If your dash cam films a road rage confrontation, can you press charges based on the video evidence alone?

dogluvvr233

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are the victim of a road rage attack where your car is at a stoplight or traffic jam and the other driver gets out and approaches your car, banging on the window, would video evidence be enough to press charges?
I am in the market for a dash cam or dash cam system that would cover the driver's side window along with the front and rear and wondering if this happened and I had video evidence that showed their license plate and
their face threatening me, would the police be able to charge the other driver? I realize this is more of a legal question but wondering if anyone has experience with it. I had it happen to me once, with a child in the car and
if it were ever to happen again, I'd like to know whether or not I have the ability to press charges

Yes, if a crime was actually committed. FWIW, you haven’t described a crime above.

Yes, if a crime was actually committed. FWIW, you haven’t described a crime above.

Threatening someone is a crime. Depending on the exact situation could be something like harassment, disorderly conduct or obstruction of traffic.

If all that happened is they got out of the car and knocked on the window, might be a tough sell.

If.. you lived in Florida.. just carry a gun and shoot the guy.. Evidently.. if you feel threatened you have the right to shoot someone.. except.. and you never said, if you are colored or a visible minority the above does not apply.

Is it really not a crime if someone is storming towards your car, threatening to kick your a$$ and banging on the windows? I'm not a lawyer obviously but I believe making a criminal threat against someone and
acting in a way that you intent of carry it out would be a crime. Crime backed up with video evidence.

I think it depends of the behavior give you get :finger: to bad. To show off a gun or point it a you, I will take it as a threat.
If you show police the video, there will determine if there is a reason, for a further investigation. There is always two site of a story.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Dash Cam Discussion 0
G Dash Cam Discussion 0
I Dash Cam Discussion 6
B Dash Cam Discussion 6
S Dash Cam Discussion 8
Back