If your dash cam captured a crash between two cars ahead of you, should you volunteer the video?

S

SandraWIhan

I've been wondering about this question for a while now.

Let's say I'm driving down the road, minding my own business. Suddenly, two cars ahead of me crash into each other and the fault is really hard to determine. Is it a bad idea to offer the video from my dash cam to them? Or should I only do so if there's law enforcement on the scene?

I was thinking about asking my friend, but he's now on vacation until after Christmas.

in a situation like that I would probably just offer my services as a witness and leave details with both parties (at least one of them would make a point of giving the details to the police) but not mention the video unless contacted by the police

You can do that, but if you're worried about safety then wait a few minutes to see the situation unfold. If there is aggression, yelling, etc... be sure to stay in your car with windows up and call Police if there is violence. Then submit the video.

In case of a severe crash you should always stick around after calling Police and give them the tape. It's the right thing to do.

Key message is if safety is a big concern for you stay in your car and drive away if someone threatens you.

I'm with Jokiin, offer my contact info to both parties as a witness but not mention to either one about the video recording. You're a witness, period, no need to discuss what facts you have. Just stay you'll recount your recollection of events if the police or insurance company calls. Stay neutral.

I might contact the police separately afterwards offering the video if there's anything the video can add to a serious accident or one where the video captures some high risk driving that contributed to the accident.

I'm with Jokiin, offer my contact info to both parties as a witness but not mention to either one about the video recording. You're a witness, period, no need to discuss what facts you have. Just stay you'll recount your recollection of events if the police or insurance company calls. Stay neutral.

I'd be inclined to think if you offered your details to both parties the one that was most likely in the right would be the one giving those details to the police, it's not always straightforward as to who is at at fault and I've seen situations where drivers assume they're in the right but are not, often because they confuse what they know with what they think they know about the road rules

Just give your email address, not the phone number.
In many countries if you are a witness is possible to spend very much time on roads or courtrooms in some far away city. So many people don't want to help as witness because this will complicate their lives and make them spending money for a thing they don't need. In chinese accident videos almost nobody is coming to the accident scene, maybe just because of this.
So if you still want to help but to not be involved too much, an email and a download link for your video should help them a lot without disturbing you too much.

But if in that accident are victims, people injured, you should offer your full support no matter how much time you will lose in courts. Human live and freedom is the most important thing for humans.

With a wireless dashcam you can transfer the video to both (smartphones) parts involved in the accident and keep your way ahead.

enjoy,
Mtz

But if in that accident are victims, people injured, you should offer your full support no matter how much time you will lose in courts. Human live and freedom is the most important thing for humans.

in Australia it's possible to get in trouble if you don't stay and help if there are serious injuries involved, not something that comes up too often though

Also in Romania is this law. But I never heard about a witness accused because of not helping or leaving the accident scene.
I am nos saying that we are tough nation than others and don't want to help, but the system is forcing us to take that decisions.

Here is a very well known TV star which said his witness story about some accident: he declared at police what happened and signed. He lost some time with that declaration, but he agreed because he was a good citizen. But after few years he was was called back to court at least one time just to say that what he wrote in that declaration is true. And he lost another half day. They can call you anytime they want and you need to go, even for stupid lawyer things. And if your are not going as witness when court wants, the police will come at your home and take you by force into the court. That TV star was very close to that thing because he refused to go to make the same thing he made sometime back.

In my country the system in not helping the people but helping only the people with decision and coercitive functions from that system. Is something like an official mafia system above any law because they are creating the laws for their benefits.

So the best is to not see and hear anything at look only at your own way.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Here is a very well known TV star which said his witness story about some accident: he declared at police what happened and signed. He lost some time with that declaration, but he agreed because he was a good citizen. But after few years it was was called back to court at least one time just to say that what he wrote in that declaration is true. And he lost another half day. They can call you anytime they want and you need to go, even for stupid lawyer things. And if your are not going as witness when court wants, the police will come at your home and take you by force into the court.

Australia has the same type of process where you will be forced to go if you don't go willingly

Years ago I was involved in an accident that were it not for witnesses, the lying driver who hit me would have gotten away with his lies. So now if I see an accident I always leave my information with the police.

Did this recently with my "fed-ex" vid on youtube. Didn't get involved at the scene, simply sent a link to fed-ex.
Witnessed a parked car being bumped a few times by some dozy woman who simply couldn't/shouldn't be driving - left my details on a bit of paper under the wiper (police contacted me).
Witnessed another prang in a car park, the driver at fault was making a huge deal. Stayed out of it but hung around & gave my details to the victim. Again, contacted by police & not only gave details of the incident BUT also all the insults & abuse that the crazy driver was giving out.
I believe it's the duty of every law-abiding driver to do what they can to get the morons off the roads or at least make sure they get what they deserve.

Saw a semi truck try to change lanes, except that there was a car driving in his blind spot. Lots of black tire marks all along the side of the car, but no injuries. I told the police I had a video of it if either party wanted it, but was never contacted.

Back