4k but am struggling to justify the upgrade in general, i was waiting for the a229 pro but the thing is just too big and the wrong shape to fit in a merc windscreen ( i have a pocket camera with the smaller dimensions than
the a229 pro and it just did not look right in my windscreen.
So now am thinking the a139 pro its a better shape for my windscreen but i am a liitle concerned about reliability of it.

cheers

...will follow as i also have the same thoughts in regards to the last line written !!

i was waiting for the a229 pro but the thing is just too big and the wrong shape
A229 Pro is not all that big, it mounts against the glass and is wedge shaped, so doesn't take much space, you might be better off cutting a flat piece of card the same shape, maybe with an image of the A229 printed on it, and using that for judgement instead of your pocket camera. Thickness makes a big difference to what looks OK or not. Of course it is not ideal for all cars.

So now am thinking the a139 pro its a better shape for my windscreen but i am a liitle concerned about reliability of it.
Any issues get reported and argued about here, in reality it is pretty good, except for being fussy about memory cards when using 3 channels, and a little fussy when using 2 channels. That seems to be normal with recent memory cards and higher bitrates though.

You could consider the A119 Mini 2. That is smaller, but thicker, uses the latest Starvis 2 sensors with HDR, has enough resolution for UK roads, and pretty good image quality for use as an accident camera. It is only one channel though, so you might want 2, or use your current camera for the rear.

Viofo A119 V3, perfectly happy, never had a single issue in over 4 years.

My only gripe with the A139 ( old version i tested ) is.

1: the with of it, it was much wider than any regular wedge camera i have ( i call A 139 a hybrid shape, a mix between a barrel and wedge system )
2: the lens are offset from the center of the camera, that always annoyed me in any hybrid and cylinder based system i have tested, and when you like me run several cameras on the windscreen, you loose horizontal space on the windscreen.

Old A 229 duo i also tested, absolutely no gripe with that in regard to its size or form factor. actually no gripe with it at all, it was a pleasure to run.

Many of the people in here with A 139 pro, they have preproduction cameras, that is something to keep in mind.
Having tested many Viofo cameras now i never had a problem with any of them, at least as far as their general operation, my A 229 duo, well yes wifi on it stopped working, i think it was also a preproduction unit, the wifi was there alright just not able to connect to it again.
Generally i do not use wifi for anything, so not a loss for me, and not something i would hold against Viofo.

Last edited:
A229 Pro for me, I need a screen so A139 is out. To be honest, the Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro I'm running at the moment is very decent too.

I used to run A119 v3 and that has been solid as anything and very impressed by - the firmware updates, the reliability in two vehicles it's been in.

I'm spoiled by the 4k in the Starvis 2 sensors, hence why I chose what I chose at the top of what I wrote here. I tested 4k action cameras as dashcams all the way back in 2017, and I always wanted 4k video quality.

Now that we're here, I ain't turning back.

4K is indeed nice, but i have yet to try it in starvis 2 flavor.
But i am trying old 4K now, but then as it is now starvis 2 time, well that have tanken quite a bit off the joy of that experience.

I am sampling 2K / 1440p resolution in starvis 2 flavor with the Vantrue N5, and that is quite nice i have to say.

Back